Sign in to follow this  
Wolfpack

Does investing in the Philippines, help or hurt relationships?

Wolfpack

Filipina wives are under a great deal of pressure, the moment they marry a white man...and in some cases, even before the marriage...

I get, some Philippine families are extremely poor...and need help...but it is the degree of that help...that is the question...

It is one thing to just give a monthly amount to a Philippine family...what begs to question...does investing in the Philippines actually help or hurt relationships...

A word of caution for those investing in the Philippines...Once you buy a house, the property is in the name of the wife only...(the house, can be in a white mans name..) .families then, can pressure your wife to borrow money againt the house...without you even knowing about it...

Sven

What type of investment do you have in mind..?

Since a foreigner cannot own property (regardless of race!), I would think the main potential investments are stocks and shares, mutual funds, bonds, etc.

Then there are vehicles, boats, condos, and maybe a house on someone else's land as you say.

panther

nope but calling your wife a control freak will hurt your relationship in my opinion just saying.

• Like 2

Wolfpack

What type of investment do you have in mind..?

Since a foreigner cannot own property (regardless of race!), I would think the main potential investments are stocks and shares, mutual funds, bonds, etc.

Then there are vehicles, boats, condos, and maybe a house on someone else's land as you say.

oh, I am not thinking about making any additional investments here...

I have bought a 2 multicabs, a car, atv, jetski, taxi franchise, jeepney franchise, pigs, goats, chickens and a house...and IMO, it has put a great deal of pressure on my wife...and a friend of mine recently bought a very nice house and his wife changed her phone number because of all the pressure she was under following that transaction...

MY advice to anyone thinking about it...based on MY personal experience...would be not to invest in high dollar items in the Philippines...

This is a CHANGE in my opinion...because if you asked me this same question 8 years ago, I would have recommended investments...obviously, based on the money I spent...

but I would like to hear other peoples experiences...if there are any good/benefit stories ot investments in the Philippines...

jtmwatchbiz

this topic has been beaten to death here for years already. as everyone knows, here just like in the rest of the world there are women from lower, middle and upper class backgrounds and to generalize about the women and families from lower income families is pointless. every situation is different and your advice is so old hat that if you feel some calling to be the self-appointed forum adviser on life's perils your posts would be more productive if you simply quoted warning labels on medicine bottles. 

• Like 2

spooks

I will never again invest capital in the Philippines,I am cured 

I will run business from the Philippines, just not into it anymore

Edited by spooks
  • Like 4

Sven

this topic has been beaten to death here for years already. as everyone knows...

Don't forget, some of us are new, to the forum and to the country.

So... My GF from DIA says I should buy her a house... Should I travel to RP first? What if I'm afraid of flying... And of women (except mum)...? :-)

• Like 3

Wolfpack

this topic has been beaten to death here for years already. as everyone knows, here just like in the rest of the world there are women from lower, middle and upper class backgrounds and to generalize about the women and families from lower income families is pointless. every situation is different and your advice is so old hat that if you feel some calling to be the self-appointed forum adviser on life's perils your posts would be more productive if you simply quoted warning labels on medicine bottles. 

you have been posting on the forums for a long time...yet you do not know how to stay on topic without making some type of personal attack if you life depended on it...

now, I have offered on many occasions to meet with you on social events of all kinds...and you are the only person I ever invited that always declines...can't help a guy that avoids help...that be you amigo...

• Like 1

Gus

oh, I am not thinking about making any additional investments here...

I have bought a 2 multicabs, a car, atv, jetski, taxi franchise, jeepney franchise, pigs, goats, chickens and a house...and IMO, it has put a great deal of pressure on my wife...and a friend of mine recently bought a very nice house and his wife changed her phone number because of all the pressure she was under following that transaction...

MY advice to anyone thinking about it...based on MY personal experience...would be not to invest in high dollar items in the Philippines...

This is a CHANGE in my opinion...because if you asked me this same question 8 years ago, I would have recommended investments...obviously, based on the money I spent...

you can hardly call any of those things u listed as investments, unless they are providing you with an income, or showing growth in the value..perhaps the house would be an investment, for your wife, as its sitting on her land. The rest appear to be toys, and gifts to the family..of course i could be wrong.. if so , what is your ROI ?

but I would like to hear other peoples experiences...if there are any good/benefit stories ot investments in the Philippines...

Gus

Messed that post up huh ?

• Like 3

rainymike

It is one thing to just give a monthly amount to a Philippine family...what begs to question...does investing in the Philippines actually help or hurt relationships...

Although I have concerns about purchase of property, my primary investment in time and money and nerves - is my children. In which case, it has strengthened the relationship. Too much concern about trivial things distract from what makes relationships strong and creates all sorts of humbug. 

I suggest turning the question around. To strengthen a relationship, what kind of investments truly help? And how? Brings the focus to what I think you're struggling to get at. Of course, that often puts me in the position of being the kuripot foreigner to some relatives - because I don't see the answer to their problems solely in terms of money. Fortunately my partner has come around to seeing things in a similar manner.

• Like 1

Monsoon

Filipina wives are under a great deal of pressure, the moment they marry a white man...and in some cases, even before the marriage...

Mine isn't / wasn't. 

I get, some Philippine families are extremely poor...and need help...but it is the degree of that help...that is the question...

No more or less than I would help if my in-laws were American, English, Scottish or Colombian. If there's a family emergency there's an emergency. But I am not the world bank. I have never given my wife's family a peso. And they have  never asked. There have  been no emergencies. Kids of gotten sick, but they get better. My wife gets concerned about a nephew with dengue just as any other auntie would.But we aren't responsible for other people's kids. Why should it be any different? 

​Why anyone would do this is beyond me. The thought of it is just creepy. Giving a family a set amount of money each month. Its like you would be renting your wife. 

A word of caution for those investing in the Philippines...Once you buy a house, the property is in the name of the wife only...(the house, can be in a white mans name..) .families then, can pressure your wife to borrow money againt the house...without you even knowing about it...  

Edited by Monsoon
  • Like 4

Tom in Texas

are any good/benefit stories ot investments in the Philippines...

If fortunate enough to be able to do so, "invest" in things to better (at least in your opinion) your Filipino families quality of life.

I have been happy with my Philippine "investments" so far.... Housing with indoor plumbing and electricity... Trike... All education costs (three nieces in college right now)... An emergency account they can only access for medical emergencies... and similar lesser items.

The return on these investments is paid in smiles and happiness... and like the commercial says... Priceless.

• Like 6

jtmwatchbiz

you have been posting on the forums for a long time...yet you do not know how to stay on topic without making some type of personal attack if you life depended on it...

now, I have offered on many occasions to meet with you on social events of all kinds...and you are the only person I ever invited that always declines...can't help a guy that avoids help...that be you amigo...

oh not to worry my posts are completely on topic but like most other members they just differ from your twisted opinion, and please quote the personal attacks you fantasize about and report them to the mods.

finally, perhaps you should get the hint why i decline your invitations, and it would be a cold day in hell when i need any "help" from you in any way...  

Paul

To stay on topic, I was involved with a Filipina. We lived with her family, in a home built by her family, in Barili, near the water. 

During the time I lived there, her family probably did more for me, than I did for them. They were far from being rich, far from middle class incomes.

They never asked me for anything. In fact, it was all I could do to get them to ever take money.

Once, I bought the best quality rice I could, 50 kilos. They didn't want it. They were happy with the corn-rice. Her father, especially, liked it better than the "high end stuff". So, they left it for me to eat. 

Now, would I invest in property there, to build a home? Not on your life, not ever, never, ever, ever. 

• Like 4