Sign in to follow this  
hoz

Philippine Govt selling discounted goods to survivors

Chas

Thanks for the heads up, now, I'll donate twice as much to the Red Cross.  BTW, From what I've read, the Phil Red Cross isn't much better than the corrupt govt... any opinions about them?

I have only heard good things about Richard Gordon who I believe is the head of Phil Red Cross. Also, was it not the Phil Red Cross that would not put up with the crap from the politician on Bohol who wanted to control the distribution of relief goods?
  • Like 1

roaddog

Just saying if the wife was trying to receive some aid I'm sure it was needed. I'm sure the foreigner lost everything just like his filipino neighbors.

• Like 2

USMC-Retired

The stories coming out of the news here in Texas are this:

Relief goods have been delayed in warehouses first because customs wanted to charge tax on them.  That was rectified and no taxes will be charged.  Now it is logistics they arrive in Manila and Cebu and no one wants to move them to Tacloban.  So there they sit.  

What DTI says even goes on to kinda confirm it the little releif goods they would die.  Yes however if DTI would move them from warehouses to Tacloban it would solve.  I do not think it is a for profit deal by DTI they are selling new goods from local retailers at a discount.  Yet logistics remains the issue.  The Airlines or the shipping companies are not stepping up to help.  They like always look out for number one and there bank accounts.  Sad......  If they did then this report would not have come out. 

garyJ

After the earthquake in Haiti, the government refused to allow donated goods to be distributed because the import tax was not paid. I'm afraid that the same thing may be happening in the Philippines since corruption is very wide spread there.  

MIDNITERIDER

.......... If the goods were coming from a supermarket I might agree with you, but the OP says they're coming from the government. Where do you think they got them from?

Watch the video and local news feeds. I get them basically interpreted/screened before I form an opinion. They ARE selling some of the donated goods; they are NOT charging customs duties on donated shipments (that has been waived); and even in the English videos (local) it has been shown that the local mayors et al are checking lists of people who voted for them to get goods first or at all. Selling the goods is not all evil although it is morally suspect: there were no stores to spend any money in that they had (if any). Ormoc was 90% structurally destroyed as well and the other 5 landfall hits have been hardly even supplied. 

The problem with warehoused goods is that there are bottlenecks at various points in the funnel of logistics as outlined by the USMC general on the ground. Having the trucks to distribute the goods from as far away as Manila takes time and money (bribes for the ferry operators) over torturous transportation links that cause backups for miles and miles. Then finally at the DSWD govt centers they collect and are slowly distributed to the outlying areas but obviously that is difficult with limited dedicated assets and uncleared or maintained roadways. The wisdom of the DSWD chief in asking for products with longer expiration dates was not as I originally suspected as corruption comes to light now to be a result of the lines of communication (military definition) being clogged.

And oh yeah, those DSWD workers are working their butts off too trying to help their countrymen.

I may disagree with the theory of local first response in the Phils which is really only possible in Western countries (with mayors utilizing their town ambulances exclusively for their errands and no significant fire/rescue capability anywhere except perhaps Manila) and the inadequacy of the outfitting and supplying their military so that it is initially spread too thin  even before mounting a relief operation but that is another subject and nothing will improve until they fund it properly. 

Edited by MIDNITERIDER

Knowdafish

Now it is logistics they arrive in Manila and Cebu and no one wants to move them to Tacloban.  So there they sit.  

This is what I have heard and entirely believe. There is literally tons of relief goods that are bagged up and ready to go, but are not going anywhere. 

Sven

This story was about gov't selling basic supplies at subsidized prices, so people have access to more food than just the donations being distributed.

It was NOT about gov't stealing donated goods.

If the story is true and there's nothing more to it, this looks like a fine initiative, and neither locals nor LinCs should complain, IMHO.

My only concern would be that a government that is subsidizing anything at all, is distorting the economy, and such a setup will always potentially be a magnet for graft and corruption... So it should be a short term measure only.

• Like 1

tomaw

The stories coming out of the news here in Texas are this:

Relief goods have been delayed in warehouses first because customs wanted to charge tax on them. That was rectified and no taxes will be charged. Now it is logistics they arrive in Manila and Cebu and no one wants to move them to Tacloban. So there they sit.

What DTI says even goes on to kinda confirm it the little releif goods they would die. Yes however if DTI would move them from warehouses to Tacloban it would solve. I do not think it is a for profit deal by DTI they are selling new goods from local retailers at a discount. Yet logistics remains the issue. The Airlines or the shipping companies are not stepping up to help. They like always look out for number one and there bank accounts. Sad...... If they did then this report would not have come out.

...... Doesn't the US Navy and Marines have several thousand personal in the area with ships, aircraft and land vehicles to take care of the distribution?

MIDNITERIDER

...... Doesn't the US Navy and Marines have several thousand personal in the area with ships, aircraft and land vehicles to take care of the distribution?

And Sven that was a very reasonable response.

"TACLOBAN CITY—The Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) in Eastern Visayas is investigating reports that some local government officials are hoarding relief goods for victims of Supertyphoon “Yolanda” for reasons that the DILG has not made known yet.

Accused of hoarding relief goods were several mayors and officials of villages in different parts of Eastern Visayas, mostly in Leyte, according to Pedro Noval, DILG director in Eastern Visayas.

“We received reports of hoarding, involving several public officials, and we are now conducting our investigation on this issue,” Noval said."

Read more: http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/536249/hoarding-of-relief-goods-probed#ixzz2lv1YaxL6

• Like 1

no one

Welcome to the philippines :) , why would they give it out for free when they can sellit and make killing , and next ellection winn again after they give pople the money they got seling donated goods, and even if some one will end up in jail for this they can still run and win in next elections so no problem there

USMC-Retired

People are starving and going hungry because not enough relief aid.  So what does the Government do.  Sell them goods knowing very well they have zero access to money with the exception of the rich.  Sorry it is totally of bad taste.  Philippines get in,,,,  give some aid like all the other countries of the world are doing to help your citizens.  

Edited by USMC-Retired

4thDan

You all forget where you are??? How can they make money by giving things away?