Sign in to follow this  
foolish

Getting credit for a car

foolish

I was wondering what kind of hoops you would have to jump through to buy a new Multicab on payments?

I am considering buying a multicab for my FIL as he can work using it

I know he will never pay the payments but it may be better for me as then I can say you need money go to work lol

Salty Dog

I've heard the interest rates are out of this world here. I have one of the conversion Suzuki Vans which some call a multicab. Bought it from a friend who had it about a year. I've had it almost 3 years and only problem I had was a burst cooling hose. Of course when they replaced it they didn't bleed the system good so I had to take it back to get it fixed. I keep it tuned up and serviced. It's a 16 valve, 4 wheel drive with a/c.

Van 005.JPGVan 007.JPG

Monsoon

Im curious what they quote on "new" multicabs?

For a new OEM.vehicle in NCR with standard.down.payment its about 12%. So i can only imagine its higher for multicabs.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Enuff

i have been looking at one online in Bohol. 2010 suzuki automatic for p135,000. I was curious about the reliability...........

102404592_4f4b5b7e80e282d12334695cf8c002

Edited by bigmook

MIDNITERIDER

Watch out for flood damaged cars ! 

Salty Dog

Im curious what they quote on "new" multicabs?

For a new OEM.vehicle in NCR with standard.down.payment its about 12%. So i can only imagine its higher for multicabs.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

That's not bad, although my bank in USA offers less than 1%. I've seen new Honda motorcycles that work out to about 30%. Many Filipinos just can't come up with cash up front so they have to take it. I've known some that make weekly and a few even daily payments.

rstgsm

hi why buy a motor that has been cut and shut or that's what we call it in the uk you are buying a death trap in a crash it will just fold up as the joints are straight cut and welded

Salty Dog

hi why buy a motor that has been cut and shut or that's what we call it in the uk you are buying a death trap in a crash it will just fold up as the joints are straight cut and welded

Why would the frame have to be cut and welded just to switch the steering and controls from one side to the other? 

• Like 1

CardiacKid

Why would the frame have to be cut and welded just to switch the steering and controls from one side to the other? 

Because they are imported as surplus auto parts, not assembled vehicles. By cutting the frame they avoid the taxes and restrictions on a used vehicle. Many are 20-30 years old. LTO here issues a title to the rebuilder that says it a new vehicle. The safety and quality of a multicab rests solely with the skill of the mechanic doing the conversion. Wiring can be a nightmare, as often the wiring harness is cut and spliced together by twisting the wires together and taping. A few months in the heat and humidity, and the tape falls off. Under dash fires are very common. If you buy one, try to buy from an individual who has had it a couple of years after it has been converted. That way, problems are usually corrected.

• Like 1

Enuff

Because they are imported as surplus auto parts, not assembled vehicles. By cutting the frame they avoid the taxes and restrictions on a used vehicle. Many are 20-30 years old. LTO here issues a title to the rebuilder that says it a new vehicle. The safety and quality of a multicab rests solely with the skill of the mechanic doing the conversion. Wiring can be a nightmare, as often the wiring harness is cut and spliced together by twisting the wires together and taping. A few months in the heat and humidity, and the tape falls off. Under dash fires are very common. If you buy one, try to buy from an individual who has had it a couple of years after it has been converted. That way, problems are usually corrected.

so a 2010 should be fine??

I don't think there is much of a flood concern. van is at resort.

Scottiev

so a 2010 should be fine??

I don't think there is much of a flood concern. van is at resort.

The 2010 just signifies when it was brought to the Philippines and reassembled and licenced, they do that with ALOT of cars here. Call it a 2008 or whatever when its a early 90's model.

As far as the frames on the multicabs go not all of them have been chopped then reweilded, was the first thing i checked on mine.

Also if you are buying a multicab for your FIL to use as a jeepney just remember that he will also need a franchise( route) to go with it and they can cost as much or more than the jeeney itsself.

• Like 1

mactanfamily

A lot of the surplus coming in now were flooded in the tsunami. You cant tell but the wiring and electronics will always have glitches. There will also be underlying rust and corrosion.

shadow

Some common misconceptions in this thread.

16 valve? That would mean it would have to be a 4 cylinder, I've never seen a 4 cylinder in a multicab here, although I am led to believe they have them in Australia.

VERY few frames are cut in this day and age, and never to my knowledge on Vans. They cut the top and side from vans to ship, not the frame (stack them). Some companies cut the frame on pickups to ship, some don't.

Most multicabs are 10-15 years old when imported.

Some loan companies charge 4% (that's per month!).

The dependability of a multicab is wholy dependent on who put it together amd what kind of job they did doing it. Some are very nicely done, others are crap.

• Like 3

Salty Dog
16 valve? That would mean it would have to be a 4 cylinder, I've never seen a 4 cylinder in a multicab here, although I am led to believe they have them in Australia.

Yea I was thinking 4 cylinder, forgot it's only 3. I think mine is a 1986.

Edited by Salty Dog

CardiacKid

Here's a link that provides a history of the vehicles called multicabs here. It might give you an idea how old some of them really   are. http://mjs.home.xs4all.nl/cabover.html   :link:

• Like 1