• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• T.S.

• miles-high

• Cipro

• thebob

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I didn't need a new computer but had some money burning a hole in my pocket so I went to best buy in the usa and bought a new asus with windows 8.Its a 11.6 inch screen with touch screen and touch pad

I usually try to stay out of religious discussions but....   I'm in the same camp as you, windows is an operating system that works, it's just a tool, an inanimate object....   Some people have pr

I found the writer of that review...   Cipro basically covered it...   SkyDrive was integrated similar to iCloud on OSX/iOS, so they really push for people to login with a Microsoft account.

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

So I can just install it on all my non-Apple hardware then ... No!!?

OSX is free in PRECISELY the same way Windows on a Dell is "free". You are granted a prepaid license to use it on the computer. In the case of Apple, you are granted a prepaid license to use it and free upgrades. Same same. 

I've had a lot of Windows 8.1 systems by now, all of them are better than they were with 7. Perhaps it's you?

Well, I don't know. Computer working fine one day, get  notification for update from 8 to 8.1 and after update computer crawls along so slow, takes minutes to open a browser window. So I google the problem and get pages of people having the same complaint - Id venture to guess its not just me.

Did you notice the shutdown option added to the start button right click in 8.1?

That is one more click isn't it?

That is one more click isn't it?

No... 7 and previous required a left click on the start button, now in 8.1 it is a right click on the start button to get the same shutdown option.

8 required an additional step to shutdown through the start screen.

Both 8 and 8.1 also have a shutdown option on the CTRL+ALT+DEL screen.

Edited by T.S.
throttleplate

i am the one whom started this post and i must say after 5 days using windows 8 and the touch screen on the new ASUS i am 100% sold on the touchscreen.I stopped using the touchpad and pointer to scroll and click on,i just tap screen with my finger very lightly,in fact you can change the setting on how hard of a tap you want to perform and presto.

I went and used my Toshibia windows 7 yesterday just to get some use on it and i caught myself wanting to touch the screen and was actually a little dumbfounded with using the touchpad and pointer to scroll and navigate.Its amazing how before i wanted nothing to do with 8 and especially a touchscreen but after buying this asus i became a believer and bet that others whom scoff at a touchscreen on a laptop would soon come to like its functionability. 

• Like 2

Well, I don't know. Computer working fine one day, get  notification for update from 8 to 8.1 and after update computer crawls along so slow, takes minutes to open a browser window. So I google the problem and get pages of people having the same complaint - Id venture to guess its not just me.

Maybe a hardware issue, I'd contact the vendor. 

I have 8.1 on maybe a half dozen VMs, a Lenovo 530, a Lenovo desktop, an Acer 8" tablet, a Surface Pro, an Eee netbook, and probably a few others I'm forgetting. People in the office use it on a similar number of machines. No reported issues except for one pre-release machine that had driver issues. 

In fact ... my experience has been that 8.x is faster than 7 or Vista. There have been significant efforts put into making it more optimal for smaller (tablet and small notebook) platforms. 

Edited by Cipro
  • Like 2
throttleplate

Yesterday i did the 8.1 windows download,took 1 1/2 hr,now my computer is set up in desktop and looks just like windows 7,i really like the tile page and the touch screen is amazing,happy i bought thia asus with windows 8-8.1

• Like 2

Yesterday i did the 8.1 windows download,took 1 1/2 hr,now my computer is set up in desktop and looks just like windows 7,i really like the tile page and the touch screen is amazing,happy i bought thia asus with windows 8-8.1

I'm less thrilled with 8 than I am with 8.1, but with 8.1 and setting a few options, I find it more useable than 7 plus a bit less bloated. How often do you say that about an OS upgrade?

• Like 1
miles-high

Well, I have been using the Surface Pro 8.1 and getting another Surface Pro2 8.1 for x-mas, I might as well upgrade my desktop to 8.1… even though there might be one or two extra steps may be required to operate 8.1, I guess I would get used to it sooner or later…

My desktop is connected to 3 “non-touch panel” 24” displays and occasionally a 55” LCD is added… Are there any “inconveniences” using non-touch panels to 8.1? Just wondering… :)

Well, I have been using the Surface Pro 8.1 and getting another Surface Pro2 8.1 for x-mas, I might as well upgrade my desktop to 8.1… even though there might be one or two extra steps may be required to operate 8.1, I guess I would get used to it sooner or later…

My desktop is connected to 3 “non-touch panel” 24” displays and occasionally a 55” LCD is added… Are there any “inconveniences” using non-touch panels to 8.1? Just wondering… :)

I can't think of any inconveniences, I also have a 3 monitor setup. Most things work the same as previous versions. The start screen only shows up on 1 monitor, your mouse scroll wheel scrolls it to the side instead of your finger on the screen.

Some of the full screen "tablet style" apps being set as defaults was annoying at first... internet explorer, photo gallery, and possibly Skype if I remember correctly, but I quickly switched those to the normal desktop versions.

• Like 1

but I quickly switched those to the normal desktop versions.

That's what I'm using... ofcourse as I do not have a touch screen, but secondly most of those apps seem to require you are online connected... meaning Google/Microsoft/assholes can monitor your activities....

Linux/Ubuntu//Mint ..... ;)

• Like 1
miles-high

Was trying to buy a DVD version of 8.1 Pro and came across the following review in Amazon:

"I just upgraded to 8.1 pro and I like my privacy - I do not want my personal thoughts read until the thoughts are fully formed, I do not want my documents or personal photographs on the cloud to were the FBI can make a profile on me because of "The Patriot Act" - as this is goal of where Windows 8.1 has headed. All the money I spent on this new computer and the computer now belongs to Microsoft as they stole my password to my computer as you must log-in to Microsoft to change your password; I am afraid to use my computer as it may betray me or give-a-way valuable info. Windows 8.1 is following the FACEBOOK model of evil at the top! god help us, please."

Any truth to it? ;)

Was trying to buy a DVD version of 8.1 Pro and came across the following review in Amazon:

"I just upgraded to 8.1 pro and I like my privacy - I do not want my personal thoughts read until the thoughts are fully formed, I do not want my documents or personal photographs on the cloud to were the FBI can make a profile on me because of "The Patriot Act" - as this is goal of where Windows 8.1 has headed. All the money I spent on this new computer and the computer now belongs to Microsoft as they stole my password to my computer as you must log-in to Microsoft to change your password; I am afraid to use my computer as it may betray me or give-a-way valuable info. Windows 8.1 is following the FACEBOOK model of evil at the top! god help us, please."

Any truth to it? ;)

Perhaps, not that bad... but who knows....

Sometime ago I posted something like you are watched... some people here were upset.... now I am more upset as it is all true... Swedish FRA are cooperating with the US part of it.....  :(