Why Do 1.4 Million Americans Work At Walmart, With Many More Trying To?

Salty Dog

You mean like the Walton heirs???

No doubt the Walton heirs are getting rich but how much richer might those in the Philippine be getting with lower rents, lower labor costs and no health insurance or benefits to most if not all of their employees. As I wrote before, no one forces those people to work for Walmart, they are doing it because there are no better jobs to be had or they do not qualify for those that are.

• Like 1
  • Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hoz

• lifeisgood

• KID

• Enuff

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

By Doug Altner, Forbe   Observe any hiring center for a new Walmart and you will see thousands of individuals eager to become a Walmart associate. Many already have jobs at fast food restaurants, su

Start a business, hire people and give them a good wage that you deem as fare.  Stop whining and do something about it.  

and working at walmart beats SM and ayala which have the same Chinese stock but pay their employees 1 dollar an hour 

Posted Images

Walmart is a race to the bottom for American workers. Those "low low prices" translate to many minimum wage workers without representation in the workplace, no benefits and not much hope of advancement. Sure, we hear of the few who supposedly "do well" working there, but that's the minority. The rest are wage slaves.

As for competition, Walmart enters a market with one aim in mind, destroy the competition. We all know how they break the Mom and Pop local shops. They use their buying power to undercut anyone who would stand in their way of domination, often selling products at a loss. Time enough to raise prices AFTER they are the last man standing. And since Walmart is now the last game in town people almost HAVE to take what ever they can get. Still, turnover at Walmart is high, I wonder why???

Costco uses an almost opposite business model. They start their people at $14 hr, pay benefits, and have very low turnover. Where would YOU rather work?

walmart has never put any mom & pop stores out of business!!  they lose customers because of walmarts lower prices.

if people were loyal to their mom & pop stores they would still be around.

my last car I bought I purchased from a dealer 1 hour away and save almost $6k............... someone said I wasn't supporting my community because I wasn't supporting my local dealer. how is overspending $6k supporting anything other than foolishness? if my local dealer had better prices I would have certainly purchased from them. I don't frequent walmart, but I have on occasion because they are 24 hrs and sometimes situations arise in the middle of the night. personally I believe they sell cheap china crap and although they have low prices, low quality as well. they major problem is that EVERYONE, even mom & pop stores sell the same crap. my favorite store, tractor supply, is the exact same............. everything is imported. I would love to pay 3 times more for quality American made products but we don't have any.

• Like 1

You mean like the Walton heirs???

Not to mention the fact that they built the Empire on "made in America" then turned around and stabbed the American worker/consumer in the back with Chinese goods

Edited by KID
  • Like 1

Mom and Pops do not have the buying power of Walmart. Consequently they can't sell at the same low prices. THAT is the way Walmart breaks the backs of local competition.

wow, this is so ironic..................

im sitting here watching the rangers & bruins hockey game when this commercial come on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=vrDOc-6hjXk

I couldn't stop laughing

Yeah, that piece of propaganda against Union workers will have Americans laughing, all the way to the poorhouse. 

• Like 1

Mom and Pops do not have the buying power of Walmart. Consequently they can't sell at the same low prices. THAT is the way Walmart breaks the backs of local competition.

if people are loyal to a store, prices really shouldn't matter................... there is a local farmers market 1/2 mile from mile house. when they are open (mon-sat) during spring, summer & fall, I spend more there than anywhere else. they are my neighbors, they sell fresh quality goods and everything is grown locally. I have no problem paying 2 times a much for quality. I people were truly worried about the mom & pop stores they would still be open but the fact is that most people only care about the bottom line, just like these corporations.

as far as propaganda it goes both ways. there are people trying to unionize just as there are people trying to break/avoid unionization. is either wrong? there will always be pro-union & anti-union, democrats & republicans.......... as long as people have an opinion there will be differences. I say if you want to work for a union company, go work for a union company. I hate when people take a job and expect everyone else to change to suit their needs. 

Cause and effect Mook, cause and effect. The middle class in America was built in unions. With the current demonization of unions the middle class has been decimated. Scab all you want, I'm out of it, thanks to my UNION pension.  

