Fuel: unleaded or premium?

ILoveCyrus

So talking to a local in LLC and he said claims that premium has LEAD in it.  Is it true?

93 octane is unleaded

95 octane is LEADED..............so he says.  I'm not sure he is right.

Have I been putting the wrong type of fuel in my car?

I hope I haven't done any damages........... YIKES

I usually gas up at Petron.  We have a 4 banger Mazda Demio (Mazda 2) early version from 2003 or so.

Rocketman

Hard to imagine. Lead was removed many years ago. I don't drive here so have never really looked at the pumps but they should have stickers on them indicating lead free.

ILoveCyrus

I'm thinking he's off his rocker.....LOL

• Admin (Retired)
broden

where's it coming from? is it coming from china? everything from china seems to have lead in it

throttleplate

google it,premium fuel in the philippines had LEAD in it,it is not outlawed,other asian countries also ok to use lead.Go for a long walk by a busy street,it does wonders for your lungs and overall health.

throttleplate

lead adds octane,stops engine from knocking and coats the valves,good for old cars pre 1970 or abouts.

ILoveCyrus

phased out but not Banned.....LOL.  Don't you just love the Philippines.

thebob

What the heck does Lead do for fuel anyway....???  More zip?

This news article from 2001 says Lead has been phased out.  Just more Mis-information from a local who thinks he "knows".

http://www.philstar.com/business/98387/leaded-gasoline-finally-phased-out

Lead was an additive that stopped knocking in high compression engines.

93 octane should be OK for an old Demio. It isn't a high compression engine.

If you want unleaded fuel, you will have to go to stations that sell it. In my area, Petron stations do not sell unleaded. Their fuels DO contain lead.

What I have been told by locals is that unleaded is unpopular as it is an alcohol based fuel and will damage engines.

Unleaded is hard to find in some areas due to the unpopularity of it and "out of stock" syndrome.

To be honest, I never thought about it anywhere outside the USA. But, years ago, growing up, there were two different sized nozzels for leaded and unleaded petrol pumps. Likewise, the filler holes in cars that only took unleaded and leaded matched. Leaded pump nozzels were larger.

Catalytic converters were in the newer cars back then, therefore could not take leaded fuels. What I was taught was, the lead would "gum" up the converter on the car? So, early on, people just removed the converters from the exhaust systems, used a punch to punch out the filler tube opening, and just use leaded fuel.

Majorsco

If you want unleaded fuel, you will have to go to stations that sell it. In my area, Petron stations do not sell unleaded. Their fuels DO contain lead.

What I have been told by locals is that unleaded is unpopular as it is an alcohol based fuel and will damage engines.

Unleaded is hard to find in some areas due to the unpopularity of it and "out of stock" syndrome.

Unleaded gasoline is not alcohol based itself. In recent tests ethanol has been added to gasoline to extend the petroleum supply. If leaded gas was still available in the US then ethanol would be added to that too.

In modern engines the ethanol does not damage them. The key area is that hoses that can be dried out and damaged by alcohol have been reformulated to prevent the problem.

cebubird

When we first got our multicab van 3 years ago, I put unleaded in it and it pinged/knocked like crazy and was told to put nothing but the highest octane in it, which is leaded. No problem since. Just seemed really strange to me that a dinky 3 cyl engine would need a high octane gas.

stevensanph

yes, same here.  Had a little owner type for a while.  Had to put the high octane stuff in it as it needed all the lead it could get.  The lower octane ethanol based stuff would literally destroy the engine...

throttleplate

as a mechanic i am pretty good with fuels.OCTANE means "fuels resistance to ignition or explosion" The higher the octane the harder for the fuel to ignite,the lower the octane the easier it is to ignite.Pinging or knocking in your engine is the noise made from low octane fuel or carbon in your combustion chamber glowing red hot igniting the fuel before the spark plug does.How so you ask?

A normal combustion chamber at ignition is 1600 degrees farenht,bad fuel or low octane fuel can ignite at lower temps,this happens as the piston is coming up on compression stroke and starts to compress the fuel the low octane will self ignite and then when the spark plug sparks it ignites the rest of the fuel in the combustion chamber and when these 2 flame fronts meet each other is when you hear the pinging or knocking sound,its called preiignition.Also the fuel can ignite before the spark plug sparks due to a carbon buildup in the cylinder head,the carbon glows red hot and will ignite the fuel before the spark and then again the 2 flame fronts meet and you here the pinging which is the actual colliding of the 2 flame fronts.

Higher octane fuel will ignite at a much higher temp than 1600 degrees,if you have a high compression engine you need high octane fuel or else the compression stroke itself will cause preignition before spark goes off.The damage to you engine is noticeable on the piston crown as it will put dings or actually burn a hole in piston top.

Engine timing is anothe important deal as timing too advanced will cause hot spots in combustion chamber do to fuel not having time to cool down combustion chamber.Another thing is vapor lock in the summer,yes there is a difference between summer and winter fuel but i will save that for another day.

• Like 3