British girls more likely to get drunk

Salty Dog

• Administrator
Salty Dog
By Laura Donnelly, Health Correspondent, www.telegraph.co.uk

British girls are more likely to get drunk than those in almost any country in the Western world, international research has found.

Only in Denmark is binge-drinking more common among 15-year-old girls, the analysis of industrialised nations shows.

Experts last night warned that a “ladette culture” had taken grip on Brtain’s teens, with drunkenness reaching epidemic levels among young women, and end-stage liver disease increasingly diagnosed among those in their 20s and 30s.

The study by the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), which examined 27 nations, found that the UK was among just seven nations where teenage girls were more likely to get drunk than were boys of the same age.

In total, 44 per cent of British 15-year-old girls and 39 per cent of boys told researchers that they had been drunk on at least two occassions.

Only Denmark had a higher percentage of teenage girl drinkers.

Countries such as Russia, Estonia, the Czech republic and Slovenia - which are traditionally seen as having a problem with alcohol - had far lower figures.

In countries such as France and Italy, female teen drinking levels were less than half those in the UK, while in the US just 13 per cent of girls had been drunk at least twice by the age of 15.

Britain was one of only seven countries in which levels of drunkenness among teenage girls are higher than that among boys, the figures show, with the UK sixth worst for drinking levels among teenage boys.

Last night Julia Manning, chief executive of the think tank 2020Health, said: “It used to be that women and girls in this country would be ashamed of being drunk, but now this ladette culture has taken hold. We have ended up with a situation where young girls are really concerned about seeming cool - yet they don’t care about being seen vomiting in public.”

Prof Sir Ian Gilmore, special advisor on alcohol to the Royal College of Physicians, said the culture in Britain had changed, so that being drunk was now seen as “socially acceptable”, while children were not protected from advertising which glamorised drinking.

He said: “We are now seeing more and more young women - in their 30s and even in their 20s - with end-stage liver disease. This isn’t necessarily about alcoholics either; this is young women who started early and got into the habit of drinking in large amounts.”

Sir Ian said: “This Government has been very laissez-faire about regulation and this is the result - we are in a very bad place about alcohol.”

Britain’s high position on the female league table means we are one of only seven countries were drunkenness among girls is higher than that among boys.

Eric Appleby, chief executive of Alcohol Concern, said: “Young people have a tough time working out how to deal with alcohol, they’re bombarded with alcohol advertising telling them it’s normal to drink and it’s available everywhere at pocket money prices.”

Britain is far ahead of countries such as Canada (35 per cent), Ireland (28 per cent) and the United States, on just 13 per cent.

Most continental countries fare far better, including Italy (14 per cent), France (17 per cent), Portugal (18 per cent) and Greece (19 per cent).

Among boys, the UK is sixth worst among the industrialised nations. In total, 39 per cent of 15-year-olds said they had been drunk at least twice – much higher than the OECD average of 32 per cent, and more than countries such as France (26 per cent), Italy (19 per cent) and the United States (15 per cent).

Eric Appleby, chief executive of Alcohol Concern, said: “Young people have a tough time working out how to deal with alcohol, they’re bombarded with alcohol advertising telling them it’s normal to drink and it’s available everywhere at pocket money prices.”

Edited by Salty Dog
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• panther

• udonthani

• Paul

• Salty Dog

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

the British women drink because of the British men?  

you may find this helpful  

well when I was growing up the cops took you round the back of the shed and slapped you one if you stepped out of line ,then my father would slowly slide his belt from his waist and do me too .but it

Posted Images

Skywalker

The UK also used to have the biggest under-age teenage pregnancy statistics.

I wonder if the 2 are related?

David_LivinginTalisay

I blame the parents since these are minors @ 15 years old, not legally able to buy alcohol from Supermarkets. Off-Licenses or Pubs, so where are they getting the booze from to get drunk?

Presumably, the irresponsible parents have plenty of booze at home, and are not making sure their underage children, don't help themselves to it!

• Like 1
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

what are you trying to say mr salty

Several post have said how come all we ever talk about is American issues. I saw this article and figured it would probably draw some reactions from our British members. Though I'm sure someone will make light of it, I feel under age drinking is a serious problem regardless of the country. It is no way a jab at the British.

JamesMusslewhite

the British women drink because of the British men?   :biggrin_01:

• Like 5
thebob

Presumably, the irresponsible parents have plenty of booze at home, and are not making sure their underage children, don't help themselves to it!

Now let's think who might want to help 15 year old girls to get drunk? I'm drawing a blank, I can't think of how they manage to get booze.

