Scam or not? GF in hospital with dengue...

I try to care about people.

When it comes to women, if I have been intimate with one, I tend to want to keep in touch and make sure she is okay. We may or may not meet again, but in my mind a connection has been established that will always be special.

It does not always work out... but overall this means I have lots of female friends. A good thing for a single male!

At the same time, I have zero tolerance for dishonesty. If someone tries to pull a fast one on me, I want to know all about it, figure out how they do it, learn from it, and kick them out of my life for good.

So this morning I got a text from a filipina that I know. Apparently she is in hospital with dengue. After a bit of back and forth, she is mentioning that the medicine is expensive. Not asking for money, but it is close.

My first instinct is that I want to help, and my second thought that I need to be sure it is true.

I have no special reason to distrust her, but life (and LinC!) has tought me to tread with care. Trust but verify.

A bit of background: The girl is from Bohol, actually a friend of a friend. They are not in the area ruined by the earthquake. I met her half a year ago, as I stayed for a few weeks in country then. We spent maybe a week together overall, travelled around a bit and also visited her family - they seemed okay and not desperately poor. She is a simple provincial girl.

At least she used to be. Since then, she has moved to Manila. I find it slightly worrying that she does not seem to be working there... Just staying with a cousin. But then again, she never had much ambition. Maybe she is doing some housework or whatever... I have not questioned it.

So I came back to the Philippines a couple of weeks ago, and re-established contact with this girl just last week. Facebook messages and one phone call - as late as Saturday. She did not mention any health problems then.

And now she falls ill. She says (via Facebook) that she is in MCI hospital, that she was admitted this morning (Monday) with fever, and that her platelets are very low.

How would you go about this situation?

I plan to call her, but don't really know what to say or ask.

I am thinking, assure her for a start that I am prepared to help. Then I will ask for lots more information.

This will serve the dual purpose of reassuring her that help is available (good if she is sick) while also setting the stage for finding out if it is true.

I guess I see this as an opportunity to learn a bit about dengue, as well as about the girl :-) Probably dengue is bad enough if you are a foreigner with money and insurance... but much worse for a local.

I am not planning to send any money... but there must be other ways to help, e.g. sending medicine. I am not poor and would be happy to help. I could even visit, perhaps.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sven

• Monsoon

• Paul

• thebob

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Okay, so I can no longer control myself :-) Now I texted her...   Hi sweetie, I have checked with some other people and found that natural remedies (like tawo-tawo) are not very effective in most ca

I guess you are in the Philippines now? If you are, why not visit her in her hospital? We are mobile people/transportation is cheap here. Buy a dozen of roses and visit her in her room. If she is ther

Hilarious. Sven will want to be hitting up the edit function toot sweet.   So, which outcome are you hoping for Sven?     a.) She's a garden variety scammer with no imagination        or     b

thebob

If she is posting that she is ill on Facbook, wait and look at her friends posts. Pretty soon information from those visiting should show up.

• Like 2

Call the hospital to see if she has been checked in, I believe the below might be the correct hospital, ask her for the phone number of the hospital and where it is located to be sure.

Medical Center Imus

• Address: Buhay na Tubig St, Imus City 4103, Philippines
    Phone:+63 46 472 3988
  • Like 3

e.g. sending medicine.

There is no medicine that will cure Dengue so unless you send her some cash  she will have to tough it out at home with plenty of liquids, veges and

fruit

I would say most locals rest at home unless they get DHF 

• Like 5

There is no medicine that will cure Dengue so unless you send her some cash she will have to tough it out at home...

I didn't understand that. If no medicine is available, what difference will cash make?

Ask her how low her platelet count is now and for how many days has it been dropping. This will tell you how serious she is.

A few of us in here have had dengue so we know a little about the details.

• Like 2

I didn't understand that. If no medicine is available, what difference will cash make?

It pays the hospital bill they run up for being in the hospital. That's it. I don't know why most people go to the hospital, unless it is the following:

Unless it is hemorrhagic dengue, pretty much all she can do is drink tons of liquids.

Edited by Paul
Majorsco

While there is no cure there are blood tests to confirm it. The basic treatment is to treat the serious symptoms if experienced. Not every case is severe but some are. I have two nieces that had confirmed mild cases and they just drank lots of mitts apple juice and their fever broke within 24-48 hrs and were fine after.

Some people have lengthy hospital stays if its severe or if its the hemorrhagic variety.

• Like 2
thebob

There are supportive therapies, IV to guard against dehydration etc.. In severe cases then blood transfusions can be life saving. It gets expensive fast. I've been through it a few times with family members and friends.

SkyMan

I'd call the hospital first to see if she's there.

If it's a severe case I wouldn't think she'd be messing around on fb.

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 3

I tell ya, I am so glad that mosquitoes do not bite me. I would hate to get Dengue, OR Japanese Encephalitis.

Definitely ring the hospital, or ask her for her count. Either one will probably tell you what you need to know. 

I would make sure it is a live communication if asking her specifics about her stay. If she is lying, she will not have time to think of the appropriate answers.

Edited by Paul
  • Like 1
shadow

Call the hostpital, but be sure you are calling the hospital. Disregard every number she gives you for the "hospital". Find the number elsewhere.

• Like 3