Hello From Tim in London

Hi All,

I'm Tim, 31 years old, from London.

After splitting up from my girlfriend of 10 years last year (Yes, not married after 10 years) I'm having trouble finding a partner that I like. I had a few dates with an English girl a few months back, she was great fun really with her loud attention seeking attitude, she was well educated and was quite nice actually, but there was no attraction between us. She drank beer like a man, and had a very rude mouth, that's very common amongst British women. Her dream is to become a highly paid accountant and own a 5 million pound home in west London. No mention of marriage or kids. I guess she saw my £50k Mercedes and thought I was rich, not knowing that most of it was on finance.

I'm currently living back with my parents, only because it's lonely living in a 3 bedroom house without any company. It's being rented out now to tenants and I'm fine with that for the time being. I'm at a stage where I need to move on with my life, either by moving back to my home and start paying the outrageous £1200 - £1500 ($2000 - $2500) monthly bills, or move to Cebu with the intention of meeting my future wife. I hear Filipinas are the best when it comes to being happily married, I guess I’ll make my own judgment on the women.

I'll be visiting Cebu City on the 7th of January, tickets are already booked, and I'll probably be staying at the Tune hotel near to the Ayala mall. My ticket is for a 30 day return flight which was a requirement when booking incase an extended Visa is refused.

My mind is not 100% made up yet on whether I’ll be staying in the Philippines for more than 30 days. I don’t think it’s wise to make that decision without physically seeing the place, but my current lifestyle is to wake up, work from my computer for 12 hours, and relax for a few hours then back to sleep. I’m not a typical guy that can go out drinking and partying every night, I have work and an online business to run.

My intention is to meet a beautiful Filipina that is not attracted to spending my money. I have no plans to get married so fast even though that may be the custom. I want to live with someone for at least a year before making any serious decisions like that.

If all goes well for me after the first week, I’ll probably be looking for an unfurnished 3 bedroom house within a 10-15 mile radius for about 15k per month.

I’ll be soo glad to get away from this 0 degree weather. I’m very excited about this experience and I hope I can make some new friends too.

• Like 2

Tim

Life is what you make it.

At your age and being able to make a living working online from any location, puts the world at your feet, just ake sure you keep those feet on the ground.

You wear your heart on your sleeve which is nice to see and to feel your sincerity, this is undoubtedly a great personality trait but can be seen as a weakness in a place where girls will be all over you.

Take your time, there is definitely the right girl here for you

All the best

Al

Brucewayne

Dreams, don't get your heart broken.

Things aren't idyllic here, but the women are friendlier than most gals from other countries.

Welcome to Cebu, I think you will find it acceptable since you say you don't leave home much and you will avoid a lot of aggravation as well at home.

The return ticket is expensive and unnecessary, as you could have gotten a throw away for less than what you paid for your return ticket.

It is called a "Throw away" ticket you show to immigration upon entry and just throw it away.

Not too many are refused continued visas here, as money is only paid if you are approved and believe me, money speaks volumes in the Philippines.

welcome to the forum as for girls well ou will see when you get here lol The hardest part will be fighting them all off lol .In fact you will find it hard to concentrate on your work with so many temptations around you hahahaha

SomeRandomGuy

welcome tim.. remember quality and not quantity and u will be fine...

also tune sucks find another hotel.

Castle Peak is my hotel of choice when staying in cebu though their buffet breakfast is shit house

• Like 1
Davaoeno

Castle Peak is my hotel of choice when staying in cebu though their buffet breakfast is shit house

I always stay at the Tune .  

• Like 2

Welcome to Forum... :hi:

If this should be useful to Tim or others, think we need more than that...

I always stay at the Tune .  

• Like 1
SomeRandomGuy

1800 a night.. see thru bathroom and a nice little working area.

Flat screen tv with good wifi and brand new rooms.

Dipping pool with good gym upstairds with view of all of cebu and a balcony bar with a great menu and equally great view of cebu... walking distance from ayala and nice and friendly staff.

