Sign in to follow this  
cebulover2000

Welding advice please

cebulover2000

Need to weld some braces to our water tank structure which is slowly collapsing, I probably have to buy a welder at ACE or Citi hardware. Will the cheapest ARC welder for around 6 K do the job? I learned an inverter is better but so much more dough here. It seems to be impossible to rent a welding machine, one quoted us 6K for labor and 7 K for renting a welding machine, another wants 3K just for the job but may do it for 1 K?? Still have to buy a welding machine or rent one, advice please.

Woolf

I you are going to buy one  check Belmond Hardware located here

http://wikimapia.org/#lang=en&lat=10.294578&lon=123.903709&z=19&m=b

They are also in Mandaue somewhere

Also check Atlantic hardware I know they are in Talisay

located here

http://wikimapia.org/#lang=en&lat=10.268609&lon=123.844564&z=19&m=b

they just moved to the other side the road

I do not know but atlantic hardware may have other branches

Brucewayne

Need to weld some braces to our water tank structure which is slowly collapsing, I probably have to buy a welder at ACE or Citi hardware. Will the cheapest ARC welder for around 6 K do the job? I learned an inverter is better but so much more dough here. It seems to be impossible to rent a welding machine, one quoted us 6K for labor and 7 K for renting a welding machine, another wants 3K just for the job but may do it for 1 K?? Still have to buy a welding machine or rent one, advice please.

Our neighbor had their tower built from scratch.

They rented a welder (machine)  here in Tayud for P2,000 and paid the welder (operator) P350 per day.

It was finished in 3 days and is painted/ready to use.

Edited by Brucewayne
  • Like 1

shadow

WOW, I rent out my welder at P300/day, but I am in Dumaguete. A smaller machince will probably do you fine.

• Like 1

cebulover2000

Our neighbor had their tower built from scratch.

They rented a welder (machine)  here in Tayud for P2,000 and paid the welder (operator) P350 per day.

It was finished in 3 days and is painted/ready to use.

That's exactly what I need. We are not far away, could please give me the info for both rent and operator, location/phone? I don't know how to send you a private message.

Paul

That's exactly what I need. We are not far away, could please give me the info for both rent and operator, location/phone? I don't know how to send you a private message.

I just send you both a PM. 

Tinbum

This makes me laugh!!!

A welder who doesn't have a welder. Kind of like the plumber who doesm't have any spanners or the painter who has no brushes, or the electrician who has no wire cutters...........

Its one of the basic concepts of our company, our tradesmen come equipped with the tools necessary for doing the job, period. Sure, you would be charged for consumables like welding rods and steel, but no charge for the welding machine. What use is a welder without a welding machine? Secondly, why day rate? So you can draw out the job perhaps? Insist on a quote so you know how much is the labour up front. So truly, typically Filippino!!!! 

P.S

If you can weld, you can borrow my welder for you to use, but no outsiders!!!!!!! You supply rods etc but the welder costs 75 pesos (1 San Mig Grande)

Edited by Tinbum

Sonny

Unless you are a damn good welder, you are not likely to be able to construct a steel structure that will support much weight with a cheap welding machine, especially if you have vertical welds and or pipe.  Many inexpensive machines are AC only.  A DC machine will give you better penetration on heavier gauge metal as well as a better quality weld.  Whatever machine you choose, I suggest you hire an experienced Filipino welder to do the work for you.  I was a welding instructor for awhile  and have found that Filipinos seem to have a special knack for it.

roaddog

I know a damn good welder hey guess what he don't have the peso for a welder. I also know a damn good carpenter. But he does own a hammer and hand saw which myself would throw in the scrap pile. Don't cut the craftsman because of his lack of proper tools.

• Like 3

Brucewayne

I can talk to Jessie and have him arrange this for you if you like.

He is the nephew inn charge of the jobs done by the family next door.

Brucewayne

This makes me laugh!!!

A welder who doesn't have a welder. Kind of like the plumber who doesm't have any spanners or the painter who has no brushes, or the electrician who has no wire cutters...........

Its one of the basic concepts of our company, our tradesmen come equipped with the tools necessary for doing the job, period. Sure, you would be charged for consumables like welding rods and steel, but no charge for the welding machine. What use is a welder without a welding machine? Secondly, why day rate? So you can draw out the job perhaps? Insist on a quote so you know how much is the labour up front. So truly, typically Filippino!!!! 

P.S

If you can weld, you can borrow my welder for you to use, but no outsiders!!!!!!! You supply rods etc but the welder costs 75 pesos (1 San Mig Grande)

We ARE the outsiders and here not as many are as wealthy as you are, but still good tradesmen.

How many radiologists do you know who own their own X-ray machines anywhere in the world?

I bet you don't laugh at them when you go into the emergency room for a possible broken bone or internal damage of some sort.

• Like 1

Tinbum

By way of explanation, may i offer the following as to my comments.

If i hire a person or company to carry out work, and pay that person or company my money in exchange for that work, i expect the person or company to have the tools necessary to carry out the work.

Using your analogy of the radiologist not having his own x-ray machine is flawed as we do not pay the radiologist directly. We pay the hospital where he/she works, who does have the x-ray machine.

If the radiologist had his own private clinic, he would have to have his own machine to be in business.

The quality of tradesmen, my wealth etc have nothing to do with my basic concept of a "tradesman" who you pay money to, in my opinion, should have the tools necessary to carry out his trade. In my opinion, a tradesman without tools is akin to an oxymoron!

However, as always, the above is only my person opinion, others may see things differently, which is their right.

towboat72

I have had a lot of welding done on our property  and have always rented the welder  from my wifes uncle they hired a welder to do the welding.that pretty common here because as was stated most welders can not afford to buy there own machines.

• Like 2

cebulover2000

I can talk to Jessie and have him arrange this for you if you like.

He is the nephew inn charge of the jobs done by the family next door.

Thank you for your kind offer. I may get back to it, but it looks as if my wife has something reasonable lined up.