Sign in to follow this  
mrlondon

Sending mail to Manila (and back)

mrlondon

What's a cost effective way to send mail and packages domestically?

What services have you used, what was the price, and how long did it take? And which location did you use to mail it?

Edited by mrlondon

Monsoon

You didn't mention reliably, but I'll take that as a given.

LBC is decent. I don't trust the Philippine post service based on my experience. 

InternetTough

Recently my landlady sent me my rental contract from Manila by LBC. I never got it. She emailed the receipt to me to show that she had actually sent it. Apparently, even LBC has its off days, too.

Edited by InternetTough

Jawny

LBC is the most common from our area, Leyte. Even the courts use it rather than the postage free service from Philpost. Of course, the client has to pay the cost. Never had anything lost.

udonthani

I've sent all sorts of items by LBC to and from all over the country and all have arrived safely. There are less expensive providers of similar services but none of them have anything like the reach of LBC. LBC shops start appearing in Filipino towns about when they reach the 60,000 mark. Towns get an LBC well before they get a Jollibee. You can send letters and packages to either the person's address, or if you want, their nearest LBC shop. Larger towns, like Toledo have two or more LBC's, but every LBC shop in the country has a list of all the shops there is so you can easily make sure you send it to the right one. Minimum LBC fee for the tiniest item, is 250 pesos. As weight and volume gets more, the price rises.

• Like 1

johnboy999

I've regularly had packages sent down from Manila to Dalaguete, 100km south of Cebu City and they always get here next day (unless the items are sent on a Friday or the weekend, in which case they normally get here on the following Monday). Personally, I'm not sure I would trust anybody else to deliver my letters, parcels, etc within the Philippines.

• Like 1

udonthani

just in case you were thinking of sending anything a bit dodgy, they always inspect whatever you are sending thoroughly in the shop. Once I sent the large backpack I had arrived with down to Mindanao as I knew that would be where I packed my bag finally when I left and that I would not need such a large bag again, while I was in the Philippines. It was the bag itself I did not need but there were also a few items in the main part of the bag, but they went through every empty pocket of the backpack thoroughly to make sure that there wasn't anything else in there.

Hy H

just in case you were thinking of sending anything a bit dodgy, they always inspect whatever you are sending thoroughly in the shop. Once I sent the large backpack I had arrived with down to Mindanao as I knew that would be where I packed my bag finally when I left and that I would not need such a large bag again, while I was in the Philippines. It was the bag itself I did not need but there were also a few items in the main part of the bag, but they went through every empty pocket of the backpack thoroughly to make sure that there wasn't anything else in there.

I see.    So you cannot just drop a parcel there ( LBC ) already wrapped securely up?       You have to do the packing there, after they inspect it?

• Like 1

mrlondon

I see.    So you cannot just drop a parcel there ( LBC ) already wrapped securely up?       You have to do the packing there, after they inspect it?

Good question.

udonthani

Yes and no. They want to wrap it up in tape themselves, they would not allow you to do it. It's their job and they do it properly. They won't take you at your word that there isn't a few kilos of shabu in there if you turn up there with a taped up item.

mrlondon

Minimum LBC fee for the tiniest item, is 250 pesos. As weight and volume gets more, the price rises.

So in cases of sending a low cost item, Philpost might be better. I see LBC offices everywhere, but I've never noticed a philpost one. Any clues?

Headshot

So in cases of sending a low cost item, Philpost might be better. I see LBC offices everywhere, but I've never noticed a philpost one. Any clues?

I don't think there are too many PhilPost offices in the UK (which is where your profile says you are).

udonthani

I'm not even sure if the Uk Post Office is actually able to guarantee deliveries to the Philippines. There is a small number of countries where they basically say mate we cannot say whether this item will get there, so it's up to you whether you want to use or services for there. We cannot accept any liability if it gets lost, like we would if it was Singapore, Malaysia or even, I think Thailand. Most of them are in sub Saharan Africa. I think the Philippines could be in that club of countries the UK Post Office thinks are total basket cases.

stevensanph

i have received numerous things sent from the uk through philpost. nothing has gone missing yet and the usual delivery time is around 2 weeks. From the post marks it seems only a few days are spent in philippines

mrlondon

I don't think there are too many PhilPost offices in the UK (which is where your profile says you are).

I see, I meant to say, I am asking about Cebu or Manila. 

By the way, if anyone wants to see the rate calculator for phil post:

https://www.phlpost.gov.ph/rates.php?s=ORDINARY

A 250g- 500g package, airmail manila to cebu, quote is 71 pesos. Or 93peso for up to 1kg..

http://www.lbcexpress.com/

LBC Quote for a 9.5 inch by 14 inch box, max 1kg, online quote is 130 pesos.