BI Update - Dress code and processing

udonthani

And these are the people who call you by your first name, and treat you like a long lost friend, whose been a regular visitor for more than 10 years.

the law is the law and I made a mistake.

they would not have let me inside the Grand Palace in Bangkok dressed that way either. Long pants, check. Shirt with collar, check. That's good.

but flip flops and not strap-around-the-back sandals, and they won't have it. Doesn't matter if you are kano, farang, Thai or Filipino.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• udonthani

• Skywalker

• Monsoon

• HTM

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would always wear long trousers at the BoI office anyway, regardless of whether or not they were enforcing any dress code.   I am the same when I go out in the evenings too. A couple of nights ago

Personally, I'll dress any way that makes the process go easily. I always prefer to have low paid govt employees feel good when I deal with them. They are less likely to screw over someone who "play

Actually I disagree, many of us laugh of this focus on being able to go to BI as a bum and homeless. For me, this total lack of respect!   Show some respect, then you have less trouble in this count

Skywalker

Doesn't matter if you are kano, farang, Thai or Filipino.

Or close personal friends with the staff.  What a blow to the myth about who you know, not what you know!

To stay on topic.  Dress as if you were going to a decent restaurant for dinner.  It's really that simple.

• Like 1
CebuKano

I think it all depends on the guard out front. Maybe he occasionally gets a cut from the guy who rents pants and shoes out front.

The do enforce the rule against Filipinas at times also. They wouldn't let my wife in last summer because she was wearing a skort which is half skirt and half shorts used for playing tennis.

Exactly. I've been there (Mandaue) when they are very strict with everyone and other times anything goes. I guess that it's the luck of the draw, so to speak. I never test them though. I just dress according to their rules each time because the last thing I want to do is be forced back home to correct my wardrobe and make the trip a second time.

• Like 1
CebuKano

Dress as if you were going to a decent restaurant for dinner.  It's really that simple.

This is an excellent way to put it. Excellent rule of thumb, so to speak.

udonthani

This is an excellent way to put it. Excellent rule of thumb, so to speak.

I do agree and if you have your arm in a sling, you have the opportunity to have THEM fill in the form for you. Which they did.

• Like 1
CebuKano

I do agree and if you have your arm in a sling, you have the opportunity to have THEM fill in the form for you. Which they did.

Yeah, come to think of it, I forgot to ask you about how you filled out the forms. Being slightly "handicapped" has it's advantages, no? :D

But... they do keep changing the forms. Even worst they play around with requirements on a daily basis. There is little or no interbranch communication. That fact screwed up my last application big time.

What has this to do with dress code? I try to dress up a bit to go to a already mentioned, respectable places. With the way they mess people around, the fixers I have had to put on smile for and respectfully decline? To top it all get charged more in a few months than its costs for 6 years in Japan.

Like many things here its just 'face' and means little.

I will continue too dress for what supposedly is a government office but really feel like dressing the same way I do to clean the pigs.