Registration for a Car

Hi guys long time lurker

Ok here is what happened I asked my father-in-law to purchase a car for me

He found a good car and purchased it but only got photo copys of the OR/CR :notallthere:

Now he says its no problem he can insure it in the old owners name which seems wierd

The last owner is from Manila and the car has gone through several owners since

Did i just live up to my forum name ?  is it possible to drive this car without any future problems ?

Is there a way to get a new regisration in my name ?

Thanks guys for any ideas

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

OK. This could be an easy fix or a cluster**ck. I don't have a lot of time to answer because I'm actually 'working' today for the first time in two weeks. 

here we go.

A bit of  that perfect vision hindsight:

Never buy a vehicle without the original OR/CR. 

Now that you have done that, Where is your "Deed of Absolute Sale" ??? What do you have in your possession to prove that you own the vehicle? 

It is NOT uncommon for dealers to take a car in trade, and have the owner sign over a blank deed of sale. This is normal in the Philippines. It also allows the new buyer to say, "Second owner na lang." 

But in this case it sounds like you have bought a mess. Your first question should be, "Tatay, Yo pops, where is the deed of sale?" And who is the named parties on the deed of sale? When you come back with this info, I can tell you succinctly what your problem(s) are.  

Edited by Monsoon
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Also, have someone text, LTO Vehicle<Plate Number> to 2600 

in other words "LTO VEHICLE XYT 815" to the number 2600 and tell us what the response is. 

You have to send the text from a major carrier in the Philippines. (Smart, Globe etc. ) 

shadow

Hi guys long time lurker

Ok here is what happened I asked my father-in-law to purchase a car for me

He found a good car and purchased it but only got photo copys of the OR/CR :notallthere:

Now he says its no problem he can insure it in the old owners name which seems wierd

Did i just live up to my forum name ?  is it possible to drive this car without any future problems ?

Thanks guys for any ideas

Pretty common here. Your proof of ownership lies in the train of deeds of sale. Don't even try to put it in your name, drive it until you are ready to sell it, and pass on the favor. Pay the registration fees every year and don't worry about it.

This is common here. I have a car in my drive way that was last seen by it's registered owner in 1992. I spent several days in Cebu last week looking for a cheap car for a friend, about half of those listed on Ayos Dito were lacking original OR and CR.

Davaoeno

I just bought a car and had it transferred to my name.  Considering the process i had to go thru with the original OR?CR  and Bill of Sale [ notarized] in hand ,  In my opinion without the original Or and CR  and without a Bill of Sale to you then you will never be able to put the car in your name . nor will you ever be able to sell the car.  Sure you can register it in the old owners name - but only for the 100,000 peso public liability which cost about 600 pesos.  You might not even be able to renew the registration when it expires

I suggest you ask your fil to get the money back .  

@ monsoon    He says he has deed of sale  the guy he bought it off  drove it for years under the last owner . the bill is from him to me  . Its not from a dealer

@ shadow and daveno    conflicting ideas here   shadow says no problem daveo says I may not be able to regisater it ?

I will drive it to the end of its life if its ok for me to do it legally  .  I would like to fix it up though . New paint, stereo.etc  but will not if its going to be a problem 

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Pretty common here. Your proof of ownership lies in the train of deeds of sale. Don't even try to put it in your name, drive it until you are ready to sell it, and pass on the favor. Pay the registration fees every year and don't worry about it.

This is common here. I have a car in my drive way that was last seen by it's registered owner in 1992. I spent several days in Cebu last week looking for a cheap car for a friend, about half of those listed on Ayos Dito were lacking original OR and CR.

Personally I would not follow this advice or accept this as OK. MAYBE, if we are talking about a 'clunker' or a motorcycle. But even then, CAVEAT EMPTOR. 

The OP didn't mention a trail of DOS's. But maybe the OP doesn't know quite yet what he has. Thus my original questions. I wouldn't buy any vehicle that was more than one leap from the last registered owner. But thats me. A lot of people do in fact do what Shadow has described. But then, some people will discount bungie jump. LOL, ok a bit of an extreme metaphor but you asked if there was a way to get the registration into your name. 

