BI Update - Dress code and processing

Needed an extension, due today , and an exit clearance, as Im heading off to Thailand in Dec, visa run, and meet up with family for xmas.

Decided to test the recent dress code changes, so wore the usual nice shirt and shoes etc, just swapped the long trouser for shorts.

Off I went yesterday to Lapu Lapu BI office, because I dislike the " Mandaue experince ".They still have the old dress code posted on the door, and when I mentioned that to the guy at the desk just inside the door, he said yes sir, before u not get in, in shorts ! But he was pretty relaxed, cos he had his mp4 earplugs in, and his sunglasses on ..inside !

So, it was the usual 8 to 10 minute process, only 2 others there.. BUT ....cannot do Exit clearance here sir, must go to Mandaue ... bugga !

Well I had an afternoon appointmen so good excuse to stay in city overnight, and go in the morning.

Off to Mandaue at 8am in my shorts again... old dress code posted on the door, but no comment from guard, but curious looks from all the guys in long trousers.

I had, my 3 photos,passport, and travel docs, as instructed... after filling in the form with the girl at the desk, the big guy was not there, I then had to go outside, get the form notarized, and get a photocopy of my ACR- I Card, by the time i got back, the place was filled up. Anyway, I went through the Recieving, Cashier, and Releasing process, plus Thumb printed ..In all took about 75 mins, but it looked like the normal visa extension taking about 45 mins.

I asked, if I could have done this at the airport, to which the reply was definitely NO SIr , so what if i turn up without it ? You wont be allowed to leave the country sir ..So those who still think u can do it at the airport ..be warned !

• Like 4
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• udonthani

• Skywalker

• Monsoon

• HTM

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would always wear long trousers at the BoI office anyway, regardless of whether or not they were enforcing any dress code.   I am the same when I go out in the evenings too. A couple of nights ago

Personally, I'll dress any way that makes the process go easily. I always prefer to have low paid govt employees feel good when I deal with them. They are less likely to screw over someone who "play

Actually I disagree, many of us laugh of this focus on being able to go to BI as a bum and homeless. For me, this total lack of respect!   Show some respect, then you have less trouble in this count

Skywalker

A couple of months ago I took myself to Bangkok, and my butler also came along.  I paid for his exit clearance at the airport.  Is it only locals that can do that then?

Just curious.  I've not stayed for a single period in excess of 6 months, so never needed to get it.

If you stay more than 6 month as a tourist in the philippines, you need to go get an Exit Clearance Certificate (ECC) at the immigration office

If you are on a 13a visa, everything is done at the airport

Edited by Woolf
  • Like 3
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

A couple of months ago I took myself to Bangkok, and my butler also came along.  I paid for his exit clearance at the airport.  Is it only locals that can do that then?

Just curious.  I've not stayed for a single period in excess of 6 months, so never needed to get it.

Exit clearance are not required for a Filipino citizen. His was probably the so called tourist tax.
johnboy999

That is the travel tax that you paid for your butler, not exit clearance. The ECC that is mentioned by Gus is a totally different thing!

• Like 1
Skywalker

I have the receipt in front of me.  It's called "Travel Tax" in the amount of 1620 pesos.

I am easily confused these days.  The fee's and taxes sometimes overwhelm my little brain.   :cool:

I've never come across such a tax in any other Country.  Sometimes there is an airport tax, but a tax just so you can travel is a strange one.

Edited by Skywalker
  • Like 1
johnboy999

Even better, they levy it on ALL of their citizens, with just a few exemptions, even children have to pay (to be fair, they are only charged half price for the tax). Nice little earner!!

• Like 1
udonthani

I would always wear long trousers at the BoI office anyway, regardless of whether or not they were enforcing any dress code.

I am the same when I go out in the evenings too. A couple of nights ago I had a drink with a foreign friend in a videoke bar in a small Cebu town. The place is not flash, but decent. Soft furnishings. Not a spit and sawdust 5 peso in the slot kind of place. My friend was wearing shorts. I pointed out to him that of the 15 or so guys in the room, only two were wearing shorts, him and another foreigner. Each one of the dozen Filipino guys, almost all of whom were under 30, were wearing long trousers.

I'm in the city now and I will be wearing long trousers later too, when I am walking around in the evening, although right now in the afternoon, yes I am, wearing shorts. To me it just doesn't feel or look right walking around a city at night, in shorts.

• Like 8
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

They supply a public notary for free at the immigration head office. They should do so in the major substations too. But that would require consistency, maybe sometime this century, maybe.  

• Like 1
Majorsco

Exit clearance are not required for a Filipino citizen. His was probably the so called tourist tax.

How about Balikbayans, is an ECC needed?

mikejwoodnz

How about Balikbayans, is an ECC needed?

Both my wife and I had to leave the desk at Qantas in Manila Airport and go and buy some sort of minor departure tax - under 6 months visit and this was not the normal 500 p (or whatever) we expected at the final counter.

Edit :  I am Balikbayan and my wife is Pinay

Edited by mikejwoodnz
SkyMan

I would always...

Thanks for adding nothing of value to this thread.
  • Like 3

my butler also came along.

What passport does he carry?

Skywalker

What passport does he carry?

Oh he's locally recruited.  Philippines passport, it was his first international flight.

The travel tax was a surprise to both of us.