Sign in to follow this  
billy

Little Siagon Big Bangkok Restaurant

billy

Thai food. I ate at little bangkok at entrance to maria louisa last night. Ambiance very nice you can either eat outside or inside air con. We ate outside. Ordered pad thai and it was excellent. Had the shrimp spicy soup i forget the name it was awful the taste was odd and a few micro shrimp with a few mushrooms what a dissapointment. Bill with 2 iced teas was 759 pesos. A few days earlier went to krua thai in banilad town center and had seafood with noodles was excellent and chicken coconut soup excellent also. The portions were big. With two iced teas bill was 520...

• Like 1

SomeRandomGuy

used to be a good.

went their twice and last time everything i wanted to order was out of stock sir.

I mean like half the freaking menu

MikeMS

Yes I not sure what happened there. This place was our favorite when it was in Guadalupe but the quality has seemed to slip at the new location. I also noticed that we don't see the owner around like we use that might explain the drop off.

Brucewayne

Yes I not sure what happened there. This place was our favorite when it was in Guadalupe but the quality has seemed to slip at the new location. I also noticed that we don't see the owner around like we use that might explain the drop off.

You might notice that a lot.

Once a restaurant becomes popular, they cheapen the food and raise the prices, running business off and running out of stock.

That seems to be the main reason that so many restaurants fail here.

Look at Moon's in Park Plaza and Ayala, they used to have good food and decent servings and were full of middle class customers, but once they changed the value of their menu, most of the middle class customers disappeared and were replaced by locals who are looking for "cheap".

udonthani

although I am reliably informed that such a thing exists, I have been very unlucky in my life and have never had a decent Thai meal in a restaraunt outside Thailand. In fact I have now given up trying, and do not venture into Thai restaraunts any more as the inevitable outcome saddens me. Just sometimes, I get a basic green curry from my local UK Chinese takeaway, the dish being so simple that even a total idiot would find it very difficult to make a mess of it.

mikejwoodnz

Mr Whippy I agree with you Thai food doesn't seem to "travel" very well.

samatm

I love this restaurant  and the Name is  Little Saigon Big Bangkok .. and I hate to see it get trampled in a forum because of single negative comment.      The menu is not purely Thai but a combo fusion with mostly Vietnamese and Thai foods.   and the Chef and his wife are foodies that travel well and bring in new exotic items.  Cebu is very fortunate to have  a place like  Little Saigon Big Bangkok.  Dont take my word for it.. look at Trip advisor.    

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g298460-d3158428-Reviews-Little_Saigon_Big_Bangkok_Restaurant-Cebu_City_Cebu_Visayas.html.  

• Like 2

Mactan Mark

I never been there, but I want to mention a place here in Mactan. Orient Spice Gourmet located in Basak Lapu Lapu next to the Jolibee on the second floor http://www.istorya.net/forums/food-and-dining-18/600017-hole-wall-oriental-spice-gourmet.html I was very impressed with the dishes I ordered and the prices are cheap

Edited by Mactan Mark
  • Like 1

Monsoon

Its ridiculous what they charge for Thai food in the Philippines. Commanding 'exotic foreign cuisine' prices for street food. Seeing as it is usually of marginal quality at best - I rarely eat Thai food here. 

• Like 1

udonthani

Its ridiculous what they charge for Thai food in the Philippines. Commanding 'exotic foreign cuisine' prices for street food. Seeing as it is usually of marginal quality at best - I rarely eat Thai food here. 

it is only 'street food' in Thailand, not here.

Thai food in the UK also fetches higher prices, around 30% more than Indian food usually does, purely because the vendors can get away with it and it is seen as more 'exotic'. Not because - and this is a myth - that the ingredients cost any much more.

but in Thailand itself it works in reverse. Go to the upper floor food court in MBK next time you are there and head for the bit that sells Indian food. You will find their curries are getting on for almost double the price of the Thai ones - again, because they are 'exotic'.

cebulover2000

We always go to Krua Thai at SM, excellent service and food, big portions. Prices have been the same for years and even affordable for Filipinos when you share a meal. Went to the place right beside it last week called "Chikka an Cebu", half the portions and higher prices - I know it's not Thai but good as comparison. We have been to Bangkok several times and I can't say that I like the food better - but I remember some of the food being so spice that I couldn't finish my meal.

Edited by cebulover2000

lamoe

udonthani

Same happens here (US). Got hooked on Pad Thai when I lived in Chicago.

Had to drive about 50 Km but they made it for me with Ghost Peppers.

Have tried several places where I live now (Rockford). Better off eating pre-packaged crap and way too expensive.

Finally talked to owner on the newest one and he admitted that they modify main menu for American taste. Then gave me hidden menu with the real stuff. Has several other Bhoot Jolokia eaters. 

Edited by lamoe

udonthani

the worst Thai meal I ever ate in my life ever, was in the Haight district of San Francisco, very surprising to me as even though it is a tourist area, you would still expect there to be a good a supply of inexpensive but good eateries there. It was so bad, we refused to pay for it but because we were starving, we did eat the rice and paid for that. We stormed out, telling them they were garbage. Surreal experience.

I never have problems with noodles served up a la Chinese/Singapore/Malaysian style, in fact the arrival of lots of noodle bars in my UK hometown (that significantly are there mostly to cater to the large influx of Chinese students who will not put up with any old crap) has been brilliant. But with Thai food, almost every time I've eaten it outside Thailand, there is always something not right about it.

Monsoon

The best solution i found for this problem was sending my wife to Thai cooking school for a week. She thoroughly enjoyed it and I got to relax and have some "me" time while she was away. Each day she brought home enough food for an army. And honestly it tasted identical to the food I bought locally.

Attention to ingredients is important. For example we take back Thai fish sauce when we visit, along with a few other ingredients..substituting filipino fish sauce is not the same, not to me anyway. And one time my wife made me a dish and I told her it didnt taste right what did she do differently? She informed me she had run out of something and subbed a local equivelent.

Anyway sending her to cooking class in Thailand was a good investment. Not that thai cooking is complicated to learn on your own - but it gave her something she enjoyed on holiday.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

udonthani

I went to that Chiang Mai Cookery School on one of my earlier visits to Thailand back in '97. Back then, it was the only one in Chiang Mai. Now there's loads. I still have the recipe book that was included in the price, and to this day make Tod Man Pla in the same way they do. And always in bulk. I do maybe 150 of them once a year and just put them in the freezer to eat over a period of months. I also used to bring back fish sauce and also Thai style chili sauce, but now you can get those in the UK easily. 15 years ago, you couldn't. Coriander and lemongrass and all main classic Thai ingredients are not hard to find and they have got easier to find too as even small corner shops in the UK sell all sorts of international food they did not before, including large sacks of Thai rice which just about everyone, not just Thais, knows is the best.