Yakiniku, Shabu-shabu, Seafood, and Indian food

passingby

In general Cebu rates about a -29 on a scale of -30 to +10 for international food but Philippines at least for me has and easy permanent visa.  For Indian there is a small place back of Cebu Doc Hospital Firozian which is not bad.  Had a nasty counter girl in the past but she I think is gone now.  Not that expensive also.  Try the little Thai place also in the walkway at Sanpagita (or how ever you spell it) mall run by a Thai guy also not so bad.

Edited by passingby

Mr India in Country Mall? I've eaten twice and although not wow, it's pretty good. Just depends on how much of a curry 'snob' you are?

-Yup, that's the place. Thing is, for Indian/Middle-eastern food, ambiance plays a big part. It cant be the typical fast food-ish kind of place since I will be bringing in guests. Buutt, I guess giving it a shot wouldn't hurt.

Cebu city's reputation for appalling cuisine, is deserved. It has not improved.

- Disappointingly, yes, I most certainly have to agree.

I usually try this place at least once when I am in Cebu…

http://captain-as.com/

for a conversation piece… :D

-Thanks. I'll definitely check it out. Probably around next week.

Although I'm not American, I can certainly appreciate their thinking here. No point going to eat somewhere and coming away still feeling hungry!

-I second the motion. Lolz.

in the US, it veers off to the other extreme. There the portions can be so ludicrously large, it's funny.

-For me, quality (taste, flavor, etc) + portion = goes hand in hand. But yeah, Middle eastern countries aswell serve their food in large quantities. That's why I love going back there. Yummm :) 

miles-high

Well, you just have to love the Boodle Fight.

I always ask for a knife and fork there... :D

miles-high

-For me, quality (taste, flavor, etc) + portion = goes hand in hand. But yeah, Middle eastern countries aswell serve their food in large quantities. That's why I love going back there. Yummm

I prefer small portion but 5 to 10 courses... :D

I was once invited to lunch with the president of the largest private company in France... they served 9 or 10 courses with 10 or 11 different aperitif/wine/liquors/digestif over the course of 4 hours or so... in the end I don't think I remembered what they were trying to sell me... hahah :D It was one of the most memorable lunches/dinners I ever had... :)

Headshot

no I wasn't. I'm always ok, no matter where I am. And I have certainly become a better cook, with all the time I have spent here.

I've had to. Because they are friggin' useless.

the girl who has been here for the past few days, but has now left, turned out to be one of the most useless ever. 5 minutes of just watching her in the kitchen and I realised it was hopeless and that I would have to do the cooking.

So...you are unhappy wherever you go? Maybe you should talk to a professional about that. As for you girl who was with you the last few days...I'm guessing it wasn't her cooking abilities that attracted you to her.

udonthani

So...you are unhappy wherever you go? Maybe you should talk to a professional about that. As for you girl who was with you the last few days...I'm guessing it wasn't her cooking abilities that attracted you to her.

I'm not unhappy anywhere. And I don't need anybody to cook for me as I can cook for myself and I enjoy it and also like to cook for other people although it is nice, when other people cook for me - if they can ; in my experience, many if not most girls here, can't cook very well and I think I have a good idea, although there can be quite a few reasons for this, as to why this is.

one of them is because with many of them there just hasn't been a right lot of food around when they were growing up, so they are not exposed to a very large range of dishes. And then there is all that stuff where they are different to us in that they don't need their meals to be hot. So when they make a breakfast of say omelette, egg, and pork and beans they do the omelette first and then just plop it down on a plate to eat in about 20 minutes while they get round to doing the rice and pork and beans. Unlike with at least most of us, it is not important that the food be hot.

Headshot

So...if you weren't unhappy, then why were you complaining that she was pretty much useless because of her inability to cook?

It has been my experience that young unmarried girls pretty much anywhere in the world are fairly useless in the kitchen. Women develop cooking skills AFTER they get married for the most part (of course, some NEVER figure out how to cook). Even my mother, who was an absolutely wonderful cook (from what I remember), said that she developed a taste for burned cookies early in her married life because it took her a while to get it right, and she didn't want to see the burned cookies go to waste. So...rather than feed the burned cookies to the family, she ate those herself. With more experience, and trying new things all the time, she became an excellent cook who seldom (if ever) got it wrong.

Again though, I doubt that you were with this girl because of her cooking abilities.

udonthani

So...if you weren't unhappy, then why were you complaining that she was pretty much useless because of her inability to cook?

Again though, I doubt that you were with this girl because of her cooking abilities.

I wasn't complaining. Just observing. There is a difference. It doesn't affect me at all, if they cannot cook. Why should it bother me. I can cook. I was brought up not to necessarily expect women to cook, clean and be some kind of domestic servant. And I pity guys, that do.

it is you that seems to be obsessed with women's cooking abilities, not me. I could not care less. It does not concern me, if they can cook or not. It is irrelevant.

it is true that many young women can't cook, and even those that can can forget how when they go to college or work in the city. Suddenly they are eating in caranderias and pot noodles all the time. After years and years, they can literally forget how to cook a meal for themselves. I observed this in Thailand and especially in Bangkok, well before I came to the Philippines.

miles-high

it is true that many young women can't cook

There are only 2 or 3 Michelin 3-star female chefs in the world… We were lucky to get a table last month at one of their restaurants … It cost us 1,560euro for dinner, breakfast and a 5-star room… Was it worth it? I really don’t know… :D

WP_20131023_001.jpgWP_20131022_002.jpg