Pocket wifi

the.lone.gunman

Majorsco

For SMART networks, you cannot use a standard sim for internet.  You need the SmartBro broadband sim.  I tried it last year and had to go to the SmartBro sim when the standard sim would only do phone/text functionality. 

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Woolf

• KennyF

• the.lone.gunman

• Majorsco

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Maybe I'm confused but what do these gizmos do that any recent Android phone can't do?   KonC

But do you have a recent phone that can be "tethered" like an Android?   I have an Android phone that I jump onto Smart internet with. That phone is set to be a wireless "hot spot" as they call it

From what I gather its a battery powered wireless router were you would insert your smart,sun,globe sim card into....You can then pickup wifi for your tablet,phone....etc

Posted Images

I use a SmartBro  sim, but Smart Buddy works just the same

Text "on 20" to 2200 for 24 hours on the net and 45GB data. Cost 20 pesos

Text "on 30" to 2200 for 24 hours on the net and 75GB data. Cost 30 pesos

KonC

are you sure this are GB for that money? I think you mean MB.

• Like 1

I've found that tethering laptops to a smartphone reduces performance dramatically compared to using the pocket WiFi. YMMV.

This was with a Nokia 920.

are you sure this are GB for that money? I think you mean MB.

YES........ MB not GB

KonC

For SMART networks, you cannot use a standard sim for internet.  You need the SmartBro broadband sim.  I tried it last year and had to go to the SmartBro sim when the standard sim would only do phone/text functionality. 

Not so. I'm using a Smart Buddy right now.

KonC

Just right now put smart buddy sim in my HTC 1,   made data connection just fine, no problem

unli50      gives you 1 day  unlimited connection    50 php

unli300     gives you 1 week unlimited connection   300 php

unli1200 gives you 1 month unlimited connection  1200 php

send to 211

unli50      gives you 1 day  unlimited connection    50 php

unli300     gives you 1 week unlimited connection   300 php

unli1200 gives you 1 month unlimited connection  1200 php

send to 211

I presume that's Globe?

KonC

I got the first hint from the back of a 300PHP load card a  couple of years ago

check text in the blue bar

post-6705-0-46791100-1385881861_thumb.jpg

miles-high

While a CP has a similar function, I prefer a Pocket WiFi (or equivalent from other providers), simply because you may accidentally leave the CP data on while roaming, possibly expending enormous amount of $$$... A Pocket WiFi or similar is market-specific and would not roam... One less thing to worry about if you travel a lot... :) My Smart Pocket WiFi cost me PHP6,000 a few months ago...

• Like 1
Majorsco

YES........ MB not GB

KonC

Not so. I'm using a Smart Buddy right now.

KonC

It would not work in my iPhone.  Only the Smart Bro worked.  The Smart Buddy only gave me telephone and text features.  That's my experience.

johnboy999

While a CP has a similar function, I prefer a Pocket WiFi (or equivalent from other providers), simply because you may accidentally leave the CP data on while roaming, possibly expending enormous amount of $$$... A Pocket WiFi or similar is market-specific and would not roam... One less thing to worry about if you travel a lot... :) My Smart Pocket WiFi cost me PHP6,000 a few months ago...

I'm guessing you're talking about the LTE/4G SMART pocket wifi. They've now reduced the price on this unit to PHP4,888.

For my Ipad which is not 3g.

How do you connect it to your iPad?  Isn't your iPad WiFi?

the.lone.gunman

The ipad is wifi but if there is no wifi signal nearby i can't get internet. I learned on this thread that i can get a wifi signal thru the Smart sim card on my Samsung phone and make it a wifi hotspot. Then my ipad will find the hotspot and presto, i have an internet connection for my ipad. I dialled 211 on my phone and texted " unli 300 "to that number and i got 7 days unlimited wifi for 300p.....Thanks to all who educated me on this thread.