Irenicus's first week in the Philippines

Irenicus

she (a local teacher) shut down and stopped communicating with me.

Sounds like your first experience of tampo.  Shutting down and not communicating at all.    At least she let you know early on she's tampo prone.

• Like 2
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Irenicus

• SomeRandomGuy

• Monsoon

• Paul

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First off, I wanted to thank all the members who have posted a massive amount of good information on moving/visiting/living in the RP.  I would say 90% of oddly unique things I have encountered I alre

Thanks, great post, I'm sure it brings back memories of how blown away we were when we first arrived to many of us.   You sure seem to have a great attitude towards the place, hope you never lose it

Every week can be like your first. Just let it and don't get dragged down by the negatives. There's a lot of good things here - but different from the west. Learn to enjoy the good and laugh at the no

Posted Images

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

What places,Monsoon?  As to Why Not, I have not eaten there - just had one beer.  If any noob like myself comes to Dumaguete, I would recommend NOT inviting a local lady there for dinner. My stupid ass did and all of a sudden she (a local teacher) shut down and stopped communicating with me.  It was only later that I found out Why Not has some ladies of the night working there, and she had pegged me for a player.  Doh!!  I have since worked it out with the teacher, explaining (truthfully) that I had no idea.

Get yourself to Hayahay sometime. Now when you are fed up with Filipino food you'll be happy that Casablanca and Edelweiss are there. 

• Like 1
SomeRandomGuy

There are some great places... a little bit out of town there is an italian place called giuseppe's that is quiet ok.

Hayahay is great and they even have lobster there sometimes.

Edelweis used to be a lot better then it is now... food is not as good there as it used to be ( in my opinion).

Nature spa just up from hayahay there is a great place for a bit of pampering if u are into that sort of thing ( i totally am by the way).

I have a mate that loves WHYNOT for whatever reason... me personally I just go there once a week and get 100 grams of their farmers ham as it is quiet good and some of their breads there are ok.

Euro bread is ok to.. it is near Edelweis across from hypermart.

Casablanca is actually quiet ok.. though I tend to cook at home more so as Nothing compares to a bit of home cooking.

Ha I am one of those expats that do whinge somewhat as duma is not for me.. to many expats but in all honesty I think for someone coming here for the first time it is a good breaker for filipino life.

Women here are somewhat different... i think being chased by dirty old men all day every day kind of hardens them somewhat to the rest of us that are good guys.

Luckily for me I do not chase skirts... I am trapped under one.

Edited by SomeRandomGuy
  • Like 2

I am already shopping around for a bike. Probably gonna be a Chinabike on/off road (TRIAX or X155). I'll just need to find a good mechanic to give the once (twice/tree times) over after I purchase it and hope the electronics don't fry out in a week. I would never finance something here. The rates are ridiculous - I think it's almost double the actual cash price of the bike after financing.

All things being equal, I'd avoid buying a used bike, unless you know the previous owner personally and trust him like your brother.  Buy new, particularly a China bike.  They will be happy to give you financing (the interest rate will choke a horse, but that is part of the reason it's more fun in the PH).  Parts for China bikes can be really problematic.  Buy new and save yourself a lot of grief.

• Like 1
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Edelweis used to be a lot better then it is now... food is not as good there as it used to be ( in my opinion).

Its a shame to hear that. I haven't been in years. Do they still have draft there and the 'beer club' where you get your 6th beer free or something?

Wonder why he let it go down hill. 

SomeRandomGuy

he gave up and it is now run by a annoying german guy and his ex partner( filipina).

they got rid of the beer club.

A lot of the old crew go to garcia's now..

• Like 1
shadow

Its a shame to hear that. I haven't been in years. Do they still have draft there and the 'beer club' where you get your 6th beer free or something?

Wonder why he let it go down hill. 

He was not making much, so leased it to a german with the personality of a stump. We stopped going there, not the same as before. Much of the old Edelwiess crew is now working at Garcia's, a new bar on the south hiway in banilad, which is a good place for wood fired pizza, lasagna, and the like as well as draft beer.

• Like 2
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

He was not making much, so leased it to a german with the personality of a stump. We stopped going there, not the same as before. Much of the old Edelwiess crew is now working at Garcia's, a new bar on the south hiway in banilad, which is a good place for wood fired pizza, lasagna, and the like as well as draft beer.

Always wonder why people with no personality think they will be successful in a business that deals with the public. 

Well, Irene sorry you can cross off Edelweiss from the list of good places. Now if you had gotten your ass over here sooner you would't have missed it! 

• Like 1
SomeRandomGuy

Always wonder why people with no personality think they will be successful in a business that deals with the public.

Problem is he thinks he has a great one.

I was there three weeks ago for gem's bday ( she likes tess the manager there) and he was arguing with me when i was agreeing with him.

He gets drunk and is just plain annoying. Lots of the regulars there have left and are not coming back.

As Shadow said most of the old staff are at garcia's now including the old manager there and he is a good bloke ( I always liked him he seems quiet good at what he does and is super friendly and even remembered me from 5 years ago).

Actually i went there for the first time the other day to catch up with a few guys and it is quiet good there. Haven't eaten there yet but a aussie drunk regular there says they are quiet good.

Other then that... not much else doing.

oh wait I just went out to tambobo bay to cove sand resort. Had the whole place to ourselves for a few days. It is 1600 peso a night but they give u a great breaky that is way worth it.

Huts on the beach or on the cliff face and the staff were great.

Vicki the owner lives in dumaguete and if u want to go there pm me I will gladly give u her number, as I was really impressed with her staff, her personality and the overall feel of the resort.

• Like 1