The Marriage - A union of families?

spritsail

I have often wondered why there are so many posts regarding the bride and her extended family, but so very little about the grooms family - brothers, sisters, sons and daughters reactions on forming a union with a filippino family. It seems all very one sided to me, and I have heard very few accounts how the family in USA or Australia reacts.

A frequent guest to my hotel this year has been a well to do aussie, searching for a bride. His first encounter was disappointing, but last month he met the girl of his dreams, announced the engagement and the betrothal (wedding early next year) . His fiancee, a sweet girl of 25, graduate, with a modest managerial job. He, almost 60. successful business, but slowly winding down to retirement, divorced, has a son (well respected doctor ) and daughter ( corporate lawyer in the higher echelons of society). Both are almost 10 years older than the bride.

My wife, driver and I were invited to the engagement party at the family farm in the mountains around 15 kms from the town. More accessible on horseback than motorcycle as the road expires after 12 kms. It is more like the Zugerberg or the Engelberg Tal in Switzerland than a Philippine island which probably explains why so many swiss are residents here. The fiancee is one of 15 siblings - brothers, sisters and mom and dad along with innumerable children all live in the same dwelling , along with the pigs, goats, chickens, cows etc. Comfort there wasn't but the banter and joviality were definitely filippino. All the neighbors were there making sure they would not miss a titbit from the lechon baboy sizzlling on the open fire.

The fiancees father was present, albeit squatting on his haunches, clothed in nothing more than a loin cloth, still sharpening his bolo and oblivious to the commotion surrounding him. The brothers were still dressed only in the native basket ball shorts and a bolo in its scabbard and sisters, all hugging babies as though it were a maternity creche. It was a jolly evening, and my guest would not have noticed the difference between that dwelling in the mountain than the Dorcester Suite in Park Lane, but I wonder what his family back in a fashionable up market aussie suburb would say.

They are planning to hold the reception at my hotel, more for its obscurity than a more fashionable hotel and its silver service. Finger foods will be the order of the day.

He intends to invite his close family over from Australia so they can get to know the in-laws. which will be an experience to savour - city suits versus loin cloths.

I would be interested to know if others have gotten married to a provincial, farming family girl, and the reactions of your family and guests from the USA or Australia,

• Like 3
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

I would be interested to know if others have gotten married to a provincial, farming family girl, and the reactions of your family and guests from the USA or Australia,

I have been to a few of weddings where these circumstances apply and it can be quite comical to sit back and soak it all in. 

throttleplate

seen this scenario on national geographic before,except the woman were topless,would like to see that in the ph and not get caught looking.I know,wrong country but same thing with drinking,dancing,cooking animal......

Edited by throttleplate