Smartest Kids in the World

rainymike

Sadly, the US isn't in the running. Sadly, the Philippines isn't in the running either.

But for those of us who are raising kids in the Phils, you might want to read up on what one expert believes are to be the characteristics of the countries with the smartest kids. Might be able to borrow some of those ideas for raising your kids here.

Ran across this author this morning on the news. You may want to research further.

http://www.amandaripley.com/books/the-smartest-kids-in-the-world

InternetTough

I taught English in a South Korean academy for 11.33 years. I taught South Koreans from 1st grade to adults, including a big steel executive. They aren't geniuses. They value education. Most of them are modest about their intelligence, but look at their own academic achievements as being more as the product of their hard work than their massive brainpower.

If American moms were to regard themselves as having a special responsibility for their children's education,  there would be an improvement in their children's academics. Many South Korean kids are more scared of their moms than their dads. I am sure that many American moms are watching over their kids academic performance, nowadays, but I think more could be done. I think that too many American parents assume that the school will take care of the education. They forget that many kids need a lot of positive encouragement and negative pressure at home to do well in school.

Sometimes Mom should show she cares by being furious at a low test score---you can bet that South Korean moms will.

• Like 2
rainymike

They value education. Most of them are modest about their intelligence, but look at their own academic achievements as being more as the product of their hard work than their massive brainpower.

That's been my experience with some Japanese students as well as many Asian immigrant kids. 

Just for my reference. How much time do you think a grade school student would study in a day outside of school? 

I taught English in a South Korean academy for 11.33 years. I taught South Koreans from 1st grade to adults, including a big steel executive. They aren't geniuses. They value education. Most of them are modest about their intelligence, but look at their own academic achievements as being more as the product of their hard work than their massive brainpower.

If American moms were to regard themselves as having a special responsibility for their children's education,  there would be an improvement in their children's academics. Many South Korean kids are more scared of their moms than their dads. I am sure that many American moms are watching over their kids academic performance, nowadays, but I think more could be done. I think that too many American parents assume that the school will take care of the education. They forget that many kids need a lot of positive encouragement and negative pressure at home to do well in school.

Sometimes Mom should show she cares by being furious at a low test score---you can bet that South Korean moms will.

Many South Korean kids are more scared of their moms than their dads.     Much like here in Philippines? 

Unlike in the West.    Lack of respect to parenting.       I bet in Korean the kids will never even consider suing their parents for being strict or being punished.

smokey

lets see there are two types of education i think ... one book learning and one money making and its a rumor that after you get the first one the second one is easy but thats just bull passed on by the people who own the schools

lets see there are two types of education i think ... one book learning and one money making and its a rumor that after you get the first one the second one is easy but thats just bull passed on by the people who own the schools

.... Who owns the PUBLIC schools?
Davaoeno

Of course it is bull.  But what isnt bull is that being taught to think in more complex ways,  and learning that  putting in the effort to learn more about a subject- will in the long term lead to more opportunities in life - some of course which will lead to more money [ if that is the goal ].

Smokey made lots of money because he got   an advanced degree-  from the school of hard knocks .  And also because he wasnt afraid to do what others didnt want to do ! 

• Like 1
InternetTough

That's been my experience with some Japanese students as well as many Asian immigrant kids. 

Just for my reference. How much time do you think a grade school student would study in a day outside of school? 

Well, there is a dark side to all this, too. I remember standing at a street corner at 10 pm, exhausted from 9 hours of teaching. I heard a little voice saying, "Hi, Teacher!"  It was a student of mine---a fourth grade girl. She had just finished her last academy and was walking home. She probably still had homework to do, and her school day would begin at the usual time in the morning. It was not an uncommon experience for students to be doing homework while everyone else in the house was sleeping! So---the dark side is that the Koreans probably push their kids TOO hard.

There is no general figure I could give you, but most of the students went to several academies outside of school, and the academies would also give homework and tests. I worked in Mokdong, Seoul, which was an academy-happy place.

Edited by InternetTough