Irenicus's first week in the Philippines

Irenicus

• Administrator
Salty Dog

Having lived in Dumaguete the last three years, I can say your pretty much right on with your observations.

A few years ago, I rented a motorcycle by the week and got a pretty good discount on a 125cc Honda. I think it was P50 less per day when renting by the week.

• Like 1
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Irenicus

• SomeRandomGuy

• Monsoon

• Paul

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First off, I wanted to thank all the members who have posted a massive amount of good information on moving/visiting/living in the RP.  I would say 90% of oddly unique things I have encountered I alre

Thanks, great post, I'm sure it brings back memories of how blown away we were when we first arrived to many of us.   You sure seem to have a great attitude towards the place, hope you never lose it

Every week can be like your first. Just let it and don't get dragged down by the negatives. There's a lot of good things here - but different from the west. Learn to enjoy the good and laugh at the no

Posted Images

rainymike

Every week can be like your first. Just let it and don't get dragged down by the negatives. There's a lot of good things here - but different from the west. Learn to enjoy the good and laugh at the not so good - seems you are on your way there.

• Like 5
Irenicus

Second, I don't mind if you mention the name of the place you found a decent deal at. Why don't you add the deposit, monthly rate, etc., along with what you already have done?

$150 US per month? Larry (shadow), is that right? Have I not rented in Dumaguete so long, that a typical rate, monthly, for a motorbike is $150 USD?! 

Dumaguete Studio Apartments. 375 deposit and 15K a month.  They (Dave and his wife) do deals for long term stays.  It's expensive but very secure, expat friendly and in meticulous condition - TV, furniture, linens, pots, pan microwave, 10 Mbps internet, etc are included.  I haven't even seen an ant.  The bike is a fairly new YBR, so I don't mind the rate at all.   I know I am paying more for the accommodations, but for a clueless noob like myself, it's perfect.  I will be apartment hunting over the next couple months and looking for a deal, but I am in no rush.

Thanks for sharing. How long a stay?

Could be years.  I was talking to a guy who teaches in one of the local colleges, and he says there are openings for expats with college-level teaching experience.  With colleges all around here, I could either volunteer or get a paid position.  Either way, it will keep me busy and out of trouble.  

Yo! Irene. It's a mind bender isn't it? I'm still 18 days away from wheels down, and it always tickles the imagination.

Can you actually remember any of the things you stressed about, before you got there? Didn't think so.

Have fun, I always do.

LOL, before people would ask how I was doing and I would sarcastically reply, "Another day in paradise."  Now I wake up and actually mean it.  Found a really cool waterfall with a swimming area on the road up to the geothermal plant yesterday (truthfully, I got lost and ran into it) and will be heading up there again this afternoon, after a short siesta.

• Like 3

I know I am paying more for the accommodations, but for a clueless noob like myself, it's perfect.  I will be apartment hunting over the next couple months and looking for a deal, but I am in no rush.

Holy Shite! No doubt you are payin' a premium! Definitely find you a cheaper place, with similar amenities! 

Either way, it will keep me busy and out of trouble.  

I knew you were one of those "boring" types. :D :D 

Seriously, glad you are doin' okay man.

After you are settled, try learning, if only a little of it, the language. Trust me, you ain't seen smiles yet, in comparison. 

• Like 2
littlejohn

Do you have a working visa? I heard about some guy getting deported for volunteering a while back. Supposedly was taking jobs from locals. Of course the only way anything like that happens is if you piss someone off the cops don't care unless someone makes a complaint.

SomeRandomGuy

give me a yell mate I am around and about most of the time and all ways keen for a bike trip to nowhere... getting lost is how u find all the good spots lol

• Like 1
  • Administrator
Salty Dog
getting lost is how u find all the good spots lol

Good spots for what?? :unknw:

Edited by Salty Dog
Irenicus

Sometimes the journey is the reward, man.

:)

• Like 1
Irenicus

Do you have a working visa? I heard about some guy getting deported for volunteering a while back.

Funny you mentioned that.  The school would actually get me the visa.  I asked him what if I only wanted to volunteer - he didn't explain the deportation part, but he did repeat that the school would get me a visa.  

• Like 1
smokey

Funny you mentioned that.  The school would actually get me the visa.  I asked him what if I only wanted to volunteer - he didn't explain the deportation part, but he did repeat that the school would get me a visa.  

ask them does get me a visa mean your paying or i am paying , we got the kids student visa and found out 2 years later then also needed reg. visa plus a school visa 

• Like 2
jtmwatchbiz

post-4506-0-91924100-1385872298_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

My dearest Iren, I'm very sure you understand the internet of the salutation.

Please continue your blog. I will find it most hopeful, especially your expenditures.

My budget will be about125 / 150k month and want to see what it will get.

• Like 1
Irenicus

My budget will be about125 / 150k month and want to see what it will get.

Sheet, even though  I am spending a lot on rent right now (and eating out constantly - I mean every meal), I am not going to be even close to that.

Rent 15K

BIke  4.5K

Food  15K

Electricity 6K

Total main expenditures:  40.5 K

The bike gets good MPG, so gas isn't too much.  Don't have a GF right now, so that's not an issue. either.

I personally like the leaf fires burned in the evening. I actually like the smell and it does help with the bugs a bit in the evening. If you go up to Tiera Alta that overlooks the city around 5-6pm it looks like the whole damn city is on fire.

But give it awhile, that honeymoon effect wears off in Dumaguete rather quickly. I'm glad I'm heading back to work for a year, after more than 3 years straight in Dumaguete, as I'm about fed up with everything filipino/Dumaguete (including most of the expats here). I'd much rather tell a stranger to go screw himself than listen to another BS story from a person I could give a shit less about. Talk to 10 xpats and 9 will give you pretty much the exact same story. I won't get started on the tourists. As for the locals, well you'll find out those stares are just them trying to figure out if you are a newbie and how much they can take you for. There are a lot of crazy bitches here that will do anything to make a quick buck. I suggest setting up some security cameras in your place before getting serious with any of them and allowing them in your place.

• Like 1

Funny you mentioned that. The school would actually get me the visa. I asked him what if I only wanted to volunteer - he didn't explain the deportation part, but he did repeat that the school would get me a visa.

And then charge you an extra 100-200 USD for doing so. Better you do it yourself. It's quite simple. Go to immigration, as what you need, make 10 copies of everything they told you and then pay. Don't give your passport to any local unless you are in the immigration office and they work there.

Trust NOBODY here.

• Like 1