Scam or not? GF in hospital with dengue...

Copied from medical site.

As a field expedient measure we were told to piss on our buddies if not enough water. Can't tell you how many of us wanted to do that to some of the guys.

Some one else using her phone?

She never checks messages?

Ain't like no female I know.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sven

• Paul

• Monsoon

• thebob

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Okay, so I can no longer control myself :-) Now I texted her...   Hi sweetie, I have checked with some other people and found that natural remedies (like tawo-tawo) are not very effective in most ca

I guess you are in the Philippines now? If you are, why not visit her in her hospital? We are mobile people/transportation is cheap here. Buy a dozen of roses and visit her in her room. If she is ther

Hilarious. Sven will want to be hitting up the edit function toot sweet.   So, which outcome are you hoping for Sven?     a.) She's a garden variety scammer with no imagination        or     b

Unfortunately for my girl, her English spelling is pretty unique... And it was unique in the same way before, during and after the "ordeal". That's one reason I don't believe the "friend hacked my account" story.

The switch from "I'm sick" to "I was hacked" was also too fast. A better con artist would have given it an overnight break, I guess.

Next time I see this coming, I will implement a few extra steps to make sure I identify the scammer with absolute clarity.

It is sad though. This was not some dodgy web cam girl that I never even met...

I got to know her through friends, and she used to be this innocent provincial girl. Uneducated but good-hearted, I thought. I had great fun getting to know her village and family far out in the middle of nowhere. I planned to see her again.

And as I said in the beginning, I care about people. I think this one might just have changed after she moved to the city.

LinC is a great help. I would not have known so instinctively how to deal with this, if I had not read lots of similar stories here previously. I remember hearing about sick caribaos, lolas passing away several times, and medical students faking hospital pictures. Crazy, crazy.

But it is a learning experience. I guess the way to survive in the Philippines is to sharpen the senses... get exposed to countless con attempts, get cheated a few times, learn from it, and ideally have fun in the process.

• Like 4
mactanfamily

This was not some dodgy web cam girl that I never even met...

If I had a dollar for every time I heard the statement "this girl is different"...

Just goes to show how valuable Shadows point man business can be. 

• Like 1
udonthani

the scams can operate at a very petty level. I have somebody who continually asks me to pass them load, having come into the possession of a girl's SIM card, the girl having moved to Kuwait to work months ago. They see a foreigner's name on it and pretend to be the girl, asking for 20 load only. They probably ask all the foreigners on the SIM, all the time hoping that one will bite.

littlejohn

Yea about the my account was hacked thing. Well My wife not long after we got together apparently had a friend she trusted use her account to scam someone else she had been talking to online before we got together. So it CAN happen I can verify that she was not in Manila to accept the funds she was told were sent she was in Davao with me at the time. She immediately changed her account passwords and her friend was pissed as she had planned to con him for more.

Thanks guys, you have given me some excellent ideas.

I have exchanged a few more messages but it is hard to get facts from her. That may be for good reasons though. She was never good with facts when she was healthy either.

She does say her platelet count is 20.000 and her fever is 46.

She says she goes to sleep now. I told her I'm prepared to help her.

If those numbers are true, I think she will not wake up tomorrow...

If she does, I will pursue it further and talk to the hospital then.

She is scamming you!  If her fever is 46 that is 114.8F and she's dead.  She died of seizures hours ago!  That is simply a bogus fever, you don't get that hot and live.

The whole medical scam thing is common here.  I once had a girl tell me she had to have 1,500p for her grandmother to have surgery for her high blood pressure!  She told me if I didn't send the money grandma would die.  Hope it was a peaceful death!

Trust but verify goes a long way here.  Use the Internet to find the number and call the hospital directly.  They should tell you if the girl is a patient or not.

• Like 2
rainymike

To save yourself the drama (although it is a mite entertaining to read), do the homework. I would have recommended that she go to the CCMC for free dengue treatment. End of story. 

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/209117/104-new-dengue-cases-free-tests-care-in-ccmc

We've had relatives who've had dengue and were able to take advantage of various public health programs. Costs were in the hundreds of pesos if I recall correctly. Of course, if it were my immediate family, they'd be going to our hospital and costs would probably be in the low thousands of pesos range - unless there were major complications.

• Like 1

Some of these cons are so obvious you would never fall for it back "home". Here you hear or fall for one over and over. But then I'm not on the livinginarizonia.

• Like 1
littlejohn

I minister (preacher) friend of ours has scammed an American friend of ours to pay for eye surgery for his beautiful young daughter TWICE. We were asked about helping with the same thing too she has never had the surgery though I believe the eye problem is real. Never give money directly offer to pay the hospital and doctor and even then you should verify. Get personally involved if you possibly can.

We helped a boy who had poked his eye I think about 5-6 years old the family couldn't or wouldn't pay for the doctor and meds. We didn't find out about it soon enough for a full recovery but were able to save the eye and he has some vision from it. I'm sure if he ever gets wealthy he can have it surgically repaired but we cant afford to do that for him. It was only a few hundred pesos and a ride to the city that it cost us too. So their are legitimate cases as well just be very careful.

Edited by littlejohn

I got to know her through friends, and she used to be this innocent provincial girl. Uneducated but good-hearted, I thought. I had great fun getting to know her village and family far out in the middle of nowhere. I planned to see her again.   

And as I said in the beginning, I care about people. I think this one might just have changed after she moved to the city

Makes ya also wonder if she would have stayed  innocent if not for the Viking conquest.  ;)

• Like 2

Mate.  This has been interesting episode to follow. You sound like a good man Sven.

And yes.

City life corrupts many innocent provincial girls.  As do foreigners, promising them the love boat. 

• Like 3
MIDNITERIDER

There is no medicine that will cure Dengue so unless you send her some cash  she will have to tough it out at home with plenty of liquids, veges and

fruit

I would say most locals rest at home unless they get DHF 

I would not be so dismissive. There are secondary infections and complications to deal with. Meds in public hospitals are primarily the patient's or patient's family responsibility and often you have to go out and buy them at a commercial pharmacy on your own.

"Sometimes symptoms are mild and can be mistaken for those of the flu or anotherviral infection. Younger children and people who have never had the infection before tend to have milder cases than older children and adults. However, serious problems can develop. These include dengue hemorrhagic fever, a rare complication characterized by high fever, damage to lymph and blood vessels, bleeding from the nose and gums, enlargement of the liver, and failure of the circulatory system. The symptoms may progress to massive bleeding, shock, and death. This is called dengue shock syndrome (DSS).

People with weakened immune systems as well as those with a second or subsequent dengue infection are believed to be at greater risk for developing dengue hemorrhagic fever." 

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/dengue-fever-reference