Philippines - House extensions

spritsail

When designing house I think most people would not think about future extensions, I certainly didn't when I designed my house but recent events - earth quake and typhoon have prompted a review of my house structure and supports.

In developed countries like Britain planning house extensions is fraught with anguish, over zealous planning officers and building regulations means that extensions are carefully scrutinised before acceptance, a process that can take months and cost as much as the extension itself. If the planning application fails then the money is lost, and the planning request has be be resubmitted.

Here in the Philippines I doubt if there such a regime in place, at least not where I live. My original house plans were submitted to the municipal planning office as scribbles on graph paper, signed by bro - in - law, a registered structural engineer. As it was to be built in wood and bamboo with three stone earth retaining walls, it was signed off within a hour and a payment of around 250 php passed over the table.

I have decided to replace the wood pillars (12ft high ) that support the floor with reinforced concrete. The original wood has amazingly lasted 10 years but was showing signs of termite damage and weather degradation. Renewing each pillars is quite simple as there is a lot of redundancy, and I can remove a couple of pillars without sacrificing the structural integrity of the house.

When drawing the plans for my builders it dawned on me that the space below the house, at least 14ft x 36ft, I could build in two self contained appartments and a single guest room that could be avalable to either appartment. Many visitors now insist on A/C and ensuite CR and this was a perfect opportunity to meet that demand.

I don't particularly like hollow block/cement construction but it can house an air conditioning unit that an armacan wall cannot. Although I like the ambiance of bamboo walls and supports but I want my three new rooms to have a seaside /coastal ambiance, decorated in whites and blues.

So, if you are planning to bultd a house it might worthwhile to consider the basement/ground level as a possible means to add that room extension with minimum of effort.

• Like 1
Monkey Brains

what happened to "india" calling? did you hang up on her?

spritsail

Still in the planning phase but have to get house right and then the boat properly fitted out before making the move, (if ever) .