Why Do 1.4 Million Americans Work At Walmart, With Many More Trying To?

Salty Dog

Walmart’s relationship with its employees is win-win. Every wage that it pays is one that the employee accepts and a large number of individuals have successfully worked their way up the retail giant. So, let’s stop attacking Walmart for paying market wages.

This thing reads like a shill piece.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hoz

• lifeisgood

• KID

• Enuff

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

By Doug Altner, Forbe   Observe any hiring center for a new Walmart and you will see thousands of individuals eager to become a Walmart associate. Many already have jobs at fast food restaurants, su

Start a business, hire people and give them a good wage that you deem as fare.  Stop whining and do something about it.  

and working at walmart beats SM and ayala which have the same Chinese stock but pay their employees 1 dollar an hour 

Posted Images

I predict Walmart is going to do quite well today on "Black Friday".

Yeah, there were two store donnybrooks and a shooting on the Thanksgiving day opening. Black Friday may be exceedingly black. 

You couldn't pay me to shop there this weekend. 

Britishandproud

Walmart took there Black Friday to there UK company called ASDA today for first time. There were loads of people and the TVs, bikes, microwaves etc that was slashed in price was gone within minutes.

USMC-Retired

I was offered a position with Walmart before I started at the Sheriff's office as a loss prevention manager.  The starting pay was 18.50 an hour on a 43 hour work week.    So if you have a some skills they pay ok.  You are not going to be a millionaire working at Walmart.  

• Like 1

Salty...what is it with you and uneducated Americans having shit jobs and earning next to nothing? are you anti American?

You are not going to be a millionaire working at Walmart.  

Most of their "associates" can't afford basic needs. They are given less than 30 hr's a week, are not eligible for healthcare or other benefits and are schooled to sign up for food stamps and government assistance. Taxpayers are in essence, subsidizing WM's business model. 

These pie in the WalMart sky success stories touted in their advertising and in the OP does not apply to the majority of their workforce. 

• Like 2

And if there was no Walmart, then a lot of people would be without jobs, and I will guess then on some sort of govt assistance anyway. No one forces anyone to work in a place such as Walmart, it has become a necessity for many due to the new economy which people can blame on whoever they wish but the people of the US now have to live with it. Then on top of that, Walmart and other discount stores make life less expensive for those people who shop at them, not only by their lower prices to buy items but because of the competition they give to other superstores, which then makes them lower their prices as well, something I wish we would also see happening in the Philippines instead of the fat cats getting richer off the backs of their underpaid workers. 

Anyone who knows the Philippine should be wondering how come Walmart can pay their workers that much and in the Philippines they pay their workers peanuts but the prices we the consumers pay are often higher than things sell for in the US superstores, somebody is getting all that money and it is not the employees of the Philippines. 

One of the reasons that I feel it is less expensive FOR ME to live in the US is because of all the superstores.

These pie in the WalMart sky success stories touted in their advertising and in the OP does not apply to the majority of their workforce.

I know a guy who worked at wally world for 3 years----got a $0.20 increase during his stay

US Average Hourly Earnings:-----24.10 USD for Oct 2013

IBISWorld says the average Wal-Mart worker earns $8.81 an hour

Edited by KID
towboat72

Salty...what is it with you and uneducated Americans having shit jobs and earning next to nothing? are you anti American?

Really don't understand this comment????????

I have several friends that work at  walmart and are very happy one has worked there for twelve years now,make a very good wage .

its like any job you have you can make it want you want it to be ..I have many people work for me that were good hard working people and they were paid for that...had others that  did not work for me very long and did not understand why  the were layed off .

Edited by towboat72
  • Like 1

I have several friends that work at walmart and are very happy one has worked there for twelve years now,make a very good wage .

I talked to a guy in Fayetteville Arkansas a few years back that had worked for walmart for several years and was making $17.50 an hour

He said he liked his job and all that but the more he gained per hour the less hours they would let him work while the newer employees all got to work 40 hours :idontknow:

• Administrator
Salty Dog

I find these articles stimulate some spirited debates on here. Right or wrong, these are subjects that we often deal with in our daily lives.

How many times do I have to say that just because I start a topic, it doesn't mean I agree or disagree with the topic. In fact many topics are much too complex to have a simple right or wrong solution.

You never saw a personal post from me calling anyone uneducated. Shit jobs and earning next to nothing are your words, not mine. I've only known a few friends who worked at Walmart, but they all seemed to be happy with their jobs. Would they have liked more pay, well of course, who wouldn't? Can a person live on Walmart pay? I suppose that depends on each persons situation. Someone on here said they were offered $18 an hour starting pay. That's close to $40,000 a year. In my home state of Florida I can have a nice house or apartment, a new car and still afford to eat out several times a week on $18 an hour. But I don't have children and I don't owe more money than I have. No one makes anyone have more children or buy more things than they can afford. Unfortunately though, that is the way many Americans live.

As for being anti-American, i din't feel I have to justify my nationalism and patriotism to anyone, especially someone who isn't even an American citizen.

Edited by Salty Dog
  • Like 2

I would think it would be a pleasure to serve and assist the 'people of Walmart' customers?   :wheel:

attachicon.gifWalmart-03.jpg

Shop and Awe!

To quote Agent Smith, "It's the smell." :)

I took my asawa last night to Walmart to experience Black Friday for the first time. The stench was appalling and she nearly threw up. In the end we could not stand it and left. You'd have to pay good money for anyone to tolerate that every day!

Edited by davewe
  • Like 1

Walmart is a race to the bottom for American workers. Those "low low prices" translate to many minimum wage workers without representation in the workplace, no benefits and not much hope of advancement. Sure, we hear of the few who supposedly "do well" working there, but that's the minority. The rest are wage slaves.

As for competition, Walmart enters a market with one aim in mind, destroy the competition. We all know how they break the Mom and Pop local shops. They use their buying power to undercut anyone who would stand in their way of domination, often selling products at a loss. Time enough to raise prices AFTER they are the last man standing. And since Walmart is now the last game in town people almost HAVE to take what ever they can get. Still, turnover at Walmart is high, I wonder why???

Costco uses an almost opposite business model. They start their people at $14 hr, pay benefits, and have very low turnover. Where would YOU rather work?

• Like 1

instead of the fat cats getting richer off the backs of their underpaid workers. 

You mean like the Walton heirs???

• Like 1

The stench was appalling and she nearly threw up.

In Portland, Oregon? I would think they know about soap, water and foo foo dust up there.

• Like 1