Give them a chance

Brucewayne

Kodiak570

Any others?

Lack of individuality and prioritization of responsibilities.

• Like 1
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Art

• Majorsco

• Brucewayne

• Davaoeno

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Something has dawned on me after all these years and it has been nagging me all this time, but I wasn't sure just what it was. The reason I didn't realize what the problem was in the Philippines befo

The title is Give Them a Chance .  Just how much chance/time do you have in mind ?  WW2 ended almost 70 years ago- so what are they waiting for ?  Are you saying that the way that westerners treat fil

well i'm not sure i agree with your analogy but hey we all have our own opinions. the way i see it is the local culture rabidly embraces the western way of life with all the trappings of gadgets, SUVs

jtmwatchbiz

the ability to delay gratification

JohnFromTexas

They don't lack for that.  What is it that  made the other nations successful that the Philippines doesn't have?

Lack of a good educational system and the belief in the importance of education

Edited by JohnFromTexas
jtmwatchbiz

Lack of a good educational system

well some schools are good and some maybe not so much. i think no matter the education, within this culture there is very limited social mobility so no matter how smart or talented, it's going to usually depend on who your family is or the very least who you know. for one to move from the lower class up to higher status usually requires the skills of meyer lansky, pacman, marriage or at the very least amazing good looks. 

• Like 2
Ozepete

I probably worded it wrong what I was asking was what did the other successful nations have that made them successful that the Philipines lacked?

In one word: Leadership. 

The Philippines has been extremely poorly led since the Marcos demise and even they were bad enough.

Next: Most so called democratic countries with two opposing political parties have had relatively good government. With two well defined ideologically opposed political parties they tend to police each other keeping the bastards relatively honest. The USA with the Dems and Reps., Oz with Labour and Libs, etc

The Philippines could benefit by having two opposed and clearly identified parties and make a ban on buying votes the first law to be actually enforced. 

• Like 2

Giving people a chance is one thing...but not giving them any real hope, guidance or support is another.  To give people a chance implies, at the least, that there is something for them to work towards.  But when a government, of all levels, from local to national, is structured and operates in it's own self serving method, and quite openly as a matter of fact, then what "chance" is really being given?  

• Like 3
JohnFromTexas

well some schools are good and some maybe not so much. i think no matter the education, within this culture there is very limited social mobility so no matter how smart or talented, it's going to usually depend on who your family is or the very least who you know. for one to move from the lower class up to higher status usually requires the skills of meyer lansky, pacman, marriage or at the very least amazing good looks. 

Yes but how many people drop out of the schools that are good because they can't afford to take tests or other supplies?  What educational level are filipinos graduating at compared to the other countries doing better?  What importance on education do families place?  My experience here in the philippines is that people often drop out of school simply for not being able to afford it... that their families in general want them to get an education, but not enough usually to really go out of their way to get them enough education to succeed in life, that those who want higher education often can't afford it, but most don't even want higher education here.  Looking at my wife's family (fairly average filipino, not middle class), the ones who've done the best in life being able to provide for themselves and get ahead are the ones that got the most education or skill training.

Also along with education is skills training -- the ones who don't do well also do not have any labor skills.  Those that do can and want to can generally find work or at least go overseas to work.  It would make up a lot for the educational system if they were at least taught useful job skills for at least those not planning to go any further in the educational system...

rainymike

I believe that in the case of Japan and China it was major social revolutions that replaced old political structures. Some may argue whether the new structures were good or bad, but in both cases revolution and civil war laid the foundation for progress. 

In Hawaii, the revolution was a peaceful and democratic one. Statehood and democracy enabled the locals to vote the large landowners out of power. Big business continued to exist, but they no longer controlled the government. An Asian underclass emerged from WWII and ultimately voted themselves into power. 

In my opinion, the revolution here did not really result in a major shift in the source of old political power. I don't believe that culture has very much to do with it. Cultures and societies adapt to new political realities if given the chance. I don't believe there is anything inherently inferior in the Filipino that wouldn't change if placed in a society that allowed economic mobility. Many of the Fil-Ams that I knew back in the states were very capable people when given the chance. I think it's true here as well, just dormant.

• Like 5
JohnFromTexas

That's a good analysis every social change here that has happened has never cleared out the old family/landowner structure that has existed for so long... and is a major part of the reason things don't progress here.