Fragility in infrastructure exposed.

Skywalker

Don't you mean the plink of banjoes

That would be in the land of the cus/sis/ wife/ niece (all one gal)

fwiw, according to the WHO, unburied bodies are not a severe health risk.

used to use them instead of sandbags in WW1 to build trenches.

Only in winter - get squishy in summer.

Not very often mentioned but some reports of frozen dead at Bastogne used in same manner.

Paul,

I rather enjoy being what you you probably call one of the Smiths. Never bought anything just to impress people.

If I wanted it and could afford to pay cash, bought that which best suited my need. If not, once we got established and paid off all debt, saved until I could afford it.

Didn't need 25 year carpet when planning on moving in 5 years, same with cars and appliances. One mistake I never made was buying the cheapest, that will typically wind up costing you more in the long run.

Only thing I splurge on now are small gadgets - Bluetooth mini keyboard, 15,000 Mah 5/9/12 v rechargeable battery, small MP3 player. I've learned that "anticipation is often greater than realization" and get bored with them in a short period of time. That's why I don't but Apple products or Bose speakers.

smokey

*sigh*

I am talking about when a disaster strikes - not normal day to day living.  Of course the indigenous natives can live the lifestyle they've been brought up with.

I am talking about foreigners from the west, who are completely unfamiliar with living in a rural community - townies if you will - who are over 60, on disability (sound familiar?) and have no experience with natural disasters.

Paul has mentioned that he will live 30 kilometres away from medical facilities, off the grid.  Fine for him - his choice.  Would that be a wise choice with a young baby on board?  I'm not so sure.

yes and i cant remember a single indian complaining about his TP not having air con 

This is not even considering the 16-18 foot tidal surge being driven before the storm being pushed several kilometers inland. One only has to look a videos of hurricane "IKE" when it hit Houston in 2008. It leveled Galveston and Baytown where structures and homes were built to US building codes. The "Ike" storm is very close to the size of this Super Typhoon. There would be cargo ships in the SM Mall parking lot right now...

Usually you can count on one island sheltering another but that storm just blew it all away.

Scary.  No place to hide. 

They could make keeping kids in the province illegal.

Call it the 'little house on the prairie' law. 

yes and i cant remember a single indian complaining about his TP not having air con

No need for A/C, the white man kept ventilating them for him.

thebob

They could make keeping kids in the province illegal.

Call it the 'little house on the prairie' law. 

Why would you do that, there were just as many victims in the city?

Edited by thebob
  • Like 1

Why would you do that, here were just as many victims in the city?

OP said keeping kids in the bush was 'tantamout to negligence'

Far be it for us to be negligent.  Pass a law. 

Criminalize those 'Little house on the prairie' types!  :sarcasm: