Cherry Mobile Superion Explorer

BossHog

Thinking about picking up one of these for a holiday gift.

Cherry Mobile Superion Explorer Spec Sheet

• 1GHz Snapdragon 8225 Processor
  • 512MB RAM
  • 7.0-inches Multi-touch Screen (Resolution TBC)
  • 3G, WiFi, WiFi Hotspot, Call, SMS, GPS, Bluetooth
  • Android Jelly Bean 4.1
  • 3,000mAH Battery
  • SRP: Php4,499

"It’s a 7-inch tablet that has full call and SMS capabilities."

post-5791-0-71021800-1385602550_thumb.jpg

http://www.yugatech.com/personal-computing/cherry-mobile-outs-three-new-budget-android-tablets/

http://www.unbox.ph/gadget/cherry-mobile-superion-explorer-dual-core-3g-7-inch-tablet-for-php4499/

The price makes it very tempting.

512MB RAM seems very light but they gotta make em cheap somehow, I guess.

The cheapest new Cherry Mobile tablet (Cherry Mobile Fusion Breeze) is only 1,999. Nearly disposable but seriously crippled. Maybe okay for a road trip or something where you wouldn't mind losing it and might be happy if you did. lol

Looks like they're just being released to the stores now. Anyone got their hands on one yet?

Skywalker

Cherry Mobile stuff is very cheaply made, unreliable, and a false economy.

My Filipino friends have nothing good to say about them. They call them 'Chi-phones' as in China phones.

Don't bother.

MarinePride

I have two Cherry Mobile tablets.  The oldest one is two and a half years old and I use it everyday.  It runs Gingerbread 2.3 and works good enough, the problem is the battery, which only lasts just over 2 hours and the screen is at half brightness. 

The second one is a Cherry Mobile Fusion Bolt and it is much better.  Battery life is over 8 hours and runs Ice Cream Sandwich if I recall correctly.  I don't use it though, but my kids play the hell out of it with Mindcraft for hours everyday it seems.

The price for each of them was less than $100 USD and that's about all I want to spend on tablet technology that is evolving rapidly.  You get what you pay for when it comes to gadgets like this and I knew that going in.  Both always work when they need to and that's what is important to me. 

• Like 2
Davaoeno

I have been using a dual sim MyPhone 919 since january . I have not had a single problem 

udonthani

my Cherry Mobile phone works fine and in fact I was using it in the UK for months before I got round to getting another one. There is nothing wrong with it at all. They are very popular particularly among girls  - they seem to be colored pink, more often than not.

Cherry or MyPhone, both fine for the price.

Can someone tell me the benefit of an iPhone or Galaxy over these cheaper phones.

$100 to $150 versus $600 to $700?

What do you get for your 5 fold increase in price?

KonC

Skywalker

I have a friend here who runs a stall in E-Mall.  She and her husband,  buy, sell and repairs phones, cameras and laptops.  He was the one who told me that.

They are popular because they are more affordable.  I guess it's the difference between a multicab and a Montero!   :yahoo:

Cherry or MyPhone, both fine for the price.

Can someone tell me the benefit of an iPhone or Galaxy over these cheaper phones.

$100 to $150 versus $600 to $700?

KonC

Quality, and that most important thing here  STATUS!   :Yay:

BossHog

Higher resolution screen, ability to multitask smoothly, more megapixels for the camera, additional GB's of storage memory. longer life battery, sturdier build quality, etc.  Your use determines if you need those better features.

The gift is for a kid so I'm not gonna drop a bundle.

Just wish they made these things waterproof.

Anyways, I'm already familiar with the brand and have bought CherryMobile products as gifts before. Wondering more about the new line of tablets that they've just released, as described above.

Edited by BossHog

With all due respect, I think you might be assuming here.

I can't say I know much about these high end phones (except that iPhones are notorious for shattered screens).

My Arc Memo phone has....

5.3 screen which is simply brilliant

8 MP back camera 2MP front camera

A quad core 1.2GHz CPU

Dual sims

Android 4.2 Jellybean

4GB hard drive and 16 GB SD card

WiFi and Bluetooth

12 month warranty.

Battery life three or four days standby..

well over 24 hours used constantly (including the kids watchin a 90 minute video)

It cost 6000 pesos, delivered to my door on Camiguin

I honestly can't see the value in an iPhone.

What needs keeping in mind is that a lot of folk don't buy a cell phone to last.

People tend to update 24 to 36 month intervals

KonC

• Like 2
BossHog

The funny thing is:

I do all the research on specs and read reviews trying to get the best value for our money. but never even touch or play with these phones and tablets.

The recipients haven't a clue about the processors and RAM, etc but are the ones to use them all day long.

• Like 1
thebob

For me it would need more storage. I have a Kindle Fire, but 8Gb is a bit limiting. I only use it as a reader, and store books and PDF's on it.

The Kindle OS is horrible, but there isn't a root for it yet.

Edited by thebob

A Phablet has a larger screen and as such needs to be faster than 1 ghz in order to run some apps (games and maps etc..) smoothly.    If you get a larger screen device make sure it is at least min 1.2 ghz dual core.    

good luck. 

For me it would need more storage.

Most modern Android phones will allow you to slide in a 32 GB [x10]SD chip so 32 + 8 = 40GB, That's maybe 50 movies (for instance).

KonC

Skywalker

40GB, That's maybe 50 movies (for instance).

If only that was true.  

Do you have any idea how big a HD movie is these days?  I have a 16gig ipad, and it is totally inadequate to be honest, in the storage department.

• Like 1