Gotta tighten the ol' belt a bit, if we are gonna...

But if.you learn how.to cook.you wont have to tell me off when i send you messages about me eating ribs, pulled pork, brisket or burnt ends...

I will still reply to you with "Byte Me", even if I could cook.

• Like 1
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

catch rat put rat on stick hold over fire

you're cookin

Bucket shower? I noticed because my wife insists on putting a bucket in our shower that the thing fills up pretty quick when im having a shower..showers are a big waste of water.

Sorry, I hadn't seen this post until now. Well, as of now, that is exactly how I bath at the farm. I usually wait until early evening, when the water in the tanks has heated all day. Still a bit chilly, though. When bathing by bucket, you do conserve a lot. 

Something made me feel pretty good the other day. Chan's mom said, "Let Paul use two of the (three) tanks. Just give us (the rest of the family) one." Her mom, a selfless woman if there ever was one. She was referring to two of the three current water tanks we have on the farm. Total current capacity is only 3,150 liters. But, since we installed the water harvesting, they fill up quick in the "monsoonal" rains we have here.

It's only a stop gap measure until I can find some decent priced LED bulbs.

I'm afraid you will not find "decent" priced LED bulbs. That is, in comparison with CFLs. You have to keep in mind, Toby, they will last years longer than a CFL, and only draw a small portion of the power that a CFL does. The prices you found, are about what they cost here. Mine were $7.00 each, for 3 watts LEDs.

Edited by Paul
BossHog

It's only a stop gap measure until I can find some decent priced LED bulbs.

CD-R King has some cheap LED bulbs.

Yeah, I know the quality probably sucks and it's frustrating to shop there.

Bought a dozen bulbs and they have been used daily for a year so far with no problems, though.

http://www.cdrking.com/?mod=products&type=category&subcatid=746&main=158

• Like 2
Irenicus

Conservation. Conservation. Conservation. 

Ah, the social liberal eco-hippie is finally coming out I see.

Come to the Light Side, young padawan.

Ah, the social liberal eco-hippie is finally coming out I see.

Come to the Light Side, young padawan.

I wouldn't go quite that far. Had the farm been supplied with power and water, I don't think I would have rushed quite so fast into alternative power and rainwater harvesting. Of course, I am glad that this came up as it has. It has given me the opportunity to finally what I have been wanting to do for ages. 

Nothing better than having a reason to start something good in your life. In this case, it was a gentle push - due to not having a bum gun on the farm. :D 

• Like 1
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

I wouldn't go quite that far. Had the farm been supplied with power and water, I don't think I would have rushed quite so fast into alternative power and rainwater harvesting. Of course, I am glad that this came up as it has. It has given me the opportunity to finally what I have been wanting to do for ages. 

Nothing better than having a reason to start something good in your life. In this case, it was a gentle push - due to not having a bum gun on the farm. :D

it's ok Paul if you start hitting the homesteading site you will see most by far who post on them are quite conservative folks

• Like 1