• Like 3

1. Walmart
> U.S. workforce: 1.4 million
> CEO compensation: $20.7 million
> Revenue: $469 billion
> Net income: $17.0 billion
> No. of U.S. stores: 4,759

There are 1.4 million Wal-Mart Stores Inc. (NYSE: WMT) associates working at the company’s 4,759 U.S. stores. Walmart recently announced it would launch Black Friday sales at 6 p.m. on Thanksgiving Day. Critics of Walmart see this as adding insult to injury — forcing retail workers who already earn low wages to cut holidays short. Criticisms like these have been part of an onslaught of claims that Walmart underpays its workers. Walmart disagrees, saying that “for tens of thousands of people every year, a job at Walmart opens the door to a better life.” According to the company, a full-time hourly wage is $12.83. Some argue that the company’s number is inflated, however, reflecting the salaries of higher-paid employees. Hourly wages for sales associates are less than $9.00, according to Glassdoor.com. Walmart’s net income rose to $17 billion last year.

Read more: Ten Companies Paying Americans the Least - Wal-Mart Stores (NYSE:WMT) - 24/7 Wall St. http://247wallst.com/special-report/2013/11/15/ten-companies-paying-americans-the-least/#ixzz2m4WSGfat 
Follow us: @247wallst on Twitter | 247wallst on Facebook

Scruffydog

If you have been working at Wal-Mart 10 years and are still stocking dog food then you have  reached your ability level. You should progress and grow in your life.If you have been doing an entry level job for many years, it's you not them.

• Like 2

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101235627

"On what should be the happiest day of the year for retailers, Wal-Mart workers and supporters held Black Friday protests outside stores. They planned demonstrations outside 1,500 stores around the country.

"Everyone has a living wage and we need one, too," said Myron Byrd, 45, a Wal-Mart worker and protester who was led away in handcuffs by police. He was one of two employees arrested for allegedly blocking traffic at a demonstration by about 75 people outside a store in Chicago's Lakeview neighborhood.

Hoping to bring attention to their demands for improved working conditions, protesters want the giant retailer to increase wages by 42 percent from $8.81 an hour."

They even arrested Santa Claus!!

If you have been working at Wal-Mart 10 years and are still stocking dog food then you have  reached your ability level. You should progress and grow in your life.If you have been doing an entry level job for many years, it's you not them

Same old ad hominem. 

Compare Walmart to Costco:

http://jobs.aol.com/articles/2013/06/12/walmart-costco-comparison/

Average Cashier Salary

Walmart: $8.53 [Glassdoor]
Costco: $15.60 [Glassdoor]

Average Pay For Low-Level Managerial Position

Walmart: $44,774 [Glassdoor]
Costco: $53,956 [Glassdoor]

Number Of Employees Receiving Health Insurance Coverage

Walmart: "more than half" of employees [Businessweek]
Costco: 88% of employees [Businessweek]

More: Why Is It So Hard To Get An $8 Job At Walmart?

Turnover Rate

Walmart: 37% [self-reported]
Costco: 24% [InvestorPlace]

Position On The Minimum Wage

Walmart: Supported raising the federal minimum wage in 2006, but has remained mum in the recent debate. [NBC News]
Costco: Supports raising the federal minimum wage to over $10-an-hour. CEO Craig Jelinek wrote a letter urging Congress to do so. [The Huffington Post]

Percent Of Workforce That Is Unionized

Walmart: 0 [Reuters]
Costco: 15 [Businessweek]

Opportunity For Advancement

Walmart: "Nearly three-quarters of our store management teams started out in hourly positions." [The Huffington Post]
Costco: 70 percent of warehouse managers allegedly started as cart-pushers and cashiers. On principle, the retailer doesn't hire business school graduates, and instead sponsors its lower-level employees through graduate school. [Businessweek]

CEO Compensation (2012)

Walmart: $19.3 million ($1.3 million salary, $4.4 million bonus, $13.6 million in stock grants) [Businessweek]
Costco: $4.9 million ($650,000 salary, $200,000 bonus, around $4 million in stock options) [Businessweek]

Most Recent Quarterly Year Over Year Earnings

Walmart: Up 1.1% [Wall Street Journal]
Costco: Up 19% [NBC News]

• Like 1
smokey

Not to mention the fact that they built the Empire on "made in America" then turned around and stabbed the American worker/consumer in the back with Chinese goods

well nothing is made in american any more so its a mute statement.... anyone wearing a pair of NIKE well they sure were not made in america 

...and Costco stays closed on Holidays.

