Sign in to follow this  
udonthani

1000 dollars a month for just having an American kid

Sonny

No problem

With 4 16 year old wives you will be a mental nut case in a week or less

IF he survives the honeymoon !!!

rainymike

I was talking to a US expat the other night who has had a kid here by a local woman.   much to his own surprise as well as mine, he found out that he is entitled to a Communist-type handout from the government of the United States, for having a kid here.   WTF is this?

It's a social security benefit for a retiree.

It's not a handout. Over my lifetime, I paid into Social Security. After a certain age, I am eligible to collect on my benefits. Theoretically, it is from the moneys that I put into the system. It was a pretty considerable sum of money especially if you would compound the interest on it. Theoretically, I should be eligible to get it all back in one lump sum on the day of my retirement, but that's not how it works. Instead, they give me a percentage until I die. If I live long and prosper, I may get it all back. If not, it's tough titties for me. The government has made out like a bandit on this one.

The concept of providing a supplement to a child is intended to provide a security blanket for the child until 18 years of age. And again, it's based on the money put into the system. Today, the average American worker puts $600,000 into the system (2011) during their life. If that worker lived to 84, he would collect $550,000. You do the math.

I just made 62 this year and applied for early benefits. My monthly benefits were reduced as a result. My 2 year old girl became eligible for benefits as well. LOL ... now it you think its a scam ... you've never raised children. The SSA will investigate the case to see if my claim is legitimate. And yes, they will regularly require me to report in. 

And if you think my mind works like yours, sorry, it doesn't. I cherish my family, especially the little girl. Nobody is giving me anything that I didn't already work for and earn. If I die tomorrow, the system is working in providing some small benefit to my family. But it will not be anywhere near my contribution into the system.

• Like 5

Salty Dog

I guess I'm way below average. I'm looking at my current Social Security Statement that you receive once a year. It show the following for 35 years (1969-2003) of work, 32 of that in the military where I still paid Social security based on my basic pay.

Estimated taxes paid for Social Security:
You paid: $47,966
Your employers paid: $48,023

Estimated taxes paid for Medicare:
You paid: $11,135
Your employers paid: $11,135

A far cry from the $500,000 to $600,000 quoted by several previous post.

I also turn 62 soon and will take my benefit early with the 25% reduction. At my current benefit rate, I will get everything back I personally paid, in less than 3 years. Including my employer contribution in less than 6 years.

Even if you worked at the maximum (2012) rate for 42 years, you would have paid in less than $400 a month (far less 40 years ago). To have paid $600.000 you would have to have paid over $1,000 a month.

I assume then that the figures take into account compounding your contribution over the years. Even at a decent yearly rate, mine would have been no where near $600,000. I made more taxable wages my last year working, than I made my first 10 years. So my initial compounded amount is significantly smaller.

While many people are great at investing and keeping their hands off of their investments so they can grow over the years, far to many Americans aren't. Many would have had nothing to show after 40 years of working if they had been allowed to keep their social security contribution and been allowed to do with it as they pleased.

smokey

it varies i had to pay my whole amount because i was self employed and as i was 1099 i could not hide and usually had to pay anywhere from 5,000 to 8,000 year , i just read a story about some guy from the philippines who worked 35 years and paid in and was expecting a nice SS check and he was told he will be getting 4,400 p a month now how far will that go, america is a great country 

i think the shock to the system is when they figured guys were going to retire they never figured on so many collecting SS to have babies 

Edited by smokey

veenjac

ok..i'm not the smartest kid on the block so I need help with this.
I am 100% va disabled= $2816.00
I am 100% ssd= $747.00
I am getting married to a lady with 2 kids. age 5 and age 16 and both healthy.
how much do I get for each child?
whatever the amount I might be able to send them to private school and give them some nice things. not using it to buy Toyota or san Miguel.
also where is the ss office in manila...i'm thinking embassy compound?
thanks for any replys, jim

Salty Dog

i just read a story about some guy from the philippines who worked 35 years and paid in and was expecting a nice SS check and he was told he will be getting 4,400 p a month now how far will that go, america is a great country 

My wife is unemployed, but she pays into SSS here It's only P312 a month. When she was in the hospital, not only did she have Phil Health pay about $24,000 but she also got a check from SSS for around P3,000 for the month she was recovering. Women who have babies also get around P6,000 from SSS.

Edited by Salty Dog

Brucewayne

ok..i'm not the smartest kid on the block so I need help with this.

I am 100% va disabled= $2816.00

I am 100% ssd= $747.00

I am getting married to a lady with 2 kids. age 5 and age 16 and both healthy.

how much do I get for each child?

whatever the amount I might be able to send them to private school and give them some nice things. not using it to buy Toyota or san Miguel.

also where is the ss office in manila...i'm thinking embassy compound?

thanks for any replys, jim

For "her" children, you get nothing.

rainymike

If you're interested. Here's the actual data for a month put out by the SSA.

http://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/quickfacts/stat_snapshot/

With a little extra calculation, it seems that there are close to 40 million Americans on SS today, collecting an average of $1,272 a month.

