my new computer with windows 8

Was trying to buy a DVD version of 8.1 Pro and came across the following review in Amazon:

"I just upgraded to 8.1 pro and I like my privacy - I do not want my personal thoughts read until the thoughts are fully formed, I do not want my documents or personal photographs on the cloud to were the FBI can make a profile on me because of "The Patriot Act" - as this is goal of where Windows 8.1 has headed. All the money I spent on this new computer and the computer now belongs to Microsoft as they stole my password to my computer as you must log-in to Microsoft to change your password; I am afraid to use my computer as it may betray me or give-a-way valuable info. Windows 8.1 is following the FACEBOOK model of evil at the top! god help us, please."

Any truth to it? ;)

Not really.

During 8.1 installation the system will try to get you to log into your live account. If you do, the live identity provider functions as a sort of mini domain controller; your authentication is local but the authority is in the cloud. So if you have for instance multiple machines, all your passwords stay in sync automatically and so on. 

The rub is that (1) in the 8.0->8.1 transition MS took away the explicit and available-to-idiots option to skip this and use a local set of credentials and (2) the work around is not obvious, I guess. When you get to that point, disconnect your internet connection. The remote authentication will fail, and you are offered the option to continue with local credentials. 

Whoop-de-doo. 

Solved.

• Like 2
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• T.S.

• miles-high

• Cipro

• thebob

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I didn't need a new computer but had some money burning a hole in my pocket so I went to best buy in the usa and bought a new asus with windows 8.Its a 11.6 inch screen with touch screen and touch pad

I usually try to stay out of religious discussions but....   I'm in the same camp as you, windows is an operating system that works, it's just a tool, an inanimate object....   Some people have pr

I found the writer of that review...   Cipro basically covered it...   SkyDrive was integrated similar to iCloud on OSX/iOS, so they really push for people to login with a Microsoft account.

Any truth to it? ;)

I found the writer of that review...

zUnr8eD.jpg

Cipro basically covered it...

SkyDrive was integrated similar to iCloud on OSX/iOS, so they really push for people to login with a Microsoft account. You have probably already seen some of the SkyDrive and other MS service integration on your Surface. If you use the same MS account for multiple devices, some things can automatically sync between them.

Edited by T.S.
  • Like 2
throttleplate

when i first booted up my new comp i was asked to open up a microsoft account but i got around it,also after install 8.1 also asked to open microsft accnt but got around that also.Go to settings and click on change pc settings and find the section where you have the option of letting them use your pics and webcam and other things to follow you and turn that stuff off as i did.i dont use anything that requires to open a microsft accnt such as skyline.

• Like 1

So far MS has been on a fast release cycle and allowing free upgrades. I doubt that will hold with 9, but I doubt next version is 9.0 too. Maybe 8.2 or something. It's releasing in the spring.

miles-high

some things can automatically sync between them

That has been a big problem for me – I use 2 WP8 phones, one for business, the other personal… The address books on both phones, including Skype and those on Surface appear to try to sync names/phone numbers – phones are color-coded but still confusing… I guess I will have to replace at least one phone with other OS... :(

That has been a big problem for me – I use 2 WP8 phones, one for business, the other personal… The address books on both phones, including Skype and those on Surface appear to try to sync names/phone numbers – phones are color-coded but still confusing… I guess I will have to replace at least one phone with other OS... :(

Couldn't you just make another Microsoft account to use only on the business phone?

• Like 1
miles-high

Couldn't you just make another Microsoft account to use only on the business phone?

Mmmm, possible but I use the same account for Skype and both phones have Skype... Confusing... hehe ;)