SuperSpeed USB 3.1 Twice as Fast as USB 3.0

• Administrator
Salty Dog
SuperSpeed USB 3.0 just got super speedier

Kudos and high-fives go out to the USB 3.0 Promoter Group today for announcing the completion of the USB 3.1 specification, which adds enhancements to enable SuperSpeed USB to operate at up 10 Gbps. The added throughput compared to regular USB 3.0 is made possible via more efficient data encoding, allowing the USB 3.1 spec to reach speeds twice as high over enhanced, fully backward compatible USB connectors and cables.

"The USB 3.1 specification primarily extends existing USB 3.0 protocol and hub operation for speed scaling along with defining the next higher physical layer speed as 10 Gbps," said Brad Saunders (PDF), USB 3.0 Promoter Group Chairman. "The specification team worked hard to make sure that the changes made to support higher speeds were limited and remained consistent with existing USB 3.0 architecture to ease product development."

Compared to Thunderbolt, Intel's high-speed data interface is still faster, offering speeds of 10 Gbps per channel for a total of 20 Gbps. Thunderbolt can also take advantage of daisy chaining, something USB can't do. However, USB is a much more widely adopted standard, giving it a significant edge in compatibility.

• Like 1
miles-high

It’s just an announcement… hehe ;)

My personal experience with even 3.0 is such that I don’t keep my hopes too high... :D I have several peripherals with 3.0 but it’s not stable enough to use it even for automatic backup… 2.0 is very stable but I use eSATA for better results…

Guess that’s why the pros are still using the old SCSI standards... haha :D With fibre channel, they tell me it’s much faster and ULTRA stable (throughput)… :)

• Like 1