• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Irenicus

• SomeRandomGuy

• Monsoon

• Paul

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First off, I wanted to thank all the members who have posted a massive amount of good information on moving/visiting/living in the RP.  I would say 90% of oddly unique things I have encountered I alre

Thanks, great post, I'm sure it brings back memories of how blown away we were when we first arrived to many of us.   You sure seem to have a great attitude towards the place, hope you never lose it

Every week can be like your first. Just let it and don't get dragged down by the negatives. There's a lot of good things here - but different from the west. Learn to enjoy the good and laugh at the no

Posted Images

bahalina buong

Usa pa...bayaran tika ugma. "One more, I will pay you tomorrow"   That always brings laughs from the locals when you are out drinking.  Thanks for posting this...it was a good read.    

After you are settled, try learning, if only a little of it, the language. Trust me, you ain't seen smiles yet, in comparison. 

• Like 4

Sounds like you are enjoying it!.Im interested to follow your blog.  Is that correct (no typo) you paid 375k for a deposit?

Thanks

While I've never lived in Dumaguete I've lived close to there for nearly 4 years now and go there frequently.  I like the public market, prices tend to be a little better than the public markets in Southern Cebu.  In any case, thanks for the post, it was well done.  I was a bit aghast at the price you pay for a bike.  When I rented my first one I paid 3,500p but didn't realize what a great deal I had at the time.  You can buy a new bike for less than you're paying to lease one by the way.  Even though the interest rate will seem usurious to you.

Sounds like you are enjoying it!.Im interested to follow your blog.  Is that correct (no typo) you paid 375k for a deposit?

Thanks

I don't know if Irene has a "blog". This certainly isn't one. It's an online forum software, just so that we are clear. (It gets under my skin when people call this forum a blog. Blogs suck in comparison to real online forums.)

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Dumaguete was the only place in the Philippines in my 7 years time here that a violent crime was attempted against me or a family member. In that case it was a family member. I don't particularly find any of the charm others see in Dumaguete. But, to each their own and we all have different likes and interests - thats what makes the world interesting.

As for trikes in Duma, they are the biggest and most comfortable you are going to find the Philippines. Enjoy them. When you expand your travels here you will know what I mean. And you don't have to share them with people, just pay a bit extra for special trip. But since you have a bike, you won't be taking them much I assume, unless your out on the lash then you would be wise to use anything but your own driving skills. 

There are a few hidden gems in Duma that I enjoy for good food at such cheap prices I can't see how they make money but nonetheless I frequent them any chance I get. Why Not? is definitely not one of them. 

• Like 4
throttleplate

when i lived in dipolog city i met my neighbor an american expat whom was a teacher in the usa.He came to the ph to teach,he applied at the major university in dipolog and was offered the job but it took alot to get in as he had to have proof of his credits as a teacher in the usa,he needed work permits and other papers and it never ended.He was promisd a salary and they withheld money for certain fees and then never gave him what he was promised.

Thhere was infighting as the pinay teachers were jealous of him,he noticed that the pinay teachers were lazy and didnt stress the need to learn and also as a teacher you need to make your own books to hand out to the students.He finaly quit after a year and a half and moved to china and now is making great money all the while the chinees pay for his rent and food.In the ph he was making $300.00 a month for long hours that ran into the evening.

• Like 1
Is that correct (no typo) you paid 375k for a deposit? Thanks

It almost has to be 375usd

Irene has his done his research and he is smarter than that

I think :ROFLMAO:

LOL--- 10-12 years ago I only paid $60usd a month for a good sized room and cr  --- they paid utilities and we paid water--propane

las pinas ---manila------------nothing fancy but clean and secure---- wife said we were paying to much

Edited by KID
  • Like 1

Keep a positive attitude,and enjoy being a kid in a candy store. :)

• Like 1
Irenicus

Is that correct (no typo) you paid 375k for a deposit?

375 USD.  The landlord is American so I (should)/will get my money back.  Half the guys that are here now have rented from him before with absolutely no issues.

You can buy a new bike for less than you're paying to lease one by the way.  Even though the interest rate will seem usurious to you.

I am already shopping around for a bike.  Probably gonna be a Chinabike on/off road (TRIAX or X155).  I'll just need to find a good mechanic to give the once (twice/tree times) over after I purchase it and hope the electronics don't fry out in a week. I would never finance something here.  The rates are ridiculous - I think it's almost double the actual cash price of the bike after financing. 

There are a few hidden gems in Duma that I enjoy for good food at such cheap prices I can't see how they make money but nonetheless I frequent them any chance I get. Why Not? is definitely not one of them. 

What places,Monsoon?  As to Why Not, I have not eaten there - just had one beer.  If any noob like myself comes to Dumaguete, I would recommend NOT inviting a local lady there for dinner. My stupid ass did and all of a sudden she (a local teacher) shut down and stopped communicating with me.  It was only later that I found out Why Not has some ladies of the night working there, and she had pegged me for a player.  Doh!!  I have since worked it out with the teacher, explaining (truthfully) that I had no idea.

It was only later that I found out Why Not has some ladies of the night working there,

So how hot were the girls working at Why Not ? Did U get a few phone numbers ? :yahoo:

shadow

375 USD.  The landlord is American so I (should)/will get my money back.  Half the guys that are here now have rented from him before with absolutely no issues.

I am already shopping around for a bike.  Probably gonna be a Chinabike on/off road (TRIAX or X155).  I'll just need to find a good mechanic to give the once (twice/tree times) over after I purchase it and hope the electronics don't fry out in a week. I would never finance something here.  The rates are ridiculous - I think it's almost double the actual cash price of the bike after financing. 

What places,Monsoon?  As to Why Not, I have not eaten there - just had one beer.  If any noob like myself comes to Dumaguete, I would recommend NOT inviting a local lady there for dinner. My stupid ass did and all of a sudden she (a local teacher) shut down and stopped communicating with me.  It was only later that I found out Why Not has some ladies of the night working there, and she had pegged me for a player.  Doh!!  I have since worked it out with the teacher, explaining (truthfully) that I had no idea.

You might check out Rusi, they were offering 12 months no interest for less you are paying to rent a bike or less...

Edited by shadow
  • Like 1
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

If you want to take a lady friend to a nice place to eat try KRI on Silliman or Casablanca on the blvd. Prices about same as Why Not which I think is a dump.

• Like 3
SomeRandomGuy

You might check out Rusi, they were offering 12 months no interest for less you are paying to rent a bike or less...

are they any good shadow?

I am looking at buying a bike at the moment and I do not know anyone that has bought one.

All in all, its sounds like a good set up.

Yes, you can get cheaper accommodation, and a cheaper bike(I think you said its a YBR ?? which is a good bike to have)

But for your first time there, its a decent start.

Personally I wouldnt recommend committing to a job or volunteering just yet, probably best to travel around a bit(the typhoon might limit the options though), check out other islands & cities. Probably best to apply that to women also, have a look around !

If your there for the long haul, its worth checking out a few places before committing.

Dumaguete is a decent place to start, but I found it unusual compared to other cities.

Oh, and Philippines has some of the best diving in the world, you should get a PADI licence, it wont be wasted if your traveling around.

And dont mind the expat cynics, you'll meet plenty of them, some just want to find someone who will listen to them moan. Take it with a pinch of salt but at the same time, some of their tales of woe can make you a bit wiser, so take what you need.

• Like 4