Sign in to follow this  
JohnFromTexas

Del Monte Spicy Ketchup -- where to get?

BossHog

Eating a late dinner last night after the girls went to bed.

No handy reading material except for my Del Monte Hot 'n Spicy Ketchup bottle.

If you read the fine print it says....not for repacking and resale to the former Soviet Union.

That'll teach those ex-Commies a lesson.

Do most normal ketchups have regional coding/restrictions?

udonthani

what is this. You don't have to go to a mall supermarket to get it, It is all over the place.

I just got a 33 peso bottle from a sari here in Pangsama beach to put on my morning french fries. Maybe not the smaller saris, but all the slightly better ones stock it. My only gripe is that they don't seem to sell it in sachets which would be more convenient for me, than the bottles.

Salty Dog

Was at Metro Ayala today and there was a shelve full of it. I bought three bottles even though I've never tried it.

Just had some and I was surprised how hot it was for a ketchup. It looks and taste more like the sweet chili sauce to me. It's pretty good, but I prefer the Heinz Hot & Spicy. The Heinz is regular ketchup with a touch of Tabasco. Of course I've never seen it here. Now they even have one with jalapeños, that I would love to try. 

2f31e73c567d212a4958d9968c86ee74.jpgbc80bb8d0a33ea2a_heinz.xxxlarge_1.jpg

Half Baked

Personally, I like the spicy ketchup from Whataburger. They only put it out for a little while. U can go to their website and order it now, don't know about shipping to PI. I've been considering it.

Salty Dog

Personally, I like the spicy ketchup from Whataburger. They only put it out for a little while. U can go to their website and order it now, don't know about shipping to PI. I've been considering it.

Now there's a place I haven't eaten at in years. As I remember it was pretty good.

My next quest is to find some decent hot BBQ sauce here. My last BB box had some from my favorite BBQ restaurant, Sonny's. It didn't last long. What they call BBQ here sure doesn't pass for what we called BBQ in southern USA. That's probably the food I miss the most.

JohnFromTexas

Spicey Ketchup at whataburger is available all the time now and they actually sell it in the stores here now...

I don't like jalopeno ketchup though... it's very acidic.  The del monte ketchup will burn your mouth down but without the acid.  We've been eating a shitload of fish since coming back :)

udonthani

I have now discovered that yes, it is available in sachets so the 35 or so pesos I spent on a bottle was probably half wasted, as there is no way I will use all of it, in the short time only 60 days left now that I have in the Philippines. And I am not going to bring a half empty bottle, back to Europe. It only goes on french fried type potatoes I have only just sometimes, not every day, with my morning omelette, As usual, I will probably ultimately donate it, the half-empty 35 peso bottle, to a worthy cause.

• Like 1

Sven

I have now discovered that yes, it is available in sachets so the 35 or so pesos I spent on a bottle was probably half wasted, as there is no way I will use all of it, in the short time only 60 days left now that I have in the Philippines. And I am not going to bring a half empty bottle, back to Europe. It only goes on french fried type potatoes I have only just sometimes, not every day, with my morning omelette, As usual, I will probably ultimately donate it, the half-empty 35 peso bottle, to a worthy cause.

Haha this has to be the best Whippy post ever. Fan rooms and onions and cheap girls are all good, but now I am vividly imagining him spending his time agonizing over having spent 35 peso on a bottle that he will only ever need to use half of. Oh, the drama... And then the ultimate self-sacrificing, charitable act of donation..!

By the way I have personally been in trouble for trying to take ketchup through airport security... Not recommended.

udonthani

By the way I have personally been in trouble for trying to take ketchup through airport security... Not recommended.

you weren't in trouble, they just took it off you. It's liquid. I have had them want to take potato salad and a plastic container containing curry and rice off me. That is classed as liquid too.

off course I didn't just let them have it. Although I had been planning to eat it during a 3-hour stopover in Abu Dhabi, I ate it all right there in front of them at airport security, there being no point in wasting it.

Sven

you weren't in trouble, they just took it off you.

Actually no. My ketchup was in sachets, some of which had broken. The officer had her arm in my bag and got ketchup all over it. It was a horrible mess... but my friends have been laughing about it ever since..!