BI Update - Dress code and processing

Thanks for adding nothing of value to this thread.

Actually I disagree, many of us laugh of this focus on being able to go to BI as a bum and homeless. For me, this total lack of respect!

Show some respect, then you have less trouble in this country.

• Like 5
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• udonthani

• Skywalker

• Monsoon

• HTM

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would always wear long trousers at the BoI office anyway, regardless of whether or not they were enforcing any dress code.   I am the same when I go out in the evenings too. A couple of nights ago

Personally, I'll dress any way that makes the process go easily. I always prefer to have low paid govt employees feel good when I deal with them. They are less likely to screw over someone who "play

Actually I disagree, many of us laugh of this focus on being able to go to BI as a bum and homeless. For me, this total lack of respect!   Show some respect, then you have less trouble in this count

A couple of nights ago I had a drink with a foreign friend in a videoke bar in a small Cebu town. The place is not flash, but decent. Soft furnishings. Not a spit and sawdust 5 peso in the slot kind of place. My friend was wearing shorts. I pointed out to him that of the 15 or so guys in the room, only two were wearing shorts, him and another foreigner. Each one of the dozen Filipino guys, almost all of whom were under 30, were wearing long trousers.

I don't wear shorts when I go out at night in Manila or Cebu City but Argao is a different deal completely. I wasn't wearing my glasses but the rest of those people in the videoke looked to be about 18,19 at most. I've noticed most locals don't wear shorts even at the mall, go figure. Back to topic, I was at BI Mandaue last week with shorts, sandals, no problem. As someone said, they have the same signs up that say no shorts, etc. Today I had the 13a interview so it was pants, shoes, button shirt. Not that it was required but it is respectful in that situation, I think. I was told they had new lawyers, new procedures that had been greatly improved but it was the same lawyer, same everything as I remember it a year ago. The same guy who took my fingerprints (downstairs) said their staff had been cut from 20 something to 6.   

udonthani

I don't wear shorts when I go out at night in Manila or Cebu City but Argao is a different deal completely. I wasn't wearing my glasses but the rest of those people in the videoke looked to be about 18,19 at most. I've noticed most locals don't wear shorts even at the mall, go figure.

Filipinos do wear shorts more often than other south east Asian men though. Thais and Malaysians, you almost never see them wearing shorts. The only people wearing shorts there are children, or bums and foreigners (or both). Filipinos you do see wearing shorts though more often, why this is I don't know. Probably a feature of them being that bit more westernised. I went back in that same bar the next night, when you weren't there, place was even more full, this time ONE Filipino guy was wearing shorts out of about 12. I am also far more relaxed about dress in provincial towns like Argao than Cebu city, however I will still usually wear long trousers out. I have noticed that people like other customers and wait staff treat you quite differently if you are wearing long trousers and a shirt with collar rather than just shorts and t-shirt - and not just in more upscale places.

miles-high

Long sleeve shirts/pants have other benefit, too: http://www.cdc.gov/Dengue/prevention/ Maybe BI is concerned about your welfare as well... ;)

Although I usually wear a short-sleeve shirt/long pants, I move from a building to a building in an air conditioned car and I seldom go outside…

I have never gotten dengue but I guess you guys with shorts never gotten dengue so my statement has no scientific value… :D

• Like 1
liquido

Needed an extension, due today , and an exit clearance, as Im heading off to Thailand in Dec, visa run, and meet up with family for xmas.

Decided to test the recent dress code changes, so wore the usual nice shirt and shoes etc, just swapped the long trouser for shorts.

Off I went yesterday to Lapu Lapu BI office, because I dislike the " Mandaue experince ".They still have the old dress code posted on the door, and when I mentioned that to the guy at the desk just inside the door, he said yes sir, before u not get in, in shorts ! But he was pretty relaxed, cos he had his mp4 earplugs in, and his sunglasses on ..inside !

So, it was the usual 8 to 10 minute process, only 2 others there.. BUT ....cannot do Exit clearance here sir, must go to Mandaue ... bugga !

Well I had an afternoon appointmen so good excuse to stay in city overnight, and go in the morning.

Off to Mandaue at 8am in my shorts again... old dress code posted on the door, but no comment from guard, but curious looks from all the guys in long trousers.

I had, my 3 photos,passport, and travel docs, as instructed... after filling in the form with the girl at the desk, the big guy was not there, I then had to go outside, get the form notarized, and get a photocopy of my ACR- I Card, by the time i got back, the place was filled up. Anyway, I went through the Recieving, Cashier, and Releasing process, plus Thumb printed ..In all took about 75 mins, but it looked like the normal visa extension taking about 45 mins.

