One mans view of the Philippines

hoz

udonthani

come on I've been coming to the Philippines for just as long as that. And I went to poorer places than this, the Philippines, in Africa for years before that too.

it is not the first time, I have come across the mindset of the OP.

they actually become disappointed, when somebody opens up a factory and people start getting jobs. They don't want to even take pictures of them coming out of the works with their hard hats on and looking forward to the first pay check they ever got in their lives, during the shift change. It has to be a bunch of totally grinning peasants sitting on their asses, in a hopeless situation and doing the best they possibly can, by laughing to keep from crying. Otherwise the photo-taking voyeurs like him, are not interested.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• udonthani

• jtmwatchbiz

• BestGirl

• hoz

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ignorance is a matter of perspective.     The Parable of the Businessman and the Fisherman   An American investment banker was at the pier of a small coastal Mexican village when a small boat wit

Udonthani raises the questions what is happiness, what makes a people happy?   For undonthani's sake I do believe that not all happiness is orgasmic in nature.   From my own experiences I chose to be

http://www.idreamedofthis.com/2013/11/27/what-i-really-think-of-the-philippines/   Honest Observations From a Westerner On His Way Home     A little girl taking a break from digging through tras

Wippy. You are totaly confused. with what this thread is all about. how can you say. and believe that you have to be rich to be happy. utter bollocks. By your statement alone. if someone is poor thet cannot possibly be happy.

one thing i have noticed about the philippine people they make do. they get by with what they have.

further more. as for the pm you sent me. i have no intention of entering a discusion with you regarding the founder of this forum. Or any other forum member. if you have anything to say about one of my posts say it here in the thread

• Like 2

Everyone is entitled to their respective opinions. However, let's keep any attacks off.

I have banned one member already in this thread. Let's play nice. I shouldn't have to post this in ever thread, people. 

What will it take to get you all on your P's & Q's? Banning everyone involved? Geez. 

What a self-righteous statement this is and is so annoying… Forum Mod, please delete his post or me… haha :D

Are you a Whippy clone or drone? It seems like somebody has been programmed!

questsea73

The photos are glossy, lovely, and totally non-representative of the PI  I observed over the last 7 months.  They are chamber of commerce or coffee table book pictures of a life 90%+ of Filipinos don't really experience unless they have totally accepted and realigned their minds to the fact that they are helplessly enmeshed in chronic, long term unending familial abject poverty.

I realize there are different perspectives of this and if you are a long term expat resident embedded in a satisfactory situation where you have adjusted/adapted/revised your standards and you don't think about life as it must appear from the viewpoint of a 200 peso a day income person supporting maybe 2-3 dependents on that....then you have self-prescribed the prescription for the rose-colored glasses you wear.

Ken

RogerDuMond

The lack of education

The literacy rate in the Philippines is a decent 92.6%

There are atleast 70% poor people in this country and that's the sad truth.

The poverty rate is 26.5%

• Like 1

Really? I don't think so.

Edited by BestGirl

this guy, certainly has a good eye for photography, some of his photo's are breathtaking.

That's no lie---stunning

• Like 2

The literacy rate in the Philippines is a decent 92.6%

My god! Do people actually believe these figures??? Laughable! Get out more mate!

• Like 1
udonthani

about a quarter do not really have any money for food. They spend maybe 30-50 pesos a day on average. Even half of them, 50%, only spend up to about 100 pesos a day.

that is the easy bit. The other half, the ones with money, I'm not so sure about.

Hahaha. You know better than that. Look around you.

RogerDuMond

Hahaha. You know better than that. Look around you.

I do look around. Have to say that I believe there is a big difference between big cities and the province where I live. This is only a guess, but I think probably 75% of those living in poverty live in cities.

• Like 2
udonthani

most of the money in the province is coming from the cities by they Dubai, Hong Kong, Manila or Cebu. How do you think tablets and smartphones have started to appear in Tuburan and Asturias, where almost nobody has got paying jobs. The city is where the money is and everyone knows it, even if you don't.

miles-high

“To be poor means earning less than P16,841 a year which 26.5 percent of Filipinos fall under” (emphasis mine)

How did they set this poverty standard? That’s about $392 a year? That is really skewed, absurd…

My drivers make more than that per month! And they are more or less living in poverty in the squatters areas (one lives in a slightly better place but not much) with a wife and 2 kids… And if you don’t think they are not poor, who are?

Someone is not facing the reality or don’t know what it means to be poor… haha :D

• Like 7