Sign in to follow this  
David_LivinginTalisay

Runaway Beer Dray loses brakes, kills two, in Barili today!

David_LivinginTalisay

TWO PEOPLE KILLED IN BARILI TRUCK ACCIDENT

By Jhunnex Napallacan

5 hours ago (30 Nov 2013, 3:10pm)

Two persons including an 11-year old boy were killed, 16 others mostly children were injured when a 10-wheeler delivery truck carrying beer bottles lost its brake, hit a parked passenger multicab, a parked motorcycle and some civilians before crashing into a computer shop in Barangay Sta. Ana in Barili at 6:30 am today.

Anderson Jason Vergara, 11, who was one of children playing computer games inside the computer house, died on the spot after the monster truck and the cases of beer smashed into his body, according to Barili Police Station desk officer P03 Jorve Timagos.

While a 22-year old mother Jennifer Gonzales Martillan, who was carrying her 3-month old baby, was pronounced dead on arrival at the Barili District Hospital.

P03 Timagos said Martillan’s 3-month old baby Larry John (hospital record showed his name is John Clark Martillan), is being treated at the hospital.

- See more at:

http://cebudailynews.ph/news/story/22667/two-people-killed-in-barili-truck-accident#sthash.atLgbd7B.dpuf

Whats wrong with using engine braking and slowing down by changing going down through the gearbox (or had the clutch gone also), and was the handbrake also not working? [/size]I also heard from 'locals', the driver was shouting "My brakes have gone", so presumable his horn was not working also?[/size]

Photos from Panugaling's Timeline  Facebook:-

post-1-0-61028600-1385815682_thumb.jpg 

post-198-0-31328100-1385813004_thumb.jpg

post-198-0-18159400-1385813014_thumb.jpg

post-198-0-14268900-1385813020_thumb.jpg

post-198-0-71998700-1385813023_thumb.jpg

post-198-0-45559200-1385813031_thumb.jpg

post-198-0-72545300-1385813035_thumb.jpg

Edited by Paul
blurred image of deceased / removed link to facebook page.

jigsy

RIP. Pictures too graphic - no respect for the dead.

Paul

I grayed out the image of the deceased and removed the link to the Fb page where the images were uploaded.

We don't need images like that posted on this site. Let's have a bit more respect for the deceased, please. 

CebuKano

Very sad. Our hearts go out to all involved. Rest In Peace.

lv2play

So sad, i owned a internet/gamecentre along national highway,it could have happened to our young clients or worse ourselves.

RIP.

tobster

It is really lucky more were not killed as that area is a waiting spot for habalx2 and peddlecabs. The yellow house and the multicab in the picture belongs to my wife's best friend who only a week ago had a wake there. Hard to see in the photos but there was a decent concrete in front of the house so the guy must have been really going fast before he lost control. It is really easy to hit 80Kmh coming down that hill from Azucena.

Paul

Is this the same spot, coming into Barili, just before the bridge, where a rice truck over turned a few years ago? 

tobster

Is this the same spot, coming into Barili, just before the bridge, where a rice truck over turned a few years ago? 

Actually it was feeds and the truck ended up in the river.

tobster

Visited the crash site this morning. The truck missed 3 power poles before going sideways and nailing a few native houses. The new multicab is crushed above the chaissis and there are 4 guards guarding the remaining beer which will have to be moved before they can move the truck. Apparently it was fully loaded and on its way to Negros. The driver is in the Barili holding cells and has given blood samples and still claims the brakes failed but witnesses have said he apparently or may have lost control. My wifes bestfriends koral, multicab and shop are a total loss.

Woolf

Cebu Daily News

Last Act Of Love

9 hours ago (30 Nov 2013, 11:26pm)

A young mother's last act of love yesterday saved her three-month-old son from sure death in a freak vehicular accident in the town of Barili in soutern Cebu.

Jennifer Martillan, 22, was breastfeeding her baby at around 6:30 a.m when a 10-wheeler truck crashed into their house a few meters from the main highway in barangay Sta. Ana.

Jennifer threw the baby to the side before she was hit by the careening truck and was killed on the spot, said her 75-year-old grandmother Bini Vicentillo.

The infant, John Clark, was rushed to the Barili District Hospital with 15 others who were injured in the accident, inlcuding the truck driver. Half of the wounded were children.

The baby is out of danger, but was among seven victims transferred to the Vicente Sotto Memorial Medical Center in Cebu City for further treatment. Eight of the injured were children aged 4 to 14 years old.

"Ang bata tua pa, gi-X-ray kay gasige pa ug kurog. Gi-CT scan na to siya pag-abot namo," Vicentillo said yesterday afternoon. (The baby was undergoing an X-ray scan because he's still convulsing. He underwent a CT scan when we arrived in the hospital.)

Also killed in the accident was 11-year-old Anderson Jason Vergara, who was pinned down by the front axle of the truck.

The boy was playing video games in an Internet café next to the smashed house, like most of the injured children, said PO3 Jorve Timagos of the Barili police.

Among those injured were: John Philip Guro, 5; Franklin Guro, 14; Maria Guro, 7; John Carlo Guro, 6; Mary Joy Guro, 4; Genara Bayabos, 54; John Michael Selitona, 11; Florencio Selitona, 48; Romeo Bayabos, 53; Jude Martin Buhay, 8; Jose Aguilar, 53; Joshua Vergara, 14; Roqate Vergara, 9; Luis, Bayday, 57; and the truck driver, Adonis Samolde Quiñanola.

A hospital staffer said John Michael Selitona was in critical condition.

Police said the truck, which was carrying cases of beer, was cruising through the national highway on its way to Malabuyoc town from Cebu City, when the driver noticed that the brakes were malfunctioning.

The driver, Adonis Quiñanola, said he tried to warn people on the road by sounding the truck's horn until he lost control of the wheel.

The truck, which is owned by JAK Logistics Transport, rammed a Multicab and a motorcycle before crashing into the house and an Internet café. The truck flipped over and dumped hundreds of cases of beer from its cargo hold.

The driver said he steered the truck towards the parked Multicab, hoping this would stop the heavy vehicle from crashing into people along the road.

"Wala na gyud ni-paak ang brake. Ni-decide na lang ko nga ibangga kaysa daghan pa ug maangin," he said in a radio interview. (The brakes wouldn't work. That why I decided to ram the truck hoping this would save lives.)

PO3 Timagos said the driver and his assistant, Elmer Kolango, are under police custody. The driver will be charged with reckless imprudence resulting to homicide and physical injuries and damage to property.

- See more at: http://cebudailynews.ph/news/story/22671/last-act-of-love#sthash.H0XaeEa6.dpuf

Paul

Actually it was feeds and the truck ended up in the river.

Okay. But is it the SAME spot? That's what I wanted to know.

Paul

Okay. But is it the SAME spot? That's what I wanted to know.

Someone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Bill H

That is a steep hill.  With the poor condition of so many of these big trucks it's a wonder this does not happen more often.  In any case, very sad so many innocents lost their lives.

Paul

Maybe no one sees my posts? Can ANYONE please tell me if this is the location where the accident was?

(See map for the area I believe to be the location of the accident. Red circle.)

barili_cebu_map_a.png

tobster

Maybe no one sees my posts? Can ANYONE please tell me if this is the location where the accident was?

(See map for the area I believe to be the location of the accident. Red circle.)

attachicon.gifbarili_cebu_map_a.png

yes same spot Paul.