Back visiting the philippines for a couple of weeks -- howdy y'all!

JohnFromTexas

JohnFromTexas

Not sure how many people there are from when I lived here in 2010, but it looks like most things have stayed the same... paul giving whippy a hard time, the great 'is it cheaper to live in the rp' debate lingers on, and people discussing the problems with the philippines, as well as knocking people from other countries... 

I'm staying in liloan for a couple of weeks with my wife's family... we have a little girl who's almost 2 now (although everybody here thinks she's 3+ because she's so tall and big... 99th percentile in height in the US thanks to a combination of our genetics ;) )

Just curious if there's anything going on in the near future and saying hey to everyone who might remember

I tried to drag fanboat and gigi's asses back with me but they're planning a later trip

Hope to get a chance to see a few of you before I leave... until then just trying to acclimate to living with no a/c for 2 weeks and trying to avoid lamok.

I have to remember to watch what I say here I've gotten in the habit for using cebuano words in the states sometimes for things you don't want people to hear you saying... and now i'm in a place where that won't work :)  luckily i can just use english now and be misunderstood :)

A part of me misses the philippines... a lot of good times here!  After my parents are gone if they ever legalize it, I'm definitely coming back.  If you don't know what that meant you don't need to :)

Edited by JohnFromTexas
  • Like 3
jtmwatchbiz

welcome back john and hope you enjoy your short stay in cebu. must have been a fun plane ride with a 2 year old huh? better you than me as ours is 5 and i still can't imagine that long flight trying to keep her from getting at the controls of the plane with all them cool switches and buttons. :)

• Like 1

Heya John.  Welcome back for a visit.  Those Circa LaPlaya days were not so long ago.  Remember to stay off those motorbikes! 

Brucewayne

After my parents are gone if they ever legalize it,

Euthanasia?

Just kidding (I think), welcome back.

We also live in Liloan in Tayud.

I don't think we ever met, but one never knows.

JohnFromTexas

Euthanasia?

Just kidding (I think), welcome back.

We also live in Liloan in Tayud.

I don't think we ever met, but one never knows.

Bwahaha maybe I should've worded that sentence better.... didn't mean I wanted to legally euthanize them :)  I just meant they're getting pretty old and my dad has a medical condition that may shorten his life (hard to say it's a rare bone marrow disorder (which can be genetically passed on -- yay) that generally afflicts older people and they often die of something else before the disease).  That and my love of the ganja keeps me in the states for now... but once my parents are gone if they've loosened up here or I've given it up I have a feeling I'll be back... I like the RP except for a few things my wife likes it in the states but I'm sure she'd be happy to move back to be with family too... next year she's eligible to apply for citizenship we may try and bring mom over to stay with us :)  

I'm not sure if we met either your handle sounds familiar... I met so many people while here and I'm horrible with names unless I spent some real time with anyone then I probably don't remember their names, but would remember if I saw  you whether we had or hadn't probably

Heya John.  Welcome back for a visit.  Those Circa LaPlaya days were not so long ago.  Remember to stay off those motorbikes! 

Haha I guess some people do remember!  Yeah I got some permanent scars to remember my life in the philippines ;)  But there's all kinds of scars my non-physical scars are all US-made ;)  I can't really say much bad for my time in the RP other than the motorbike incident :)

welcome back john and hope you enjoy your short stay in cebu. must have been a fun plane ride with a 2 year old huh? better you than me as ours is 5 and i still can't imagine that long flight trying to keep her from getting at the controls of the plane with all them cool switches and buttons. :)

Haha yeah I've been telling my wife for weeks that I've been dreading the plane flight over with a baby... but surprisingly it went pretty well -- she is a well behaved baby when properly taken care of she really did as good as you can expect.  I was expecting the trip from hell due to going with a baby, but really it was only the trip from hell because of the length of time it takes to get here and flying on KAL.  I'm not flying on them again not sure why I expected better service on a KAL flight (i heard they were more customer service oriented prior to flying)... it sucked they skimp on meals (2 tiny ones for a 15 hour flight?) but even worse was their drinks... every time you ask for a drink you literally get a half full bathroom size cup.  When I got here I was nauseous and feeling sick from dehydration it took me the better part of a day to recover.  On the way back I'm going to teach them that we americans expect to be pampered and not treated like cows like their used to doing to their asian citizens... if they only give me those small drinks i'm going to push the service button 50 times til i've had plenty or they decide to start giving me a fecking bottle or a real sized cup.  fecking ridiculous I was so pissed by the end... oh and none of their planes have the fans above the seats... I expect to be the person who's hotter and sweater than everyone else normally because that's just me... when my wife is hot and sweaty I know they are fecking up :)  How are you going to keep a plane hot when it's freezing air outside??  Anyway, bitch mode off.

I'd love to visit the philippines more often but the plane trip is just ridiculous.  It's the 21st century assholes.  Maybe after 100 years we could work out a way to fly a bit faster?  I can't wait til they have the planes ready that head up to low level orbit that'll get you across the globe in a few hours...  this is the last flight our daughter gets to fly for free after that we'll probably have to mortgage our futures to make a trip to the philippines with the costs right now ;)  My first trip here was around $800-900... this trip for 2 was close to $3500.  We paid a little more on KAL to bypass manila which was nice but the plane flight ended up being longer than going through just tokyo to manila...  for some reason whenever I think of Manila I think of the star wars quote "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."  

Edited by JohnFromTexas
Davaoeno

fecking ridiculous I was so pissed by the end...

so obviously they managed to give you enough booze !!  :ROFLMAO:

I'm going to teach them that we americans expect to be pampered

I'm sure they can hardly wait !! 

Brucewayne

I find China Air to be really nice, but only flew them between Seattle and Manila.

I may have been changed over to a Philippine ariline in Thailand, but can't remember anymore, too long  ago.

Also, if you wait until March there are a lot of discounted flights back and forth because that is the slack time of year and they want to fill their planes.

You could also do what my wife and I did, I have a friend in the states who owns a travel bureau and the wife has a friend in Mactan who is a manager at a travel agency.

We get free and/or discounted tickets all the time.

Free round trip tickets to Hong Kong and Singapore are the best!

very interesting about your flight with KAL. I flew from Medford Oregon on a small commuter turbo prop to lax. from lax to korea and then to Cebu. total cost for one person $1,005.00. that included $79.00 flight insurance. KAL had a brand new plane(airbus) at lax and still had that new car smell. I thought it would be a 747 so this new plane was great. i'm close to 6 feet 6 but seat was really not to bad...I was into the flight about 5 hours when I realized the head rest moves up about 5 inches then the seat was real good.
food was not to bad and i'd give it a b- rating. the cute ladies gave me all the drinks and water I could handle. If I remember right I had about 7 Korean beers, 4 cups of coffee, 3-4 ginger ales, 2 quarts of water, hot towels, real silverware, fruits, peanuts and first run movies...and I went economy. flight to Cebu was with KAL again on a half empty 747 that was about 75 years old but still clean and the old girl did fine. food a solid c+ and unlimited drinks.
also I told this one attendant that my feet had swollen up just from the long flight from l.a. when we got to Cebu at midnight she had a wheelchair waiting for me. the guy wheeled me to the senior citizen and wheelchair lane and my passport was stamped in 15 seconds. got my suitcases and stacked them on cart and pushed wheel aside as I didn't want my girlfriend see me in it.
ok...i'll shut up now.

• Like 2
JamesMusslewhite

Well thank you for the "Hey!" John, it is good to see you are here from yonder way and I hope you a pleasant stay. :biggrin_01: 

• Like 1
Headshot

Welcome back to paradise...some people's paradise anyway.

JohnFromTexas

very interesting about your flight with KAL. I flew from Medford Oregon on a small commuter turbo prop to lax. from lax to korea and then to Cebu. total cost for one person $1,005.00. that included $79.00 flight insurance. KAL had a brand new plane(airbus) at lax and still had that new car smell. I thought it would be a 747 so this new plane was great. i'm close to 6 feet 6 but seat was really not to bad...I was into the flight about 5 hours when I realized the head rest moves up about 5 inches then the seat was real good.

food was not to bad and i'd give it a b- rating. the cute ladies gave me all the drinks and water I could handle. If I remember right I had about 7 Korean beers, 4 cups of coffee, 3-4 ginger ales, 2 quarts of water, hot towels, real silverware, fruits, peanuts and first run movies...and I went economy. flight to Cebu was with KAL again on a half empty 747 that was about 75 years old but still clean and the old girl did fine. food a solid c+ and unlimited drinks.

also I told this one attendant that my feet had swollen up just from the long flight from l.a. when we got to Cebu at midnight she had a wheelchair waiting for me. the guy wheeled me to the senior citizen and wheelchair lane and my passport was stamped in 15 seconds. got my suitcases and stacked them on cart and pushed wheel aside as I didn't want my girlfriend see me in it.

ok...i'll shut up now.

A-ha!!! So YOU are one of those wheelchair people!! ;)  Kept getting passed by them in line the other night at customs -- was looking at them and thinking 'all these people look relatively able bodied and not handicapped so where did all these people in wheelchairs come from' -- now I know!  I'll bet the wheelchair didn't keep some porter at the airport from trying to work a tip out of you... ;)  they're getting aggressive!  Guy actually told my wife the tip she gave him was not enough and he needed more.  To be fair she's even cheaper than me when it comes to tipping!

I'll tell you one conflicting thing about the philippines... you come here to save money, but it's gonna be hard if you're a cheap bastard because almost everyone here expects a tip for helping you out! (even if you didn't ask for it) ;)

KAL's flight attendants are ok... but korean women have to be the most average overall of asian women in beauty... give me the PAL flight attendants any day ;)

Thanks James... I'm sure you and others like you are responsible for the growing trend of 'Made in the Philippines' goods in the US :)  

Anyone know where I can pick up del monte spicey ketchup here?  I got addicted to this stuff last time I was here and was looking forward to enjoying it here and taking a few bottles back... but have been to SM and Ayala neither have it (i think ayala never did before too).  I wish someone would put this stuff out in the states I'm not a fan of spicey ketchup made in the US from jalopenos the acidity is too high... the del monte stuff here gives you the spice without the acidity... fantastic to go with fish.

• Like 1
Headshot

Anyone know where I can pick up del monte spicey ketchup here?

I think you can get it in just about any supermarket.

I might add the flight ladies all looked great. the flight from korea to Cebu was really empty and got to talking with one lady attendant. she told me she does one flight the 2 days off theback to korea. she was so pretty and with her broken English I was looking but not listening. I did tell I was visting Cebu and she said she hoped to see me again. like a dumb shit I said ok...see you at the mall. my god i'm 65 and that's the best I could do.
the guy pushing me around in the wheelchair was about 105 pounds and me 240. he was not asking for a tip. I told him to stop at the money charger in the airport and got 1000 pesos. then to the special lane for us senior and disabled. seems like I was the only one there in that lane. the lady stamping my passport never once made eye contact. just stamped passport and gave it to the porter pushing me. he then took me to baggage and found my 2 bags and loaded them on push cart. I told him i'd take it from there. he started to walk off and told him to come back. I gave him 520 pesos and the guy hugged me. I checked to see if I still had my wallet as he walked away...I do read this forum hahaha.

• Like 2
throttleplate

i never had a bad flight out of the usa and never had any problems at naia.In my opinion some folks are just not mentally preparred to fly the long flight.I put my mind in a place and physche myself out where i know i will not be very comfortable and sleep will be little if none and i will endure this for 72 hours.It works for me,i call it my survivor trip,think about the men whom climbed everest and froze their asses off and died on the mountain and others whom survived with frozen faces and limbs and needed amputations afterwards.Which trek would you rather be on.

• Like 1
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Anyone know where I can pick up del monte spicey ketchup here?  

Never heard of anyone looking for Delmonte Ketchup (in any form). I guess you might find a lot of banana ketchup there? In that case good luck to you!  No seriously, If all you have is delmonte ketchup just send your asawa to the market to find some halang powder (chili powder). Thats all you should need. 

I couldn't imagine having Delmonte ketchup as my only choice. I would go mad! 

Enjoy your trip!