BI Update - Dress code and processing

udonthani

I guess you've never travelled on a Ceres bus? 99.9% of the conductors/inspectors/drivers I've ever seen on there are wearing blue jeans. And they are all Filipinos. So, how is that a totally inappropriate choice of clothing?

can't say I have noticed that however I do not travel on buses all that often these days. Jeans are far too heavy for a climate like this. The material is far too coarse, and thick, they make whoever wears them too hot, they will accumulate a lot of sweat, therefore will get dirtier quicker and also they are not easy to wash, or dry compared to clothes made of lighter material. They are also the wrong colour. Light colored fabrics are better for a tropical climate, because they reflect light and heat. Though I must say I don't particularly like jeans in ANY climate. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• udonthani

• Skywalker

• Monsoon

• HTM

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would always wear long trousers at the BoI office anyway, regardless of whether or not they were enforcing any dress code.   I am the same when I go out in the evenings too. A couple of nights ago

Personally, I'll dress any way that makes the process go easily. I always prefer to have low paid govt employees feel good when I deal with them. They are less likely to screw over someone who "play

Actually I disagree, many of us laugh of this focus on being able to go to BI as a bum and homeless. For me, this total lack of respect!   Show some respect, then you have less trouble in this count

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

The problem that BI had is that many tourists were not aware of the "dress code rules", this is understandable at first visit.

Which is exactly my point. Stop advertising this place as a destination showing white sand beaches and then expect your visitors to bring slacks to extend their visa. In fact, it should be a virtual 'drive thru' like Macdonalds kind of procedure. Now if you are there on real official business like an interview with one of the immigration atty.'s for a residency visa then you should of course wear something other than a thong and wife beater. 

But otherwise, just make the visa extension about what it is - collecting money. 

• Like 2

Which is exactly my point. Stop advertising this place as a destination showing white sand beaches and then expect your visitors to bring slacks to extend their visa. In fact, it should be a virtual 'drive thru' like Macdonalds kind of procedure. Now if you are there on real official business like an interview with one of the immigration atty.'s for a residency visa then you should of course wear something other than a thong and wife beater. 

But otherwise, just make the visa extension about what it is - collecting money. 

Sorry dong! I don't going  reply any of your post, only moderate you if it is necessary in my job as moderator.

I do not discuss with people here who accuses me of committing serious crimes, such I take elsewhere.

This was my last communication with you here!

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Sorry dong! I don't going  reply any of your post, only moderate you if it is necessary in my job as moderator.

I do not discuss with people here who accuses me of committing serious crimes, such I take elsewhere.

This was my last communication with you here!

Huh? You lost me there. Im usually good at understanding broken english. But Im stumped.

Edit: Where is elsewhere?

You really lost me on this one. 

Edited by Monsoon
  • Like 2
musicman666

When I was just there I was quizzing the lady on the welcome desk about why it takes so long here when at the airport it's immediate? ....she mumbled something about Manila and not giving them a staff budget....and then pointed at the suggestion box!

The fact is that you could fly in wearing a borat thong and they would give you a stamp straight away in real time. I can't see the point of the Mandaue office other than some elaborate pantomime to keep a load of people employed and extract various fees. What a huge waste of time and effort....welcome to the Philippines.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Quite gathering at Mandaue office this mid-morning.

Dress code has definitely been relaxed with some guys doing their business in standard backyard outfits. T-shirts, basketball singlets, straples sandals and shorts.

Big guy wasn’t there but rather efficient and polite lady occupying the first receiving seat.

extended visa at GMIM SATETLLITE OFFICE in lapu-lapu city.  dressed with long pants and dress shirt. gf and I first customers of the day. very nice people to deal with. total time 18 min's.  when we left a guy walked in and said hello and told me he was from the u.s. we went to eat and buy Christmas toys so 2 hours later we walked by immigration office and it was empty. counter help just drinking coffee and kicking back. even waived at us as we walked by.

I had to laugh when I got home...500 p for express lane and we were the only people in there. but I should not complain as I was a week late in getting there to extend and they dropped the late fee. this was done by the fellow who takes the money. I hear he can be rude at times but not with me...was it because I had a dress shirt and long pants? was it because I called him sir? who knows but everything went perfect.

• Like 1
udonthani

I'm going in tomorrow so we will see as I actually only have a pair of stapless sandals. This stupid girl made me throw away a comfortable pair of strapped around the back sandals because they were worn, I was in no state of mind to object on that occasion, however they were wonderfully comfortable and unlike what I'm wearing now, would have passed the dress code test. Obviously I will wear long trousers same as I always do. 

musicman666

I'm going in tomorrow so we will see as I actually only have a pair of stapless sandals. This stupid girl made me throw away a comfortable pair of strapped around the back sandals because they were worn, I was in no state of mind to object on that occasion, however they were wonderfully comfortable and unlike what I'm wearing now, would have passed the dress code test. Obviously I will wear long trousers same as I always do.

Better wear a shirt as we'll just to be on the safe side.

• Like 1

With the astronomical amount of money they take off you. I'm surprised they don't allow you in naked!

udonthani

got in with flip flops, though was wearing shirt with collar and long pants. 

quickest ever actually, surprising, especially so with it being so close to Christmas. 30 minutes. Couldn't believe it. I think either having an arm in a sling, or that they all know me now there, address me familialy, and call me by my first name, quickens things up. 

JohnFromTexas

Exit clearance are not required for a Filipino citizen. His was probably the so called tourist tax.

They actually make them pay an exit tax now as well.  If you have been here less than 6 months or a year (can't remember which) as a filipino living abroad, you don't have to pay a tax, but you still have to pay the 200p processing fee... It seems like the process to leave was way more complicated than before as well (like 4 or 5 different stops before getting to the gate not including check in with the airline)... the level of bureaucracy is getting pretty intense but I guess you gotta employ people somehow... I was just waiting to see whether there'd be a filipina blowup at the gate like the last time I left (or even if it'd be us doing the blow up)... totally classic speech of how everything that had happened to her at the airport was exactly why she left the philippines :)

Skywalker

30 minutes. Couldn't believe it. I think either having an arm in a sling, or that they all know me now there, address me familialy, and call me by my first name, quickens things up. 

I was in and out in 20 minutes on Wednesday morning.  Most of the people there were with their foreign partners, many of who seem to be in an absolute daze.  I guess for many it's the only time they are not asleep or in a bar.

And funnily enough, they call all applicants by all their names.  I think it's something they just read off the passports.  If you really think they know you, you seriously need a reality check.  You don't even live here.

Talk about Saint Kano syndrome!!!!!   :snap:

Skywalker

Big guy wasn’t there

The big guy, according to the nice lady substituting for him, is in Dumaguete.