• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• udonthani

• hoz

• jtmwatchbiz

• BestGirl

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ignorance is a matter of perspective.     The Parable of the Businessman and the Fisherman   An American investment banker was at the pier of a small coastal Mexican village when a small boat wit

Udonthani raises the questions what is happiness, what makes a people happy?   For undonthani's sake I do believe that not all happiness is orgasmic in nature.   From my own experiences I chose to be

http://www.idreamedofthis.com/2013/11/27/what-i-really-think-of-the-philippines/   Honest Observations From a Westerner On His Way Home     A little girl taking a break from digging through tras

udonthani

he thinks people are happy, when they are not happy at all, but just ignorant. Notice how the blog doesn't mention the educational system of the Philippines, at all. Not once.

he thinks people are happy, when they are not happy at all, but just ignorant. Notice how the blog doesn't mention the educational system of the Philippines, at all. Not once.

Maybe you should try hanging out with some "happy" people for a change. It might rub off on you. 

• Like 5
Brucewayne

What's worth mentioning is that I have noticed a huge distinction between the heartbreaking poverty in big cities like Cebu and Manila, and what I experienced in the provinces, which is just villagers who simply don't have money.

They may not have money, but they probably do have food, which the poor in the cities normally don't have.

If ignorance is bliss, maybe they are happy?

• Like 1

I see a man who has spent a year living in the Philippines, among the poor and the well to do. He learned 4 languages and Filipinos are crowding his comment page BEGGING HIM TO STAY. 

I wonder if any local will do the same for Udonthani when he leaves?

• Like 9

this guy, certainly has a good eye for photography, some of his photo's are breathtaking.

I have to agree that someone who lives simply,    simplicity is bliss,

I have seen the poverty in the cities,  I have met some that have moved to the cities from the province to find work, but there is none, they live in pure poverty, no work, no food, at least in the province they never went hungry.

living amongst these people in the provinces is different than just going there for a quick shag, and then back to the hotel, i think this guy is far more qualified than whippy when it comes to real life living in the Phils. sometimes, some people just dont know when to shut the feck up.      

• Like 8

Was a very good article.

His approach seemed to be one totally devoid of any preconceived cynicism and a willingness to accept people as they are.

There was an old saying / joke. We didn't feel we were poor until someone told us, because we all had the same.

We knew there were rich people but had no true understanding of what that meant other then they ate in the restaurants in downtown Chicago, had  cars and big houses.

So yes, while ignorance was not bliss it did  insulate us from disrepair.

• Like 4
Davaoeno

Unavoidable acceptance is a long way from happiness.     And when the rich young white man shows up in the village with his fancy camera of course all the young brown girls are full of smiles for him.  That certainly doesnt mean that they are happy living a life of abject poverty with no hope for a decent education nor enough money to pay for medical and drugs if they get sick .  It just means that they have already learned to lower their expectations to a survival level  [ of course many times even that isnt attainable ]

• Like 5
Skywalker

Whippy trying to make mockery of another guys well observed conclusions.

Attack the message not the messenger.  Anyway, there is a huge difference between living here, and being a rather cheap, not particularly well educated, sex tourist on a back packers budget.

It's very clear, to me at least, who speaks with the most experience and authority.

And it's not a northern ice cream purveyor.   :snap:

• Like 4
JohnFromTexas

being a rather cheap, not particularly well educated, sex tourist on a back packers budget.

Burn notice!

udonthani

I have to agree that someone who lives simply,    simplicity is bliss,

practice what you preach then. There is nothing to stop you from selling everything up, giving it away, and then going up the mountain and living on rice and bananas. You would do that, if you thought that was the way to guarantee 'bliss'. There is nothing, at all, to stop you.

but you won't. Because you are just bullshitting on the internet, like the guy in the OP who also could have joined them in abject poverty any time he wanted if he really thought that was the way to a happy and fulfilled life.

it is in fact pretty close to being as hypocritical as anybody can possibly be. Bragging about living in condos, driving SUV's, and having butlers one minute, and then turning round and claiming in the next breath that only by being dirt poor can somebody be happy.

one rule for them, Filipinos, and another one for us.

do you really think that they have not observed and figured out this kind of hypocrisy coming from the foreigners for themselves?

• Like 4
Skywalker

Bragging about living in condos, driving SUV's, and having butlers

It's a hard life, some small luxuries are hardly extravagant.   :Yay:

• Like 2
jtmwatchbiz

It's a hard life, some small luxuries are hardly extravagant.   :Yay:

try as we have, janice and i can't seem to lure your butler into dumping you and joining our crew. he said he would be embarrassed to be seen in our honda city after cruising around town in your massive SUV and mercedes.   

• Like 1