Why Do 1.4 Million Americans Work At Walmart, With Many More Trying To?

Salty Dog

USMC-Retired

People that hate Walmart how they treat employees and still shop there.  So all you haters if you shop there you are a Hypocrite and should really just stop talking.   Walmart gives you great prices at a low rate.  I chose a job with less money to not work at Walmart, they could also.  I still shop at walmart and love it.  You have skills or an education you have choices.....

• Like 1
  • Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hoz

• lifeisgood

• KID

• Enuff

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

By Doug Altner, Forbe   Observe any hiring center for a new Walmart and you will see thousands of individuals eager to become a Walmart associate. Many already have jobs at fast food restaurants, su

Start a business, hire people and give them a good wage that you deem as fare.  Stop whining and do something about it.  

and working at walmart beats SM and ayala which have the same Chinese stock but pay their employees 1 dollar an hour 

Posted Images

Moot, 

The thread is about jobs, not your perception of goods and services. It's simple. Working for Costco beats Walmart. 

Thanks for throwing down the gauntlet USMC-Ret.  Hehehehheeh.     Though the wife still likes to look for clearances there I quit shopping at WM 2 years ago. I sit on the bench at the door and kibbutz with their employees.

I have never had one say they "loved working there." 

Moot, 

The thread is about jobs, not your perception of goods and services. It's simple. Working for Costco beats Walmart. 

exactly my point.............. i'll bet employees of outback would love to make what employees of mortons make.

I have been inside of walmart & Costco and IMHO not many frontline walmart workers would ever be hired at a Costco.

I have been inside of walmart & Costco and IMHO not many frontline walmart workers would ever be hired at a Costco.

Thankfully you aren't in that position. I have met three that were hired by Costco from Wallmart. 

Thankfully you aren't in that position. I have met three that were hired by Costco from Wallmart. 

thankfully im not in it either. I have no compassion (or so my ex told me)

USMC-Retired

The last thing I do is go into Costco or Walmart and ask where they worked last.  Like I could care, NOT.  I was there for the $99 32" LCD TV not to discuss the employment habits of employees.  People that think there is a career at Walmart are just plain stupid.  Those same people that think oh if we bitch enough it will change are equally as dumb.  I do not care if Walmart makes $1 or $5 million dollars.  I want my goods cheap and if Kroger HEB Walmart Target Costco have it,, well that is where you will find me.  It is hard to fix stupid and we really should stop trying.  

Edited by USMC-Retired
  • Like 3

The last thing I do is go into Costco or Walmart and ask where they worked last

Tough actor, eh? It so happens our WM and Costco are less than a mile from each other. While chatting with people I get to know them and recognize when I see them out and about, or they suddenly change jobs to Costco. Nice try. 

​Life is about people, not inanimate consumer goods. 

smokey

Moot, 

and working at walmart beats SM and ayala which have the same Chinese stock but pay their employees 1 dollar an hour 

• Like 4
CardiacKid

It is hard to fix stupid and we really should stop trying.  
One of Jeff Foxworthy's best lines was "You can't fix stupid". 
Nangulo

One of Jeff Foxworthy's best lines

Ron White

• Like 2
It is hard to fix stupid and we really should stop trying.  

Tell that to the Railroad workers, the Miners, the Auto workers, Longshoremen, who organized and striked for higher pay and better working conditions during the last Great Depression. Add the Farm workers   We have the same thing here, capital taking advantage of the employees. 

Edited by hoz
Majorsco

Tell that to the Railroad workers, the Miners, the Auto workers, Longshoremen, who organized and striked for higher pay and better working conditions during the last Great Depression. We have the same thing here, capital taking advantage of the employees.

And what good has labor unions done for their members lately?

Hostess bakers struck and management closed and sold the company. How many jobs lost over higher wage/benefit demands?

How about auto industry? Unions demands made it fertile for foreign car companies to open non union plants competing with American companies with former American auto workers working in them. Detroit bankrupt and most of Michigan depressed as a result. Add to that GM's bankruptcy that had to be bailed out by taxpayers.

If people don't want to work for Walmart they don't have to. It is entirely their choice. Those people can work for union ruled companies if they want to, but there are fewer and fewer of those every year, partly due to union excesses.

• Like 3

I know more about the Hostess  fiasco than you think. A personal friend had 12 years there and was planning retirement. The strike was about Hostess reneging on benefits and pensions, twice. The employees made concessions several times  over the years in an attempt to keep the doors open. Hostess stole millions from the pension fund by declaring bankruptcy. Guess you think that's OK? 

Unions have been losing since Reagan and so has the middle class. All the money is being concentrated at the top. Maybe it's time for the pendulum to swing back the other way. Where there is a choice, Walmart is losing market share. As people learn they sell cheap crap and treat their employees likewise.   I wouldn't mind if they went bottom up.

• Like 2