Sign in to follow this  
hoz

Philippine Govt selling discounted goods to survivors

hoz

Anyone know if this is true??

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-1063497

"According to the news reported by the GMA network, the DTI has been selling some basic goods like bread, coffee, milk, and processed meat to the people of Tacloban City who was recently devastated by the super typhoon Haiyan. It was mentioned that the DTI is selling these goods in 10% to 30% less than the original price in the market. The people of Tacloban City were left no choice but to grab this little opportunity because, as they stated, they might die in hunger if they will just depend on the 'little' amount of food donations being distributed by the Philippine government. "

Davaoeno

a local Canadian business owner sent me this :

I thought I just want to share what happened to our friend in Borongan,Samar Island: Our Filipina friend queued for 2 hours to receive the relief supplies. When she reach her turn, she was turn down because she was told that she can't have any because she is married to a foreigner. How could that be? We received a lot of aid from foreign countries then this is what she experienced being married to a foreigner? Disgusting!!!!

Our friend is from New Zealand. Her husband is the one helping communicating via radio amateur link together with my husband Simon to send messages from Borongan,Samar to other part of the country by using his generator to power the radio link and we send messages by texting from here in Samal Island to wherever their families and relatives are. To experience this, is just sad really but I think she will complain to the higher authority. This is racism in different way.

Kinda make one feel all warm and fuzzy inside eh?
  • Like 4

broden

my wife will tell you for a fact when she was growing up there were times there was need for relief aid and it was sold to her family and others rather than given

• Like 2

KID

10 million worth of supplies flew out of KC yesterday alone

If these donations end up being sold your going to see a lot of pissed off people

• Like 1

Half Baked

This is racism in different way.

No, its not. Its racism. This quote just reinforces the belief that only whites or Kanos can be racist! Any bias against whites/Kanos isn't "racism", its some other kind of "something else", (but NOT racism!)

Edited by Half Baked

BossHog

It doesn't sound like they're selling donated relief goods but just making food available but at a discounted price.

If so it doesn't seem problematic.

Am I reading the story wrong?

• Like 1

towboat72

It doesn't sound like they're selling donated relief goods but just making food available but at a discounted price.

If its donated then why is the government selling it ----it should be given to the people that need help not sold

even if its not donated it should be given to help people.

Edited by towboat72

hoz

I have read reports there are warehouses stockpiled with relief goods. Why aren't they distributed free before selling stuff?

• Like 2

BoholoX

Came through on my Facebook. Cant believe a CNN journalist wrote it, the grammar is dubious at best.

stingray615

These goods should be given to the people in need, especially if they were donated in the first place.  If someone has lost everything, then what can they pay?  Personally, after reading about the wide spread Phil gov't corruption, and being in the U.S. I did all I could do, and donated to the Red Cross and Unicef, for the typhoon victims, as well as asking others to help also. There's enough pirating going on without taking advantage of these people.

tomaw

.......... If the goods were coming from a supermarket I might agree with you, but the OP says they're coming from the government. Where do you think they got them from?

jtmwatchbiz

Unicef,

redcross ok, unicef no. 

if anyone else has seen the way unicef "volunteers" conduct themselves in these islands they would agree, unless of course one likes to donate to fund drunken and drug fueled chic chasing vacations. 

stingray615

redcross ok, unicef no. 

if anyone else has seen the way unicef "volunteers" conduct themselves in these islands they would agree, unless of course one likes to donate to fund drunken and drug fueled chic chasing vacations. 

Thanks for the heads up, now, I'll donate twice as much to the Red Cross.  BTW, From what I've read, the Phil Red Cross isn't much better than the corrupt govt... any opinions about them?

Also, I have a g/f near Manila who has influential friends in Taiwan that want to donate items.. I told her to ask the Red Cross for advice on how best to go about that..  if anyone can point us in the right direction, we'd like to see the items go to the right hands... ( I think it's one or more large shipping containers)

Edited by stingray615

tokyoman

On 4 corners last night (Aussie ABC doc) people were complaining that victims who supported political rivals at the last elections were not getting their fair share of relief goods

• Like 1

jtmwatchbiz

Thanks for the heads up, now, I'll donate twice as much to the Red Cross. BTW, From what I've read, the Phil Red Cross isn't much better than the corrupt govt... any opinions about them?

i have only seen the unicef "workers" doing this so don't have any first hand experience to believe the red cross is a problem.