I have stayed at tune and almost every other hotel.. for value for money and comfort not to mention locality to both sm and ayala and jazz and blues is across the road which is great too.

edited to change poo to pool

Edited by SomeRandomGuy
  • Like 1

Hi Tim,

As always the fundamental question is how will you support yourself for the next 40-50 years.  If you choose to live here remember the adage: "If you want to make a small fortune in the Philippines you have to start with a large one."  You will not be able to work here (legally) unless you have some flavour of resident's visa, the most common being a 13A, a marriage visa.  Be aware that Filipinos will compete for local employment and are prepared to work for a fraction of what you expect.  The only option is to run your own business.  Again, beware.  Read some of the horror stories of people losing their shirts here.  I would also advise you not to enter into business with a Filipino until you understand the culture.

Sorry to be so negative.  I've been married to my Filipina wife for 25 years and it's been fun.  Even in retirement here - read carefully the threads about whether the Philippines is cheaper that elsewhere - I've had fun and been able to supplement my pension with some modest businesses.  That's also somewhat salutary: I keep the businesses 'modest' because I know that if I raise my profile too much they will not allow me to survive unless I pay, and pay, and pay, ...  It is almost impossible to operate here without breaking some law or other, so the envious (or the racial) can always find an excuse to come visiting.

Yes, it's my opinion that in general the Filipinas make great, caring partners.  Don't 'set your sights' on a Filipina partner or else.  However take every opportunity to come here, enjoy a vacation, learn the culture, flirt (or whatever) with the girls, speak with other expatriates, many of whom have trodden the path before you.  Be advised also that should you consider taking a partner back to the UK, the rules are tough and if the partner is applying for British nationality then there is a five year residency qualification (and I believe the Filipina cannot leave the UK during that time - correct me if I'm wrong).

What would I do in your situation?  I don't know your qualifications but I would seek a job in SE Asia or the Middle East and make the Philippines your regular vacationing location.  Don't rush things.

• Like 1

Hi Tim, it was interesting to read your intro message, because I am pretty much in the same situation as you. I used to live in London until a few weeks ago. I am also working in IT and am lucky enough that I can work from my laptop anywhere in the world.

Oh and I also used to drive a fancy Mercedes back in London... What a waste :-) I got tired of the consumption culture, and of people who care more about what you have than who you are, not to mention the cold weather, outrageous prices, and so on. So I'm just now settling in Cebu.

Sorry to hear about the difficult breakup with your long term girlfriend. As others can no doubt tell you, filipinas are eager to meet European men and make great girlfriends or wives, but there are also many pitfalls. Don't rush it.

Suggest you do not go to Cebu with the intention of getting to know a nice girl, but rather go to Cebu with the intention of getting to know Cebu. There is so much more to the place than just women, IMHO, and I believe you need to make sure you are happy with your own life before inviting someone else into it.

I'll be happy to buy you a beer and talk more once you are in Cebu... Just send me a PM once you get enough points to be able to.

Sven

• Like 1

Hi all,

Nice to see so many replies!

I’m very open to remain in the Philippines. I do plan on working online, but for myself, it has nothing to do with anything in the Philippines apart from hiring some cheap content writers and virtual assistants that are based across the country. That may change in the future. I am a web developer by trade and consider myself to be very good at what I do. Maybe I’ll make a better Cebu Forum just for fun, just joking :biggrin_01:

An idea is to rent an office and physically have the staff working for me and hopefully at a lower rate. Currently paying the VA’s 25000 pesos per month for work that I can do myself in quarter of the time does not seem viable to me, especially when a maid earns 3000 pesos a month. I have a lot to learn about the country and I hope my decision is going to open a lot of doors.

Castle peak has good prces and at least provides a desk and chair in the room, I’ll probably o with that, thanks randomguy.

Sven, thanks for the offer, I’ll get the second round then.