Im on my phone and cand find the right place for this so feel free to move it :) , we have a older bamboo building and it is beeong eaten bu some bugs , we cant rebuildit now so is there any way to stop the bugs now even if just for few months ??? Some pne told me i can spray it but dont knoe with what , thanks

Wood preservative will work for a while. Make sure they throw the bamboo in the sea next time before you use it.

thebob

Solignum is the preserver. The generic stuff is called "Wood Saver" and has exactly the same active ingredients and is cheaper.

Headshot

Unfortunately, wood preservative has to be applied during construction BEFORE there is an infestation problem. If you have an infestation problem in an existing structure, you need fumigation. There are commercial exterminators here, but I have no idea how good they are or what kinds of chemicals they use. I also have no contact information for them, but I have seen their trucks around the Cebu Metro area.

spritsail

If there is a white dust appearing around the base of the bamboo then its probably buko beetle inside the  core of the bamboo and nothing much you can do about it. I have had it in a bamboo cabinet holding a couple of hundred books for a couple of years and is still standing. Eventually it will have to be scrapped. If it were a building then might better to single out the affected bamboo for changing or strengthening with a hardwood or coco lumber.  Bamboo houses should be built so that there is redundancy so that if you change a bamboo pole it wil not affected the structual integrity of the building.

i would scrutinise the supplier of the bamboo. Furniture supplied by one bamboo carpenter is usually affected, whereas bamboo supplied by my regular carpenter is never affected. Maybe due to the time when they harvest the bamboo or the area that its grown in.

mactanfamily
The best season for harvesting is after the rainy season when
starch content in the bamboo sap is low. Starch is the favourite
food for pests. Don't harvest during shooting season! Cut bamboo
that is 3-5 years old. Bamboo older than 5 years is harder and
the inner culm wall becomes impermeable to the BORAX BORIC
ACID Solution.

Mix 3 kg of BORAX with 2 kg of BORIC ACID and add 45 liters water. This
gives a 9 to 1 or 10% solution

Borax 3kg  Boric Acid 2kg 
Water 45 litres 

Add red analyn textile dye. It should completely penetrate the tissue of the culms from the inside all the way to the outside skin. If the particles of the dye are too large they will only partially dissolve and "plug" the openings in the tissue thus preventing penetration of the preservative.

Test the solution with a hydrometer under normal temperatures of your region.

Fill a small test container with the Borax/Boric Acid solution slowly, so as to not form air bubbles.  Lower the Hydrometer into the container and give it a  quick twirl like spinning the top. 

This will get rid of air bubbles that might have accumulated on the hydrometer.  

Then read the number where the solution crosses the scale on the hydrometer, like reading a thermometer: 1.035 (or whatever a close number is) will be your benchmark for re-testing the solution later.

Weld hex nut to one end of iron rod. With this rod you can punch holes through the diaphragms.

The hex nut will create large diameter holes thus preventing air bubbles from forming in the culms during the filling procedure.

Punch through the nodes all except the last one.

Fill the entire bamboo with the solution.  Every morning refill the culms which have
absorbed approximately 1% of the liquid overnight. Every day absorption rate is less.

On Day 13 don't add more solution. 
Allow the level to go down to avoid 
overflow when the last node is broken.

On Day 14, test check the
culm by sawing off the
upper internode. The fabric dye has now penetrated the culm walls sideways and coloured them pinkish

Store the bamboo horizontally or vertically in the shade (hot sun splits it) to slowly dry. Make sure that it is not exposed to rain which could wash out the preservative.

• Like 4
mactanfamily
The BORAX/BORIC ACID SOLUTION can be used more than once for treating bamboo, as long as the hydrometer reading of the solution is still at the initial level, of approximately 1.035. 

Keep in mind that, as the bamboo sap gets partially drained out of the culm, the starch/sugar from the sap will move into the treatment solution. This can lead to inaccurate hydrometer readings. After the 3rd or 4th use gradually increase the BORAX/BORIC ACID concentration to 1.040 and 1.050. 

At the point when the drained solution foams significantly and/or mold is forming on the surface of the solution and on the bamboo culm it is time for the solution to be disposed of. 

BORAX/BORIC ACID is non toxic to the environment, but is highly saline.

When a moderate amount of it is absorbed into the ground, the ground filters out the salt to the point where it does not pollute the ground water. However, it is advisable to dispose of it safely and out of reach of children.  When diluted with more water the discarded solution could be used as a herbicide on terraces and walkways.

• Like 3
thebob

If there is a white dust appearing around the base of the bamboo then its probably buko beetle inside the  core of the bamboo and nothing much you can do about it. I have had it in a bamboo cabinet holding a couple of hundred books for a couple of years and is still standing.

I've had success with bamboo furniture by wrapping in in black plastic bags and leaving it in the sun to bake them out.

Thank you all i will try the wood saver and see after i need to get some good bamboo

If you do end up getting new bamboo, DEFINITELY watch WHERE you get it. Make it a point to inspect the bamboo all over the grounds where it is stored. Make sure those little buggars aren't into other wood on the premises. 

Then, make sure you treat it well, before putting it in place. 

• Like 1
ILoveCyrus

Whatever u do....just dont get Bamboozled...!!!

• Like 1