There are about 600,000 children of these retired (and alive) Americans who receive an average of $621 a month for retirement benefits. (I imagine some smaller percentage actually might get $1,000 a month). 

There are about 1.9 million children of retired (and deceased) Americans who receive an average of $800 a month as survivor benefits.

$621 doesn't seem like a hell of a lot. Those who are earning a decent SS wage in retirement most likely don't have a welfare mentality (duh ... they busted their asses for a lot of years to earn that). Maybe $621 a month might seem to be a lot of money to the average pinoy, but I don't really see it as any kind of incentive for me to become part of a baby factory. It doesn't hurt, but the real cost of kids is not just food on the table, its healthcare (when my kids get sick it keeps bouncing back an forth for a month before it leaves the house), a lot of time in schoolwork assistance, PTA meetings, blah, blah, blah. Kids are great, but a whole lot of work and expense if you try to do it right.

Brucewayne

If you're interested. Here's the actual data for a month put out by the SSA.

http://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/quickfacts/stat_snapshot/

With a little extra calculation, it seems that there are close to 40 million Americans on SS today, collecting an average of $1,272 a month.

There are about 600,000 children of these retired (and alive) Americans who receive an average of $621 a month for retirement benefits. (I imagine some smaller percentage actually might get $1,000 a month). 

There are about 1.9 million children of retired (and deceased) Americans who receive an average of $800 a month as survivor benefits.

$621 doesn't seem like a hell of a lot. Those who are earning a decent SS wage in retirement most likely don't have a welfare mentality (duh ... they busted their asses for a lot of years to earn that). Maybe $621 a month might seem to be a lot of money to the average pinoy, but I don't really see it as any kind of incentive for me to become part of a baby factory. It doesn't hurt, but the real cost of kids is not just food on the table, its healthcare (when my kids get sick it keeps bouncing back an forth for a month before it leaves the house), a lot of time in schoolwork assistance, PTA meetings, blah, blah, blah. Kids are great, but a whole lot of work and expense if you try to do it right.

Those who think social security is a form of welfare ought to look at how much is paid out each year, then compare that to how much is handed out to developing countries each year.

Now foreign aid is welfare in it's purest sense and it is money we will never likely get back into our system.

• Like 1

davewe

I have this as my future plan as well; not to long into the future Let's clarify a couple things. A child of a retiree does not automatically get $1000 or $700 or whatever. The child receives the equivalent of approx. 50% of what the retiree gets in SS payments. If you have more than one child, multiple children can collect but there is a maximum allowed total collection.

My guess (and it's just a guess) is that this benefit was not initiated to assist a 65 year old with a young wife. It is probably most used by retired grandparents who have adopted or are guardians of grandchildren. An adopted child counts just as much as a biological one.

My plan is a simple one. When we have a child and I retire, we will take most of the SS benefit and save it for education.

• Like 2

Brucewayne

I have this as my future plan as well; not to long into the future Let's clarify a couple things. A child of a retiree does not automatically get $1000 or $700 or whatever. The child receives the equivalent of approx. 50% of what the retiree gets in SS payments. If you have more than one child, multiple children can collect but there is a maximum allowed total collection.

My guess (and it's just a guess) is that this benefit was not initiated to assist a 65 year old with a young wife. It is probably most used by retired grandparents who have adopted or are guardians of grandchildren. An adopted child counts just as much as a biological one.

My plan is a simple one. When we have a child and I retire, we will take most of the SS benefit and save it for education.

There is only one payment, it doesn't go up with the number of children you have.

If you get $500.00 for one child, you will still only recieve $500.00 if you have 10-20 or even 100.

The 200% comes in if your spouse becomes the caregiver of both you and your minor child.

Also, a double payment is paid if you die and the wife is eligible for the Widows fund, or survivor benefits along with the child, they would recieve a full check for each of them.

Headshot

I don't think you guys understand the OP. This thread is NOT about dependent Social Security. It is about Social Security payments for moderately to severely handicapped children (which may be extended to adulthood). There is no relationship between what you receive for social security and what a handicapped child receives...and each handicapped child receives their own benefit checks (of course in the name of the guardian). Their benefits are calculated strictly on the types and severity of handicaps they have. If you have five handicapped children in your care, you receive payments for each of them based on their disabilities. There is no universal set amount for these payments.

Edit...oops. However, what I said is true. With handicapped kids the rules are completely different.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1

SkyMan

Actually, yes, Whippy was talking about Dependent SS in the OP and was wondering why US kids get $1000 when Brit kids only $120 or something. Well, it's because they're US kids and not Brit kids, that's why.

Edited by SkyMan

Headshot

:sorry:  I guess I got this thread mixed up with another one. Sorry about that.