I asked, if I could have done this at the airport, to which the reply was definitely NO SIr , so what if i turn up without it ? You wont be allowed to leave the country sir ..So those who still think u can do it at the airport ..be warned !

Here in Davao they wanted 4 pics plus they copied my pic page of my passport and date I entered country which cost me 4 pesos...They did not ask for my ACR card probably because i was not getting an extension....shorts ok sandals not...   

Both my wife and I had to leave the desk at Qantas in Manila Airport and go and buy some sort of minor departure tax

Could that have been an airport tax?

SkyMan

For me, this total lack of respect!

You feel wearing shorts is a total lack of respect? I think someone telling me I have to wear pants is a total lack of respect. And we're talking about the BI here where respect needs to be earned and was lost many years ago.
  • Like 3
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Actually I disagree, many of us laugh of this focus on being able to go to BI as a bum and homeless. For me, this total lack of respect!

Show some respect, then you have less trouble in this country.

I say bullcockadoodle. I have shorts and golf.shirts that cost more than my slacks. Ive seen people "dressed appropriately" at immigration that looked like bums. I can go to the post office in shorts, LTO, why not immigration?

One shows respect for a country in their.actions, not by wearing slacks/trousers.

Edited by Monsoon
  • Like 2
Majorsco

Personally, I'll dress any way that makes the process go easily. I always prefer to have low paid govt employees feel good when I deal with them. They are less likely to screw over someone who "plays the game" vs someone who doesn't. I dress well when I go to any govt office.

Some may consider it unnecessary or overkill, but I get better results with honey than vinegar.

• Like 7
SkyMan

Personally, I'll dress any way that makes the process go easily. I always prefer to have low paid govt employees feel good when I deal with them. They are less likely to screw over someone who "plays the game" vs someone who doesn't. I dress well when I go to any govt office.

Some may consider it unnecessary or overkill, but I get better results with honey than vinegar.

If that works for you, great. And I'd never tell you you're wrong for dressing the way you want. I just don't understand why people feel it's necessary to tell me to dress differently when it works fine for me.
  • Like 3

You feel wearing shorts is a total lack of respect? I think someone telling me I have to wear pants is a total lack of respect. And we're talking about the BI here where respect needs to be earned and was lost many years ago.

This don't only applies to BI but many other places as well, people look like they are living on the streets. They give a damn about anyone else, even at good restaurants you can find this kind of foreigners. I lose my appetite of some of them. Some of them are like dirty bum!

I'm not talking about those who dress in style even if they have shorts, you've all seen the ones I'm talking about

(White trash).

• Like 1

If that works for you, great. And I'd never tell you you're wrong for dressing the way you want. I just don't understand why people feel it's necessary to tell me to dress differently when it works fine for me.

article-2066324-0EF22BE900000578-476_468

dc3driver

I would always wear long trousers at the BoI office anyway, regardless of whether or not they were enforcing any dress code.

I am the same when I go out in the evenings too. A couple of nights ago I had a drink with a foreign friend in a videoke bar in a small Cebu town. The place is not flash, but decent. Soft furnishings. Not a spit and sawdust 5 peso in the slot kind of place. My friend was wearing shorts. I pointed out to him that of the 15 or so guys in the room, only two were wearing shorts, him and another foreigner. Each one of the dozen Filipino guys, almost all of whom were under 30, were wearing long trousers.

I'm in the city now and I will be wearing long trousers later too, when I am walking around in the evening, although right now in the afternoon, yes I am, wearing shorts. To me it just doesn't feel or look right walking around a city at night, in shorts.

Exactly! Shorts are for little boys. When you grow up you can wear long pants. Applies especally here in the Philippines.

• Like 2
towboat72

Filipinos do wear shorts more often than other south east Asian men though. Thais and Malaysians, you almost never see them wearing shorts. The only people wearing shorts there are children, or bums and foreigners (or both). Filipinos you do see wearing shorts though more often, why this is I don't know. Probably a feature of them being that bit more westernised. I went back in that same bar the next night, when you weren't there, place was even more full, this time ONE Filipino guy was wearing shorts out of about 12. I am also far more relaxed about dress in provincial towns like Argao than Cebu city, however I will still usually wear long trousers out. I have noticed that people like other customers and wait staff treat you quite differently if you are wearing long trousers and a shirt with collar rather than just shorts and t-shirt - and not just in more upscale places.

I thought this topic was about bi and not whippies  dress code

Edited by towboat72
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

This don't only applies to BI but many other places as well, people look like they are living on the streets. They give a damn about anyone else, even at good restaurants you can find this kind of foreigners. I lose my appetite of some of them. Some of them are like dirty bum!

I'm not talking about those who dress in style even if they have shorts, you've all seen the ones I'm talking about(White trash).

You should probably change up where you hang out then. If thats all you see from the expat community.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk