One mans view of the Philippines

hoz

There are atleast 70% poor people in this country and that's the sad truth.

• Like 1
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• udonthani

• jtmwatchbiz

• BestGirl

• hoz

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ignorance is a matter of perspective.     The Parable of the Businessman and the Fisherman   An American investment banker was at the pier of a small coastal Mexican village when a small boat wit

Udonthani raises the questions what is happiness, what makes a people happy?   For undonthani's sake I do believe that not all happiness is orgasmic in nature.   From my own experiences I chose to be

http://www.idreamedofthis.com/2013/11/27/what-i-really-think-of-the-philippines/   Honest Observations From a Westerner On His Way Home     A little girl taking a break from digging through tras

CardiacKid

Do you really think that most of the older foreigners who hook up with younger Filipinas physically abuse them? My observation is that 99% of them treat the girls pretty good. The other 1% would be doing it wherever they lived. The poverty in the Philippines will definitely alter people's behavior but more often than not these young girls are happier, and so are their families, than they would have been otherwise.

No, I do not believe that most older foreigners physically abuse their younger Filipina partners. However, there is a percentage that psychologically abuse. These King of the walk types really bother me. They try to humiliate their partners at every turn, and rather than their marriage being a partnership, it is a  more like a master-servant relationship. The one percenters, as you term it, usually have failed marriages in their home country and seem to want to make their new partner pay for it. Sorry I left you with the impression that most foreigners mistreat their wives. My observation has been that the reverse is true. 

• Like 1
udonthani

No, I do not believe that most older foreigners physically abuse their younger Filipina partners. However, there is a percentage that psychologically abuse. These King of the walk types really bother me.

me too. And there are a lot of them. It is not just a small minority. It is many if not most of them.

The OPs oberservations are fine. Just what you would expect of someone that had only spent a year here.

Skywalker

There are many forms of abuse, including simply using vulnerable, ignorant people for sexual gratification.  

Of course it takes 2 to tango, but that is assuming a level playing field.

• Like 2

practice what you preach then. There is nothing to stop you from selling everything up, giving it away, and then going up the mountain and living on rice and bananas. You would do that, if you thought that was the way to guarantee 'bliss'. There is nothing, at all, to stop you.

but you won't. Because you are just bullshitting on the internet, like the guy in the OP who also could have joined them in abject poverty any time he wanted if he really thought that was the way to a happy and fulfilled life.

it is in fact pretty close to being as hypocritical as anybody can possibly be. Bragging about living in condos, driving SUV's, and having butlers one minute, and then turning round and claiming in the next breath that only by being dirt poor can somebody be happy.

one rule for them, Filipinos, and another one for us.

do you really think that they have not observed and figured out this kind of hypocrisy coming from the foreigners for themselves?

read the damn thread again until you understand what is being said.

If you have never had feck all, for all of your life, then you would never miss it, my parents had nothing growing up here in the UK. but they lead a happy and fruitful life. material things is not the way to happiness.

What you are sugesting, is that someone who has everything should give it all away to see if he could still be happy with nothing. It has been done before, but a completely different concept to what is being discussed here. Ask paul he has just done it, don't think he has ever been happier

so stop talking out of your butt. give your brain a chance.

• Like 1

A great read.

I have experienced country pretty much same way, this was the reason for me to come live here for trail period of at least a year or two.

I think well put together and realistic, without going into argument with a view of a person who has travelled country for more years as you do look at thing differently with time.

big mistake was wanting U.S. to get out of this place. if we could rebuild Germany and japan by 1959 or so this place would be fantastic. but then again if it was a first class country many of us would not be living here and those pretty girls would hold out for the young guys with money or have a good paying job with a german or Japanese company if the government would go with the flow everybody wins. sorta like poster said about henry ford giving good wage which brings up the standard of living. when I was over in Vietnam in 1969 it was cleaner and more modern than the Philippines now.

• Like 2

when I was over in Vietnam in 1969 it was cleaner and more modern than the Philippines now.

Even now, Vietnam is cleaner than the Philippines.

Brucewayne

Was a very good article.

His approach seemed to be one totally devoid of any preconceived cynicism and a willingness to accept people as they are.

There was an old saying / joke. We didn't feel we were poor until someone told us, because we all had the same.

We knew there were rich people but had no true understanding of what that meant other then they ate in the restaurants in downtown Chicago, had  cars and big houses.

So yes, while ignorance was not bliss it did  insulate us from disrepair.

When I was a boy, we were poor and I had no idea what that meant until I started Junior high school.

The children there liked to poke fun at the poor, called us names and laughed at our clothes.

I lived a very happy childhood up until that point and enjoyed playing in the woods, climbing the wild cherry tree in our yard and sneaking off to the creek with my fishing pole which was nothing more than a stick with a string with a small rock and a fishing hook on it.

We always had a garden and I would always pick a few tomatoes or bell peppers to eat as snacks, so we didn't go hungry back then.

We probably weren't all that poor, just more self sufficient, but I was informed that we indeed were poor by many as I grew older.

• Like 2
udonthani

When I was a boy, we were poor and I had no idea what that meant until I started Junior high school.

The children there liked to poke fun at the poor, called us names and laughed at our clothes.

I lived a very happy childhood up until that point and enjoyed playing in the woods, climbing the wild cherry tree in our yard and sneaking off to the creek with my fishing pole which was nothing more than a stick with a string with a small rock and a fishing hook on it.

We always had a garden and I would always pick a few tomatoes or bell peppers to eat as snacks, so we didn't go hungry back then.

We probably weren't all that poor, just more self sufficient, but I was informed that we indeed were poor by many as I grew older.

I don't think you and your family would have appreciated it, if some visitor from Singapore or Japan had come in with these flash cameras and gadgets that were beyond your comprehension, and who was happy to take pictures of your happy smiling children's faces.

as far as I understand it, you are not poor any more, although you might have been when you started out in life.

the thing about guys like him, is that he would have wanted you to stay poor and not become rich. He would not want to take any more photos of you then - to help to promote, his stupid belief system that poor equals happiness, and the prosperity which he takes for granted and will not abandon even though he could abandon it any time he wanted - means nothing, when it clearly means a lot to him.

Whippy, I enjoy your posts, your stories and adventures, your travel advice and budget acc referrals. But I gotta say, in this thread you have really shown your ignorance and biased Western mindset towards these simple, happy, poor people that live day to day with hardly a care in the world. I have been living and travelling in the Philippines for over 12 years now and have met, gotten to know and stayed with uncountable families in provinces far and wide that live like this and are completely satisfied with their lives. You need to open your mind up a bit mate and understand that everybody does not have the same mindset as you. You have been travelling here long enough to have learnt the different mindsets of simple Filipinos and yourself yet you fail to distinguish the differences. You fecked up mate. Be man enough to admit that maybe, just maybe you do not know as much as you think you do about some poor, third world country people and what is important to them. Not everybody wants what you have, wants to live as you do and even spends one fecking second thinking about the differences. You are not as important as you think you are mate and at your age you really should have worked that out by now. 

• Like 7
miles-high

Whippy, I enjoy your posts, your stories and adventures, your travel advice and budget acc referrals. But I gotta say, in this thread you have really shown your ignorance and biased Western mindset towards these simple, happy, poor people that live day to day with hardly a care in the world. I have been living and travelling in the Philippines for over 12 years now and have met, gotten to know and stayed with uncountable families in provinces far and wide that live like this and are completely satisfied with their lives. You need to open your mind up a bit mate and understand that everybody does not have the same mindset as you. You have been travelling here long enough to have learnt the different mindsets of simple Filipinos and yourself yet you fail to distinguish the differences. You fecked up mate. Be man enough to admit that maybe, just maybe you do not know as much as you think you do about some poor, third world country people and what is important to them. Not everybody wants what you have, wants to live as you do and even spends one fecking second thinking about the differences. You are not as important as you think you are mate and at your age you really should have worked that out by now. 

What a self-righteous statement this is and is so annoying… Forum Mod, please delete his post or me… haha :D

Edited by miles-high