One man’s view of driving in the Philippines…

miles-high

musicman666

Do you drive with your eyes open? Or do you use "The Force"?

I tend to use both ....but early mornings on the school run it's pure luck.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• udonthani

• thebob

• lamoe

• Brucewayne

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For visitors, my suggestion would be don’t drive… A chauffer-driven car can be had at only about $50 to $70 a day… It’s a steal if you consider the thousands of dollars you may need to spend if you go

You have to respect someone who appreciates- and accepts- their limitations.  Its the guys  behind the wheel with the same attitude who do NOT appreciate it that scare me.

Miles, you should have put a warning in the subject line. I bet when whippy saw those figures, he almost had a heart attack.           Been there. Done it. Actually, I have driven a jeepney from

Posted Images

I can give you one mans view of driving in the Philippines.

Dont.

sorry have put you on the defensive by prickling your national pride. You might think that somebody that supposedly loves their country would be concerned when evidence emerges that they may be falling short in a particular area.

you probably don't realise that the infant mortality stats in the USA are a national disgrace as well.

why don't you look at the figures pal. More people die on America's roads than they do in any other rich country. Here is list of the IMF's 10 richest countries in the world, in descending order of their rate of road traffic fatalities per 100,000 (criteria : minimum population of around 10 million).

USA 10.4

Belgium 8.1

Canada 6.8

France 6.4

Australia 6.1

Japan 5.2

Germany 4.4

Netherlands 3.9

Sweden 3.0

UK 2.75

the USA used to stand out on this list even more. However they have improved relatively, so it doesn't look quite so bad as it did.

Accurate statistic but like almost all facts presented as stand alone proof it is wrong. Even this chart doesn't tell whole story.

% of fatalities per mile vs speed vs number of miles driven per person at that speed.

The UK has 3.6 per 1 billion Km driven US 8.5

BUT UK doesn't have the winters our northern states do nor do they drive as many miles at speeds over 100 Km /hr

Also PR has 606 per 100,000 vehicles US = 15 = about same as P to USD  40 to 1?

Country    Road fatalities per 100,000 inhabitants per year        Road fatalities per 100,000 motor vehicles  Road fatalities per 1 billion vehicle-km r

Philippines                                 9.1                                                  606.1

United States of America          10.4                                                    15                                                                                        8.5

United Kingdom                      2.75                                                    5.1                                                                                      3.6

May 07, 2012 · WASHINGTON

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/07/highway-deaths-per-mile-f_n_1497546.html

The number of miles driven on America's roadways declined last year by 35.7 billion miles, or 1.2 percent, the safety administration said. There were 1.09 deaths per 100 million miles traveled, down slightly from 1.11 deaths in 2010. That's the lowest rate on record, NHTSA says.

http://newsroom.aaa.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Motor-Vehicle-Crashes-Fact-Sheet.pdf

The number of people killed annually in motor vehicle crashes in the United States remained consistently around 42,500 during the period of 1995 through 2007, reaching a low of 41,259 in 2007 and a high of 43,510 in 2005. In 2008, however, the number of people killed in crashes in the United States fell to its lowest level since 1961, to 37,261 (Federal Highway Administration [FHWA], 2011). The annual number of fatalities continued to decline in subsequent years, to 33,883 in 2009, 32,885 in 2010, and an estimated 32,310 in 2011 (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration [NHTSA], 2012a). 

Population-based and driver-based crash involvement rates both decreased by 33 percent

Edited by lamoe
  • Like 1
thebob

Population-based and driver-based crash involvement rates both decreased by 33 percent

But they are still very high compared with other developed countries. The US doesn't have a countrywide driver training standard, or vehicle safety inspection standards. Some states are better than others.

I drive every day here. I like it because i can drive on either side of the road and the middle. lol.

• Like 2

But they are still very high compared with other developed countries. The US doesn't have a countrywide driver training standard, or vehicle safety inspection standards. Some states are better than others.

No country drives as many high speed miles per vehicle owner as we do, that's my point. The average American drives 20,000 Km per year. 

On vacation I'll drive 5,000 Km total with over 2,000 at speeds of 120 Km hr. (Chicago to Orlando FL) average 120 Km hr for 20 hours of driving.

I drive 15 Km to go to a grocery store I like at speeds reaching 100 Km (legal limit) an hour and that's not on a highway (2 lane road).

Was in Germany on business. Wanted to go to bar that was 10 Km away. I was asked why when we have bars here and we never drive that far except on vacation.

udonthani

The average American drives 20,000 Km per year. 

what is an average American? Not every American drives cars.

the important thing is the car.

you see the average per car goes down, the more cars there are. In the UK 10 years ago, the average car did 9,200 miles a year. Now they do a thousand miles a year less, like 8,200 miles per year. But this does not mean that UK people are driving less. There are many more cars now than there were 10 years ago.

Edited by udonthani

Used national auto insurance statistics - I drove maybe 75,000 km year - wife maybe - 20. 

That's why lease cars have typically standard 20,000 km limit per year as part of contract.

Car in New York City lucky to see 10,000 Km. Texas outback maybe 175,000 Km.

As I said until statics show various ranges of speed vs accidents vs number of people driving totals are meaningless.

Look at PR 606 vs US 15 vs UK 5. 

There are 300 million cars in the USA 2012 (350 million citizens - that includes children)

According to the US Bureau of Transit Statistics for 2004 there are 243,023,485 registered passenger vehiclesin the US. Out of these roughly 243 million vehicles, 136,430,651 (56.13%) were classified as cars, while 91,845,327 (37.79%) were classified as “Other 2 axle, 4 tire vehicles,” presumably SUVs and pick-up trucks. Yet another 6,161,028 (2.53%) were classified as vehicles with 2 axles and 6 tires and 2,010,335 (0.82%) were classified as “Truck, combination.” There were approximately 5,780,870 motorcycles in the US in 2004, which accounts for 2.37% of all registered passenger vehicles.

JohnFromTexas

speed limits in the USA have historically been low, compared to Europe. For years there was a federal law restricting speeds to 55pmh across the entire country. People in the US do not drive faster than anyone else and never have, Speed on major highways - called 'motorways' in the UK is not really much of an issue as these are the places where the fewest fatalities take place. The most dangerous roads where speed really does kill people are in built up urban areas, followed by rural roads, not major highways.

Those 55mph speeds have been gone for almost 20 years now.  I drive on a road fairly regularly that has an 85mph speed limit.  70mph is the standard for most interestate highways. Yes, many european speed limits can be higher in places but:

1. We drive those high speeds far more frequently and for longer distances. Trips for hundreds and even a thousand miles or two or more are not uncommon in the US.  How about in the UK?  Almost everyone in the US has a car and almost no one uses public transportation.

2. Far more people per capita are driving them compared to Europe.

3. The weight of our vehicles is substantially higher on average than in europe.  It's the speed of the vehicles hitting combined with the mass that causes the damage.

• Like 1
udonthani

you seem to have trouble understanding that the very highest speeds are not the most dangerous speeds. UK Motorways are the very safest roads of all, despite the speeds that cars do on them being the highest.

speeding costs lives the most when it is a relatively low speed, but in a built up area, i.e. when a driver is doing 30 or 40mph, when he should be doing 20 or 25mph. Or on a bendy rural road, when he should be doing only 40, but is doing 55 or 60.

when cars are travelling at 80 or even 90mph, that is not so dangerous when they are on a highway or motorway where there are no bends, no intersections, and all the vehicles are going in the same direction.

ellenbrook2001

yes no discipline no courtesy i drove many times in MANILA years ago you have to be very aggressive or you never move in my own experience i prefer drive in PARIS they are crazy there but they obey the rules if you have an accident in PARIS the rules are the same if you PINOY or French but here has a foreigner even you are right they will found you wrong grrr that why i do not drive here anymore i am not going to pay some much money even i was right.

Borinquen

I dislike driving in Manila. My fav hobby is driving though, so any chance i get, you better believe i'm in the provinces tearing up some pavement. Driving from Makati to Subic Freeport soon... Can't wait :)

miles-high

i drove many times in MANILA years ago

I dislike driving in Manila.

Please be specific when you say “Manila” – are you referring to the city of Manila, Metro Manila, Greater Manila or NCR… :Dhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_Manila_Area

While I haven’t really driven within the city of Manila (in fact, I have been to the city of Manila only once in my 4 years here), driving other areas of Metro Manila (e.g., Makati, BGC) wouldn’t be too bad, particularly on Sundays…

I drive from the Makati area to Subic Bay a few times a month (acutally my driver drives except on Sundays when I can go faster haha ;)). As long as you leave early in the morning or around noon, it would be an easy drive… Hope you have an Easytrip installed on your car…

Enjoy! :)

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

speed limits in the USA have historically been low, compared to Europe. For years there was a federal law restricting speeds to 55pmh across the entire country. People in the US do not drive faster than anyone else and never have, Speed on major highways - called 'motorways' in the UK is not really much of an issue as these are the places where the fewest fatalities take place. The most dangerous roads where speed really does kill people are in built up urban areas, followed by rural roads, not major highways.

How many times have you driven on an expressway in the US in the last 5 years? Just curious before I totally discredit your ill informed statement which is spreading misinformation.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Borinquen

Please be specific when you say “Manila”

Well I haven't driven in all parts of Metro Manila. I enjoy driving in BGC and Makati which are the only areas I don't generally incur road rage.