my new computer with windows 8

thebob

thebob: Have you considered a Chromebook? Microsoft has started running anti-Chromebook ads here in the US ("don't get scroogled"), which indicates to me that they must be making serious inroads against Windows -- but I haven't any idea how good they are.

Then you are locked into Android and not Micro$oft. I think I'm better off just buying a used/refurb Mac.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• T.S.

• miles-high

• Cipro

• thebob

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I didn't need a new computer but had some money burning a hole in my pocket so I went to best buy in the usa and bought a new asus with windows 8.Its a 11.6 inch screen with touch screen and touch pad

I usually try to stay out of religious discussions but....   I'm in the same camp as you, windows is an operating system that works, it's just a tool, an inanimate object....   Some people have pr

I found the writer of that review...   Cipro basically covered it...   SkyDrive was integrated similar to iCloud on OSX/iOS, so they really push for people to login with a Microsoft account.

throttleplate

I just bought pretty much the same thing at Best Buy, only it's a Toshiba and cost $229. I'm very pleased with it. 

I was very dubious about buying a Windows 8, but I've adapted very quickly. I upgraded to 8.1 a few days ago and having the start icon on the lower left pretty much satisfies my only serious complaint about it.

thebob: Have you considered a Chromebook? Microsoft has started running anti-Chromebook ads here in the US ("don't get scroogled"), which indicates to me that they must be making serious inroads against Windows -- but I haven't any idea how good they are.

i originally went to best buy to purchase the same toshiba you bought,as i was waiting for salesman to get it from back room i seen the asus and liked the small size and always wanted a smaller one to compliment my bigger toshibia satellite.The asus will be my backup in the ph but now that i am using it with the new touchscreen,it has now in just 2 days become my favorite computer and i am enjoying using the touchscreen more and more.I may install 8.1 but so far no need.

Then you are locked into Android and not Micro$oft. I think I'm better off just buying a used/refurb Mac.

What are your OS options there? Can you get a refund for OSX?

Kodiak570

I want to buy a computer without Windows… but nobody seems to sell them. And I can't get a refund for Windows that I don't want. Is my only option to build one myself?

Pretty much build it yourself, or get a barebones kit:

http://www.newegg.com/Barebone-PCs/SubCategory/ID-3

It's just a prebuilt system with no OS installed. Just have to make sure the components and what you want to use it for are compatible with your chosen OS.

Notebooks as well:

http://www.computershopper.com/feature/build-your-own-laptop-preparing-your-build

http://www.newegg.com/Barebone-PCs/SubCategory/ID-3

thebob

What are your OS options there? Can you get a refund for OSX?

OSX is free these days! You can install anything you want on a Mac and Apple supply the drivers. Most winbox manufacturers leaves you for dead without drivers just upgrading windows, let alone changing OS.

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Windoze 8.1 rendered my computer unuseable. I didnt have the time or patients for Microshits poor product.quality anymore so i went out and bought a Macbook Pro.

Ive since got my computer somewhat useable again by deleting and creating a new user account - but why put up with this crap?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I didn't need a new computer but had some money burning a hole in my pocket so I went to best buy in the usa and bought a new asus with windows 8.Its a 11.6 inch screen with touch screen and touch pad with 4gb memory and 320 drive using intel processor,cost $249.00.

I bought my ASUS a year ago for 6 times that money and no touchscreen. It's a Zenbook such as this .

Very thin, 13 inch screen with win 8. A nice piece. Costly though.

OSX is free these days! You can install anything you want on a Mac and Apple supply the drivers. Most winbox manufacturers leaves you for dead without drivers just upgrading windows, let alone changing OS.

So I can just install it on all my non-Apple hardware then ... No!!?

OSX is free in PRECISELY the same way Windows on a Dell is "free". You are granted a prepaid license to use it on the computer. In the case of Apple, you are granted a prepaid license to use it and free upgrades. Same same. 

Windoze 8.1 rendered my computer unuseable. I didnt have the time or patients for Microshits poor product.quality anymore so i went out and bought a Macbook Pro.

Ive since got my computer somewhat useable again by deleting and creating a new user account - but why put up with this crap?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I've had a lot of Windows 8.1 systems by now, all of them are better than they were with 7. Perhaps it's you?

• Like 1
mistaeric

OSX is free in PRECISELY the same way Windows on a Dell is "free". You are granted a prepaid license to use it on the computer. In the case of Apple, you are granted a prepaid license to use it and free upgrades. Same same. 

I've had a lot of Windows 8.1 systems by now, all of them are better than they were with 7. Perhaps it's you?

No it aint just him,Windows 8 sucks in my opinion also. Microsoft got a big backlash,so my hunch is its thousands that are not satisfied with windows 8.

No it aint just him,Windows 8 sucks in my opinion also. Microsoft got a big backlash,so my hunch is its thousands that are not satisfied with windows 8.

I see very little difference in 8.1 vs 7, so I'm a little curious what the issue is. As for 8, it was OK but it wasn't as discoverable as it could have been for low-skill users. 

• Like 2
thebob

Yes.

http://www.hackintosh.com/#hackintosh_instructions

OSX is free in PRECISELY the same way Windows on a Dell is "free". You are granted a prepaid license to use it on the computer.

No you don't have to bother with all of that registration malarkey.

Windows just blows chunks, and don't get me started on Office or Flash.

I see very little difference in 8.1 vs 7, so I'm a little curious what the issue is.

I usually try to stay out of religious discussions but....

I'm in the same camp as you, windows is an operating system that works, it's just a tool, an inanimate object....

Some people have problems with it and tend to hate it with a passion that should be reserved for their worst enemies.   This is hate is evidenced by the emotionally charged words they use and the fact that, in their eyes, if you like windows you're an idiot. 

To my thinking, that's just silly.

Personally I like windows 8, it's interface is slightly different than previous versions but it not that difficult to adjust to - the world moves on.

Btw, I've been a software developer since the mid 80's and my entire career has been based on the writing software for the windows platform (after windows 3.1 came out, prior to that DOS).

• Like 2
thebob

Btw, I've been a software developer since the mid 80's and my entire career has been based on the writing software for the windows platform (after windows 3.1 came out, prior to that DOS).

I have to be platform agnostic because of work, but I feel that the Microsoft food chain has just held back the industry for about the last 2 decades.

It's all in the browser these days anyway isn't it?

I have to be platform agnostic because of work, but I feel that the Microsoft food chain has just held back the industry for about the last 2 decades.

It's all in the browser these days anyway isn't it?

How did MS hold back the industry?

Agree about browser but I used MS Visual Studio for my development work so it's still MS.