• Like 2
udonthani

The UK also used to have the biggest under-age teenage pregnancy statistics.

keen as they always are to make out that the UK is in some sort of terminal moral decline, The Daily Fail is always quick to tell the gullible that the UK has one of the highest teen pregnancy rates in Europe (i.e. number of women giving birth age between 15-19 per 100,000)

what they don't tell you, is that the current rate of teen pregnancies in Britain, is at its lowest, since 1969 which is about when the stats started getting collected properly. The number of teenage abortions, is also falling. Like the fall in crime rates in the UK, these statistics are just totally ignored by the Daily Fail.

and the UK does not have anything like the rate of teen pregnancy that some other countries do. Though it is and has been getting lower, It is admittedly high for western Europe, however it is still only a bit more than HALF what the teen pregnancy rate is in eastern European countries like Romania and Bulgaria, and quite a bit (i.e. around 25%) less than the teen pregnancy rate is in the United States.

Several post have said how come all we ever talk about is American issues. I saw this article and figured it would probably draw some reactions from our British members. Though I'm sure someone will make light of it, I feel under age drinking is a serious problem regardless of the country. It is no way a jab at the British.

your right it is a serious problem but the giant supermarkets don,t help the cause because they use alcohol as a loss leader most of the time .when you can buy 4 cans of beer for 5 pounds it will certainly entice the youngsters .I have been approached numerous times by teens asking me to buy beer for them ,i,ve never  done it and never will .but some members of the public do and don,t seem that bothered about it .one waythey do it is buy asking other drunks to buy it for them .someone who is already drunk don,t give a dam about buying drink for others .so as you can see its very easy to get hold of beer if they want to .now we move on to the cause well there are far too many reasons to go into ,bad parenting must of course be the number one reason to start with ,boredom is another excuse they use ,unemployment is another ,my dad left the family yet another so no discipline .

Edited by panther

yes the pregnancy rate is falling but only amongst british born girls ,immigrant pregnacies are in fact rising and guess why that is eh ? yes the good ol benifits system.

I blame the parents since these are minors @ 15 years old, not legally able to buy alcohol from Supermarkets. Off-Licenses or Pubs, so where are they getting the booze from to get drunk?

in glasgow when the going gets tough, the tough get going....

and hair spray becomes the tipple of choice

it used to be town gas bubbled through milk if my memory serves me correctly; but natural gas pit a stop to that

The good ol days when girls used being pregnant as a ticket to getting automatic social housing is slowly being eradicated by the goverment which will be another reason why birth rates are dropping .our goverment are starting to make welfare very hard to obtain better late than never but its working the days of handouts are surely numbered.lets hope the immigrants that are still heading our way get the message .germany is now better than u.k at handing out welfare .

The good ol days when girls used being pregnant as a ticket to getting automatic social housing is slowly being eradicated by the goverment which will be another reason why birth rates are dropping .our goverment are starting to make welfare very hard to obtain better late than never but its working the days of handouts are surely numbered.lets hope the immigrants that are still heading our way get the message .germany is now better than u.k at handing out welfare .

lots of places are better than britain at handing out welfare in terms of cash ..... the UK welfare handouts are actually really crap.

what makes britain a soft touch is that the benefits are handed out on a "needs basis"; ie you dont need to contribute much first. in other places you get much better payout but you must have paid in first

eg where i used to live.... unemployment was 60% of salary plus pension payments on top for up to 3 years.  with a max payout of about 10K euros a month.  but if you hadnt paid in first..... you got zero.

thats why france and belgium et al have camps of people wiating to get to the UK. its not because they get a lot of money, its because the little amount they will get is easier to get

• Like 1
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

lots of places are better than britain at handing out welfare in terms of cash ..... the UK welfare handouts are actually really crap.

Who needs cash? 

Wearing a grin that mocks British justice, Abu Qatada strolls home from a shopping trip – to the £450,000 house he is now living in at taxpayers’ expense. He had left his previous £400,000 four-bedroom rented home after apparently complaining it was too small for him and his family. 

welfaremoslem3-vi.jpg

• Like 1
udonthani

yes the pregnancy rate is falling but only amongst british born girls ,immigrant pregnacies are in fact rising and guess why that is eh ? yes the good ol benifits system.

do yourself a favour pal and stop making stuff up.Teen pregnancies are falling with every social class and ethnic group.

also it is difficult for the Daily Fail to try and point to their being for instance Pakistani or Somali teenage mothers, as evidence of some sort of moral decline.

you know why?

because unlike white teenage mothers, most of them are MARRIED.[/i]

• Like 1