Yakiniku, Shabu-shabu, Seafood, and Indian food

Would really appreciate if y'all could recommend some new spots for --

For Indian food:

-Ever since Taste of India closed down, Ive been having a hard time looking for a new joint to get my fill of Indian food (and Arabic food as well):( I especially need to find a replacement since most of our guest like Indian/pakistani food.

And No, [1] Persian palate just wont cut it. Absolutely not. [2] There is that Indian place in BTC and Curry House but I cant actually bring guests there so.. On to the next one. [3] Firozian is only good for shisha. Thats it.

For Yakiniku, I tried:

- Yaki: Ehhh its okay but tempura and noodles tasted old. Price and service are alright tho.

- Tajimaya in Lapu-lapu: Better than Yaki when it comes to taste but fewer selections with a smaller grill

- Wakamatsu: its the best among the 3. Priciest too.

Shabu-shabu:

I have yet to try the shabu-shabu's here in Cebu. I only know 3 places for this- the one in OPM and Parkmall doesnt really strike me as a good deal. Third spot would be a Korean shabu-shabu place in Banilad which I swear I will be trying one of these days.

For Seafood:

- Marriott was VERY DISAPPOINTING. Their selection and quality was way below par compared to that of Marriott, RW. Shucks, and I was so looking forward to that dinner.

- Im still hesitant to try ouster bay due to the mixed reviews Ive been reading. So I have to put it off till next time. Lolz.

Any new restaurant feedback would be freaking awesome.

Mr India in Country Mall? I've eaten twice and although not wow, it's pretty good. Just depends on how much of a curry 'snob' you are?

udonthani

Cebu city's reputation for appalling cuisine, is deserved. It has not improved.

I am in Moalboal at the moment and went to some quite refreshingly novel venture that probably won't last long. ASIAN FOOD STOP it was called. The idea, and it is not a bad one, is that you can choose between Indian, Thai, Filipino, Chinese, Malay and Indonesian main courses. Prices were not so bad. 150-200 for main courses, 35 peso for small SMs.

but there is no way I am going back although the food was not too bad, although tailored to unadventros palates. Because they have succumbed to an all too common disease here. They were just tight, on the portions.

food vendors here, just haven't got a clue. There is a reason why I usually cook for myself. In Thailand and Malaysia I never bothered.

udonthani

we paid 375 pesos for a supposed meal, and we did not even get fed properly.

THAT IS OUTRAGEOUS!!!!!!!

miles-high

For Seafood: - Marriott was VERY DISAPPOINTING. Their selection and quality was way below par compared to that of Marriott, RW. Shucks, and I was so looking forward to that dinner. - Im still hesitant to try ouster bay due to the mixed reviews Ive been reading. So I have to put it off till next time. Lolz.

I usually try this place at least once when I am in Cebu…

http://captain-as.com/

for a conversation piece… :D

• Like 2
thebob

I am in Moalboal at the moment and went to some quite refreshingly novel venture that probably won't last long. ASIAN FOOD STOP it was called. The idea, and it is not a bad one, is that you can choose between Indian, Thai, Filipino, Chinese, Malay and Indonesian main courses. Prices were not so bad. 150-200 for main courses, 35 peso for small SMs.

Food Stop is owned by a pair of Swedish chiefs, I expect them to continue for a long time they have been in business for a few years already. I highly recommend the place. 

udonthani

they weren't there. She served. And the portions were ludicrously small.

serving up small portions really is a stupid thing to do. Palates differ and one person's taste buds, are never the same as another's. But when the amount of food presented is just miniscule like it was there, well individual taste doesn't matter then.  Everyone can spot that.

mikejwoodnz

As a former Restaurateur I agree with  Mr Whippy. Food goes roughly 3/3/3 cost of product on the plate 1/3, cost of wages and production 1/3 and your overage (profit) the last 1/3rd if you can't make it balance then something is wrong - usually the rent is too high - No 1 Tip - don't ever rent - always buy the premises - then you can survive the ups and downs of popularity and adapt accordingly. The point is put plenty on the plate up to your 1/3rd of the sale price and the rest of the success will to a large extent take care of itself. The Wombat was also a classic example of how to do it all wrong - and he owned the premises LOL

Edit: to to too

Edited by mikejwoodnz
udonthani

every wise guy I ever met involved in selling food for a living always believed being generous with your portions, was a total no-brainer.

the customers always spot it and it also it effects them at a very elemental level. It is not a matter of taste. They also spot it very quickly when somebody starts off being generous when they open up and then, believing mistakenly that they are established, start getting tight.

Edited by udonthani
miles-high

Ask any Americans about the best restaurant in town and he/she would recommend such and such restaurant because they server more than you can eat… :D

johnboy999

Ask any Americans about the best restaurant in town and he/she would recommend such and such restaurant because they server more than you can eat… :D

Although I'm not American, I can certainly appreciate their thinking here. No point going to eat somewhere and coming away still feeling hungry!

udonthani

in the US, it veers off to the other extreme. There the portions can be so ludicrously large, it's funny.

Headshot

food vendors here, just haven't got a clue. There is a reason why I usually cook for myself. In Thailand and Malaysia I never bothered.

Yeah, I just don't know why you even bother with the Philippines. You were much happier in Thailand and Malaysia...  :cool:

udonthani

no I wasn't. I'm always ok, no matter where I am. And I have certainly become a better cook, with all the time I have spent here.

I've had to. Because they are friggin' useless.

the girl who has been here for the past few days, but has now left, turned out to be one of the most useless ever. 5 minutes of just watching her in the kitchen and I realised it was hopeless and that I would have to do the cooking.