• Like 2

http://jobs.aol.com/articles/2013/06/12/walmart-costco-comparison/

Average Cashier Salary

Walmart: $8.53 [Glassdoor]

Costco: $15.60 [Glassdoor]

Average Pay For Low-Level Managerial Position

Walmart: $44,774 [Glassdoor]

Costco: $53,956 [Glassdoor]

Number Of Employees Receiving Health Insurance Coverage

Walmart: "more than half" of employees [Businessweek]

Costco: 88% of employees [Businessweek]

More: Why Is It So Hard To Get An $8 Job At Walmart?

Turnover Rate

Walmart: 37% [self-reported]

Costco: 24% [InvestorPlace]

Position On The Minimum Wage

Walmart: Supported raising the federal minimum wage in 2006, but has remained mum in the recent debate. [NBC News]

Costco: Supports raising the federal minimum wage to over $10-an-hour. CEO Craig Jelinek wrote a letter urging Congress to do so. [The Huffington Post]

Percent Of Workforce That Is Unionized

Walmart: 0 [Reuters]

Costco: 15 [Businessweek]

Opportunity For Advancement

Walmart: "Nearly three-quarters of our store management teams started out in hourly positions." [The Huffington Post]

Costco: 70 percent of warehouse managers allegedly started as cart-pushers and cashiers. On principle, the retailer doesn't hire business school graduates, and instead sponsors its lower-level employees through graduate school. [Businessweek]

CEO Compensation (2012)

Walmart: $19.3 million ($1.3 million salary, $4.4 million bonus, $13.6 million in stock grants) [Businessweek]

Costco: $4.9 million ($650,000 salary, $200,000 bonus, around $4 million in stock options) [Businessweek]

Most Recent Quarterly Year Over Year Earnings

Walmart: Up 1.1% [Wall Street Journal]

Costco: Up 19% [NBC News]

yes, I would love to show the differences between Outback Steakhouse and Mortons of Chicago ...............

my opinion there is no comparison. if you want a good steak cheap in a stuffed, rushed environment go the Outback. If you want a terrific steak with superb service & atmosphere head to Mortons & be prepared to shell out 5 times as much.

walmart is a low cost retailer. they are open 24 hours (most locations) and offer groceries, pharmacy & typically stock over 100,000 items making it a one stop shop for many. they spend a ton a money on security and have an employee theft rate at an average of 2% to 4% (industry standard). the last report I can find shows 3 million in shoplifting loss posted in 2007.

Costco is a high end retailer. they only cater to members who can afford the $55 annual membership fee and don't mind buying months worth of items at a time (which no low-income family can afford to buy in bulk when living paycheck to paycheck) they typically have 4000 items per store, limiting what you can get, requiring a trip to yet another store to get the rest of your basic needs. they also have a very progressive security policy requiring members to stand in line to get out of the store with employees checking receipts. they publicize an employee theft rate of less than 0.2% (industry best). I couldn't stats on there shoplifting #'s.

bottom line is they aren't the same. please do a comparison between target & walmart or Costco, sams club & BJs warehouse or lowes & home depot.

by the way, im a member at Costco and though I don't frequent as much as I like, I do enjoy the food court and fewer low income shoppers. in now way shape or form a fan of or a frequent customer of walmart. but I respect that they have a business to run. if people don't want to work for what they offer, don't work there. if they hit a hiring slump they will have to pay more to attract workers. if people don't like there practices, don't shop there. mom & pop stores and other chains will gladly take your money just the same.

this is a world of choices and every time we force someone to do something to conform to everyone else, all of our choices are reduced.