Globe Broadband (Wimax modem) Port Forwarding

Is it even possible? Trying to setup remote view/control of my security cameras through a Chinese rip off DVR. No point in going into details of what i have done to try to achieve this up to this point if the answer is simply "it's not possible". I'll just say what tools I have to work with.

1. Linksys WRT54G ROUTER

2. PC

3. DVR

4. Paid DDNS service

5. Paid VPN service

I have followed every setup guide I could possibly find to the "t" (and made several attempts at each one). I believe the modem is what's blocking my port forwarding. (I can remote access the DVR through my local network).

All Globe has to say online is "would you like to upgrade to our business plan?"

Irenicus

1. Linksys WRT54G ROUTER

If it is not a version 5, you can add custom firmware (tomato or DD-wrt) that will allow you to do all kinds of neat things - VPN stuff is one of them.

What you are trying to do, I think is not possible

The globe internal net is ip 10.x.x.x  that is not a public ip address

here is a pic my wimax  wan setup

post-6705-0-98952500-1385645623_thumb.jpg

What is the ip address that you are trying to feed to the DDNS ?

If it is not a version 5, you can add custom firmware (tomato or DD-wrt) that will allow you to do all kinds of neat things - VPN stuff is one of them.

I just borrowed a WRT610N from a friend. I believe this will fix the VPN issue.

• Like 1

What is the ip address that you are trying to feed to the DDNS ?

I have simply followed the guides offered by dyndns (portforward website) I have entered 192.168.1.115 as the device forwarding the ports, which are 8080 and 9000. That is the static address I have setup for my dvr with my router. DDNS recognizes my public IP as 112.xx.xx.54. I am unable to ping the my.dyndns.domain (from inside or outside my local network) but my update client for my DNS on my PC says all is good and logs show that my router and dvr have communicated with the domain.

I can view the DVR locally by entering 192.168.1.115:8080 into IE. Remotely hasn't happened. I've also entered my dvr into the DMZ field on my router (i believe this is supposed to open all ports for said device).

112.x.x.54  is a globe public ip address

the globe internal net is 10.x.x.x (that is not a public ip)  so some kind of router is involved here, you have no access to do any port forwarding there

Your globe modem also works as a router wan port ip is 10.x.x.x and lan port 192.168.x.x  (not a public ip) and you can not do any port forwarding there either

So access from outside to any of your local devices is NOT possible

Edited by Woolf

112.x.x.54 is a globe public ip address

the globe internal net is 10.x.x.x (that is not a public ip) so some kind of router is involved here, you have no access to do any port forwarding there

Your globe modem also works as a router wan port ip is 10.x.x.x and lan port 192.168.x.x (not a public ip) and you can not do any port forwarding there either

So access from outside to any of your local devices is NOT possible

So a upgrade to their "business plan" or changing ISP is my only option?

I do have an option of viewing the DVR locally on my PC and then remotely viewing my PC from outside my LAN via Slashtop app, both of which I can do and have been doing as a substitute, this obviously isn't ideal as i will be out of country and any brownouts means someone has to be here to turn on and log into Windows for me. This is what gets me though. Why can I remotely view and operate my PC but not my DVR?

Could I not run the DVR feed to a laptop and use the view client software provided and use the PC as a router of sorts?

If the "business plan" will give you a public ip at the wan side of your router,  yes.

I have not used any other isp than globe here, so cant tell how the others operate their net

Edited by Woolf

If the "business plan" will give you a public ip at the wan side of your router, yes.

I have not used any other isp than globe here, so cant tell how the others operate their net

According to Globe it's the only way to get a public static IP and use port forwarding. Should have know something like this would have happened. Nothing can ever be easy here.

USMC-Retired

You have to get to the admin page which is locked from view on the Wimax modem/router.  Wimax runs behind a proxy server so there are a few layers of issues.  There are hacks out there to open up the admin page.  Once you do that you can set up all of that.  I did that with my wimax to include a sip phone.

You have to get to the admin page which is locked from view on the Wimax modem/router. Wimax runs behind a proxy server so there are a few layers of issues. There are hacks out there to open up the admin page. Once you do that you can set up all of that. I did that with my wimax to include a sip phone.

I believe in my search of how to do something like that I ran across several news articles of 3 locals arrested for doing such a thing.

USMC-Retired

No they were arrested for using a MAC generator and then changing the MAC ID of the Wimax device.   The wimax uses MAC ID in determining which plan you have and what if your are able to get on.  So they were actually stealing someone's service.  However if you just go in and modify it to give you better results well it is your equipment.   

No they were arrested for using a MAC generator and then changing the MAC ID of the Wimax device. The wimax uses MAC ID in determining which plan you have and what if your are able to get on. So they were actually stealing someone's service. However if you just go in and modify it to give you better results well it is your equipment.

It says on the side of the box that the modem remains the sole property of Globe. I believe some of those words are capitalized. :)