One mans view of the Philippines

hoz

stingray615

Whatever the reason why he took the pictures, they're still great pictures.  All he's doing is capturing images of life as it happens and sharing them with the world.  That, IMO is a noble enough cause to take the pictures to begin with. If you've visited his blog and read the comments there, many are from locals, and they greatly appreciate his work. I'm happy to see young people with his enthusiasm doing something constructive, instead of the numerous other distasteful things that they usually do.

• Like 1
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• udonthani

• jtmwatchbiz

• BestGirl

• hoz

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ignorance is a matter of perspective.     The Parable of the Businessman and the Fisherman   An American investment banker was at the pier of a small coastal Mexican village when a small boat wit

Udonthani raises the questions what is happiness, what makes a people happy?   For undonthani's sake I do believe that not all happiness is orgasmic in nature.   From my own experiences I chose to be

http://www.idreamedofthis.com/2013/11/27/what-i-really-think-of-the-philippines/   Honest Observations From a Westerner On His Way Home     A little girl taking a break from digging through tras

rainymike

I think the word poverty is not the best word to use here. It really can mean vastly different things. 

Being poor, but with the means to feed and shelter the family may not be so bad. That can occur in both rural and urban settings. In rural areas they may be self-sufficient farmers or fishermen. In urban areas, they can be squatters with work. There is something romantic about this and it does make for great photos and great stories of the simple life.

But those who live simply without the means to feed and shelter themselves ... it's kinda shitty no matter how you want to cut it. 

I think in the Phils, you find both kinds of extremes and everything in between.

My biggest worry in raising my kids is that I am giving too much. That they don't know what it's like to be poor in the worst sense and how to dig down deep to pull yourself out of the muck and survive. I'm less concerned about happiness or not, or how much material wealth or not. More concerned about their survival instincts and ability - which I think is a valuable skill to have. 

Edited by rainymike
  • Like 4

I'm happy to see young people with his enthusiasm doing something constructive, instead of the numerous other distasteful things that they usually do.

Yowsa!

• Like 1

You are happy with what you know and the life you live. One cannot base ones own lifestyle on what somebody else might be happy with.

Sage words.

• Like 1
thebob

With all respect, I'd also think suicide might be practically slightly difficult for a (poor) local... What you gonna do... Swap your coconut for a revolver? Run out in the road and get hit by a jeepney doing 80 mph? :-)

I think even the poorest can save up for some rope!

• Like 1
jtmwatchbiz

I think even the poorest can save up for some rope!

even so...i'd check your yacht moorings to be safe :)

• Like 2

Nate gets some press:

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/338772/opinion/experiencing-yolanda-an-american-traveler-s-thoughts

Author's Note: I wrote this on Nov. 17th, just after going through the super typhoon with a family in Legazpi, Albay. 

2013_11_30_17_49_38.jpg
Nathan Allen
As an American, it really puts things in perspective when you see "My cousin is alive!" on your Facebook News Feed. 

Thankfully, I've seen similar posts for quite a few days now. It's one thing to see tragic typhoon stories on the news from the other side of the world, it's another thing entirely to be right in the middle of it, with close friends and loved ones confirmed dead, alive. . .or still missing. 

I myself was in the path of the storm as it entered the Philippines and at the time had no idea how bad things would get for others in this beautiful country. Myself, and the wonderful family I was with were quite lucky.

The following days were excruciating. With a Facebook friends list full of Filipinos, it seemed to be nothing but an endless stream of pain and sorrow. Tragic photos and desperate pleas for help from those I know well. Just about everybody has SOMEBODY who was affected by Typhoon Yolanda. It was almost too much to bear. I considered removing people from my news feed until things got better, not because I wanted to ignore what was happening, but just out of sheer self-preservation. 

I wasn't sure I could take it anymore, but I'm glad I stuck through it because, in the process, I feel I got just a “glimpse” of what it's truly like to be a Filipino.

What's it like to be knocked down? I mean REALLY knocked down, to get up, brush yourself off, and keep pushing on. . .even with a smile on your face. All the sadness and tragedy on my news feed, I wasn't sure it was "necessary" or helpful. But, in retrospect, I think it was part of the coping "process."

There's more at the link above.
  • Like 2
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

looks like the sham wow guy

udonthani

the guy knows feck all. He is still in the honeymoon stage, although he should be just about getting out of that now provided he isn't even more of a total numbskull than I think he is. He hasn't been coming here long enough.

Edited by udonthani
jtmwatchbiz

the guy knows feck all. He is still in the honeymoon stage, although he should be just about getting out of that now provided he isn't even more of a total numbskull than I think he is. He hasn't been coming here long enough.

i dunno...seems like a nice enough kid to me and is just talking about what he wants to talk about. no harm in that and his pics are pretty good too. however, if you feel this strongly about it then skip your boring polls on TV and rice and create your own blog with pics so you can enlighten everyone how it should be done :)

• Like 6

Swooooosh,            jtw's  been in the knife draw again

• Like 1