Back visiting the philippines for a couple of weeks -- howdy y'all!

JohnFromTexas

JohnFromTexas

I think you can get it in just about any supermarket.

I've already been to 2 which didn't have it... they all have del monte regular and sweet ketchup... just not the spicey

I might add the flight ladies all looked great. the flight from korea to Cebu was really empty and got to talking with one lady attendant. she told me she does one flight the 2 days off theback to korea. she was so pretty and with her broken English I was looking but not listening. I did tell I was visting Cebu and she said she hoped to see me again. like a dumb shit I said ok...see you at the mall. my god i'm 65 and that's the best I could do.

the guy pushing me around in the wheelchair was about 105 pounds and me 240. he was not asking for a tip. I told him to stop at the money charger in the airport and got 1000 pesos. then to the special lane for us senior and disabled. seems like I was the only one there in that lane. the lady stamping my passport never once made eye contact. just stamped passport and gave it to the porter pushing me. he then took me to baggage and found my 2 bags and loaded them on push cart. I told him i'd take it from there. he started to walk off and told him to come back. I gave him 520 pesos and the guy hugged me. I checked to see if I still had my wallet as he walked away...I do read this forum hahaha.

Haha you gotta work on your pickup skills although you will probably have plenty of opportunities here in the RP without really trying... all the ladies on the KAL flight were attractive women I just don't think they're as attractive as pinays and I would take my wife over any of'em ;)  But that's just me.

You'll get a lot of love for 500 peso tips. :)

I also noticed that the customs officials barely look at or talk to the people in wheel chairs...

i never had a bad flight out of the usa and never had any problems at naia.In my opinion some folks are just not mentally preparred to fly the long flight.I put my mind in a place and physche myself out where i know i will not be very comfortable and sleep will be little if none and i will endure this for 72 hours.It works for me,i call it my survivor trip,think about the men whom climbed everest and froze their asses off and died on the mountain and others whom survived with frozen faces and limbs and needed amputations afterwards.Which trek would you rather be on.

That's funny that's what i told myself this trip... it didn't work.  I've never had a problem on my previous flights... sure it's a pain and no fun but bearable... i think part of the issue was by the time we hit ground in korea I was already very dehydrated from lack of fluids because I couldn't get them to give me more than 1oz of water at a time.  I was already nauseous enough to be unable to eat by the time we landed.  We went to greenwhich the next morning to eat after getting here and I almost threw up right in ayala in public from still being dehydrated from the flight over.  Oh and the best part was that since we were last here, all the places in Ayala have decided to close their restrooms to customers so I was trying to find a bathroom in one of the restaurants but none had one anymore (did when I was last here 3 years ago...)

Also, WHAT THE feck happened to a/c at the malls?  Are they requiring that the malls operate at a higher temp due to power shortages or are the malls just doing it to save money?  When I was here before the one good thing during a blackout was go to the mall where it's nice and cool from the a/c.  I thought it was just at Ayala at first but now after being to two different malls it seems they are operating their a/cs at a much higher temp... like around 78-ish... before when I was here you were cool the second you stepped inside and my wife would actually get shivers in certain parts of the mall.  It's definitely cooler than outside but not the same as before... at least for the power outage yesterday once the brown out hit the mall we knew power would be back at home ;)

I see nothing's really been done to fix power issues and daily rolling blackouts are still de rigueur

Never heard of anyone looking for Delmonte Ketchup (in any form). I guess you might find a lot of banana ketchup there? In that case good luck to you!  No seriously, If all you have is delmonte ketchup just send your asawa to the market to find some halang powder (chili powder). Thats all you should need. 

I couldn't imagine having Delmonte ketchup as my only choice. I would go mad! 

Enjoy your trip! 

I'm a heinz ketchup person myself normally :)  My best friend practically refuses to eat any other brand.  There's tons of banana ketchup here that's not what i'm looking for.  There's spicey ketchup in the states but it's all made with jalopenos.  I'm not looking for just any spicey ketchup -- I'm looking for this very specific one because it's the bomb.  If you haven't had it you wouldn't know what I'm talking about... when fanboat first turned me onto it I had the same though 'really? big deal' until I actually tried it with fish... makes for some of the best fish tacos you will EVER have.

Edited by JohnFromTexas
throttleplate

i am not a plane sleeper,so i am always awake and i get up and walk every hour.I stretch in the flight attendants area and always ask them for water and they do not dissapoint.My problem is i want to lay down,sometimes i am so tempted to lay in the isle but its against FAA regulations.Some planes have first class seats that lay flat into beds but they cost $7000.00 for 1 way international flight,just slightly out of my budget.

JohnFromTexas

I can sometimes sleep on a plane but it's very hard on the international flights because by that time the discomfort of being in a cramped seat so long starts to get on my nerves :)  

Half Baked

I can sometimes sleep on a plane but it's very hard on the international flights because by that time the discomfort of being in a cramped seat so long starts to get on my nerves :)

John, where abouts in Texas are you from?

JohnFromTexas

One of the only two major cities worth living in there... Austin :)  (the other being dallas)

I'm thinking about moving to another state soon though... i haven't decided for sure yet... like the RP, there are some things in texas that are hard for me to get along with -- even though i'm a native texan.  one of those they share is the heat... i've always hated it.  i come from northern european descent people used to living in the cold and it's what my genetics are best adapted to (not to mention my built in layers of insulation (aka fat)).  

I'd like to go west coast but they're just soooooooo liberal ;)  I might move to the Denver area but it's just so cold in the winter sometimes :)  All my family has now moved to CO

john....try Oregon. good weather, good food, good people. that's where the whole bunch of us will end up when we move from the Philippines.

I live in consolacion up on a hill. bugs are not a problem at least where i'm at. also my brother in law has a nice motor scooter. his job is taking people around on the scooter. he speaks excellent English and is honest. he'll take you anywhere you want.

JohnFromTexas

I have considered Oregon... frankly it seems like a really cool place from what I've seen... the only problem is every other state I have some extra reasons to move to... friends in CA... family in WA and seattle has a lot going for it including an nfl team.. oregon the only reason I have is it seems like a cool place with cool people, but I've never been there.  I like the PNW in general from what I've seen

smokey

I have considered Oregon... frankly it seems like a really cool place from what I've seen... the only problem is every other state I have some extra reasons to move to... friends in CA... family in WA and seattle has a lot going for it including an nfl team.. oregon the only reason I have is it seems like a cool place with cool people, but I've never been there.  I like the PNW in general from what I've seen

how about no sales tax 

JohnFromTexas

Yeah but they have income tax :)  No income tax in WA :)  Of course CA you'll get it coming and going ;)