At the same time, as Shadow suggests, you could charge forward with this car and never have a problem. Personally, I would pass on any such deals, it just further complicates any resale attempts. 

• Like 1

well Its to late for sure the money has been payed and getting a refund will be impossible from past dealings lol

I,m not really worried about resale but would like to have it in my name one day

So monsson your saying I am out of luck on getting it in my name ever ? Of if I get a trail of deeds would that help ?

I have no idea what their is for papers really   I did say make sure you get the OR/CR with no photo copys but Papa just went ahead saying best car best deal

I haven't read the balance of this thread. But, to be honest, as long as you, or someone, goes and renews the registration yearly, I really don't think it will matter whose name the vehicle is in. The only issue I can see, right off, is that you will probably not be able to insure it in the Philippines. So, be prepared to pay cash, in case of being involved in any accident.

If ever stopped at a traffic stop, show them the current CR and OR (you should only keep photo copies in your glove box), and tell them the name on the registration is your wife's uncle, aunt, father, mother, whatever.

• Like 2
shadow

Personally I would not follow this advice or accept this as OK. MAYBE, if we are talking about a 'clunker' or a motorcycle. But even then, CAVEAT EMPTOR. 

The OP didn't mention a trail of DOS's. But maybe the OP doesn't know quite yet what he has. Thus my original questions. I wouldn't buy any vehicle that was more than one leap from the last registered owner. But thats me. A lot of people do in fact do what Shadow has described. But then, some people will discount bungie jump. LOL, ok a bit of an extreme metaphor but you asked if there was a way to get the registration into your name. 

At the same time, as Shadow suggests, you could charge forward with this car and never have a problem. Personally, I would pass on any such deals, it just further complicates any resale attempts. 

He is not talking about buying it or not, it is already his. He has nothing to lose by driving it till it drops, just renew the registration every year. This is how the Filipinos have been doing it since day 1.

To contradict one point Davao made about selling it, yes, you can resell it when your done, to most filipinos. Price it accordingly. They do the same thing with land titles, sometimes they never changed and are priced accordingly.

STOP thinking Western world and think Filipino. It cost P3000 to put a car in your name. Why bother if you can just sell it later and pass on the paperwork to someone else? Hell, I did this for years with cars in the US..., It's called "open title" in the auto auction world.

• Like 3
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

STOP thinking Western world and think Filipino. It cost P3000 to put a car in your name. Why bother if you can just sell it later and pass on the paperwork to someone else? Hell, I did this for years with cars in the US..., It's called "open title" in the auto auction world.

I agree with one exception: That is known as "skip title" or "title skipping" and if the vehicle has any substantial  value the dealer will take a pass because the relevant sales tax has been bypassed. 

Anyway  to the OP - If you have a trail of deeds you own the vehicle. If you don't have the deeds, you don't. But as has been previously alleged, that necessarily does;t mean you will encounter any problems either way.  

Mabuhay.

Welcome to the Philippines. 

• Like 1
shadow

Filipinos seldom know they are supposed to get original OR and CR.

He's right, he can, and your right, it seems wierd, but that's they way it often is.

Nothing unusual. I have a car in my yard was last registered in 1992, it's been through 3 owners since and is up to date and legal to drive. I am now selling it to another forum member who is aware of the paperwork.

is it possible to drive this car without any future problems ?

Yes, no problem.

Yes, but you will need the whole trail of deeds of sale as well as an affidavit of loss from the registered owner. It can only be processed in the office that it was last registered in. If it was last registered in the Manila LTO office, it has to be processed in that Manila office.

This comes from the experience of being invloved with the purchase and/or sale of 20 or so cars in the Philippines. I hope he got a good deal, as cars with improper paperwork are worth less, (just like land transcations here) other than that you can drive it and sell it in the original owners name, just as the Filipinos have been doing for years...

shadow

That is known as "skip title" or "title skipping" and if the vehicle has any substantial  value the dealer will take a pass because the relevant sales tax has been bypassed. 

I'm sure it's known by a few other things, as well. I agree that most dealers will take a pass, and depending on the state about the taxes too. Still plenty of private buyers will do it though, I actually prefered it that way as I was only allowed to turn 5 vehicles per year without a dealers license.  As long as they didn't go into my name, nobody was the wiser...