my new computer with windows 8

throttleplate

I didn't need a new computer but had some money burning a hole in my pocket so I went to best buy in the usa and bought a new asus with windows 8.Its a 11.6 inch screen with touch screen and touch pad with 4gb memory and 320 drive using intel processor,cost $249.00.

My other computer has windows 7 and I have another with vista with 7 being the best.I was going to install windows 8.1 on the new asus which requires me to just click on the install icon already waiting in the computer but after 1/2 an hour I said why bother as I made yahoo my homepage and and I found all the control panels and settings with no problem.

Its to me just the same as 7 other than the tile page when it first boots up but just click on the tile designated for the browser you designated it to go to.I actually swore I wouldn't ever buy a comp with 8 as I heard most people complaining and just looking at the tile page freaked me out but now I have one and it is no problem,i even catch myself using my finger on the screen to do what the pad and pointer could do but finger is actually faster in some cases.Very happy with windows 8.

• Like 2
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• T.S.

• miles-high

• Cipro

• thebob

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I didn't need a new computer but had some money burning a hole in my pocket so I went to best buy in the usa and bought a new asus with windows 8.Its a 11.6 inch screen with touch screen and touch pad

I usually try to stay out of religious discussions but....   I'm in the same camp as you, windows is an operating system that works, it's just a tool, an inanimate object....   Some people have pr

I found the writer of that review...   Cipro basically covered it...   SkyDrive was integrated similar to iCloud on OSX/iOS, so they really push for people to login with a Microsoft account.

I have always liked Windows 8 and 8.1. I think many people complained as soon as they saw the new start screen without ever giving it a chance.

8.1 has a few nice updates. You can set it to go straight to the desktop instead of the start screen when you login. 2 new start screen tile sizes are added, one smaller and one larger. There is a visible start button added back to the bottom left corner, but I always just press the windows key instead which is faster.

miles-high

I had a Bluetooth connection problem with 8 (intermittent)... It’s gone with the 8.1 update… :)

Still it takes one more finger tap to shut it down than 7… :D

I had a Bluetooth connection problem with 8 (intermittent)... It’s gone with the 8.1 update… :)

Still it takes one more finger tap to shut it down than 7:D

Did you notice the shutdown option added to the start button right click in 8.1?

miles-high

Yes, but only if you are using a mouse... right click on the glidepad wouldn't do...

Yes, but only if you are using a mouse... right click on the glidepad wouldn't do...

I forgot that you have a Surface. Doesn't touch and hold replicate the right mouse click? I haven't used Windows 8 on a touch screen much.

miles-high

No... it goes to the Start page with tiles... :( I am getting a Surface 2 next week but probably the same... It's rather complicated (for me anyway) - on the Desktop page, it's good with a Win8 mouse, the Start page with tiles, better without a mouse... May be there are more shortcuts, I am still learning... :)

I just got a new 13" ultrabook and specifically searched for one with Windows 7 as win8 sucks arse and most of the software I use for work doesnt work with it.

thebob

I want to buy a computer without Windows… but nobody seems to sell them. And I can't get a refund for Windows that I don't want. Is my only option to build one myself?

Majorsco

I want to buy a computer without Windows… but nobody seems to sell them. And I can't get a refund for Windows that I don't want. Is my only option to build one myself?

You can buy the one with windows, format the disk drive and install what you want.

Or, you can have two operating systems installed to the same computer( separate disk partitions each with a different o/s. I used to work with software developers and this was common for them. It's not easy if you're not well versed on this procedure.

miles-high

http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/laptops.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&~ck=mn#!facets=80770~0~1791343&p=1

The installed OS is ostensively free, therefore, you will get what you are looking for… :D

• Like 1

Some exist, but they can be hard to find...

http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/xps-13-linux/pd

You will often end up with a better computer for the money by building yourself anyway if you are talking about a desktop.

• Like 2
thebob

This is what drives be mad the same XPS with windows is about $200 cheaper. I just don't want to support companies that try and pull that kind of trick.

http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/xps-13-9333/pd?~srd=true&sk=XPS%2013&scat=prod

You will often end up with a better computer for the money by building yourself anyway if you are talking about a desktop.

But you end up with a huge pig ugly box that howls like a wind tunnel.

But you end up with a huge pig ugly box that howls like a wind tunnel.

That is really all up to you... I built some big, ugly, and loud ones in the past.

I finally realized that I never needed everything on a full size ATX motherboard, so on my newest desktop I went with a smaller Micro-ATX motherboard. I put it inside a smaller black cooler master mid-tower case instead of a full tower like I had used in the past, and installed a big cooler master hyper 212 plus CPU cooler with a quiet fan that automatically adjusts speed as needed. It is the smallest, quietest, and highest performance desktop that I have built so far.

I might try to drop down 1 more size to Mini-ITX on my next one if I can fit everything that I want and cool it without too much noise. I still need to do more research on it and look at other peoples builds.

I didn't need a new computer but had some money burning a hole in my pocket so I went to best buy in the usa and bought a new asus with windows 8.Its a 11.6 inch screen with touch screen and touch pad with 4gb memory and 320 drive using intel processor,cost $249.00.

I just bought pretty much the same thing at Best Buy, only it's a Toshiba and cost $229. I'm very pleased with it. 

I was very dubious about buying a Windows 8, but I've adapted very quickly. I upgraded to 8.1 a few days ago and having the start icon on the lower left pretty much satisfies my only serious complaint about it.

thebob: Have you considered a Chromebook? Microsoft has started running anti-Chromebook ads here in the US ("don't get scroogled"), which indicates to me that they must be making serious inroads against Windows -- but I haven't any idea how good they are.

• Like 2